Author Topic: 3.5 floppy reel disk issue  (Read 7388 times)

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: 3.5 floppy reel disk issue
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
Any luck with this?

Studikken

• Sound makes Sense
    • Paris Area - France
    • Studio d'IKKEN
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
aaah...just cleaned both drives gently with 91% rubbing alcohol and q tips, and now the program drive won't begin to load.  the light turns on for a second when I insert the program drive, then just goes dark.  May have to start looking for replacement.  Good places to look?  I asked Recycled Audio in UK for a quote.

Hi there !

Did you get any answer to your problem ? If it might be helpful, I have a used floppy disk drives in the maintenance room, when I got them, everything was working ...  :)
2 dual old style 5"drives + one SL 590 Total Recall Computer Disc (3.5"). I also have 2 Bernouilli drives that I was about to sell.

Hope you'll find a solution

Myriam

Eric Blomquist

• Waterbury Studios
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 04:35:33 AM »
No luck yet.  Anyone use a  FlexiDrive with the SSL?  I'll have a more involved update tomorrow or Friday.  Been a bit busy workin!

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
Hi Eric,

I believe that would be hard to work, but let us know how it went.

Remember that the protocol used is an old SASI, then renamed to SCSI-I. This would be ok if you get an SASI interface, but the problem is that from what we've been able to dig up is that this is a customized SASI interface with some protocol extensions. This had to be done in order to support the Bernoulli drives that worked a little bit differently.  Because of this even a SCSI-I floppy might not work.

I know there was an old SCSI-I floppy manufacturer that work but I think you can't find those anymore also.

Lets us know what you dig up!

PS: you should recheck the "good" program drive. It's hard to believe you damaged it by only cleaning the heads. Are you sure you have all cables connected?

Cheers,

Artur

Eric Blomquist

• Waterbury Studios
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »
unfortunately, I haven't been able to solve any issues.  I took the top cover off to see if the drives are spinning.  The program disk spins a little bit before stopping, probably looking for the reference point on the disk.  The reel disk doesn't spin.  However, the program disk still goes dark when a disk is inserted during startup of the SSL computer.  I'm pretty much at a total loss at this point.  I made the jumpers for the console to bypass the VCA's so I can run the console short term without the Computer.  But without being able to use the VCA groups or mixing...its going to be an interesting month. 

radardoug

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 08:56:23 PM »
Doing a web search I found these guys.
http://www.microanalytic.com/products/ssl/01_610.html
Not sure if they are still going, but they might have a solution for you.

radardoug

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
Then there's these guys.
http://www.datex-dsm.com/
They do SCSI floppies.

PelleG

• Stockholm, Sweden
    • Automan
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »
unfortunately, I haven't been able to solve any issues.  I took the top cover off to see if the drives are spinning.  The program disk spins a little bit before stopping, probably looking for the reference point on the disk.  The reel disk doesn't spin.  However, the program disk still goes dark when a disk is inserted during startup of the SSL computer.  I'm pretty much at a total loss at this point.  I made the jumpers for the console to bypass the VCA's so I can run the console short term without the Computer.  But without being able to use the VCA groups or mixing...its going to be an interesting month.

I happily supply a new computer for you!
A Swedish name and all ...my thought was - you can be up and running tomorrow morning.
Well, Minneapolis is a bit further away :-)
Anyway, you know where to find me.

Best,
Pelle Gunnerfeldt
automanefforts.com

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 08:59:56 PM »
Try to proceed with a new head clean on the program disk, you don't have nothing to loose. Use propyl alcohol.

With the reel disk, what happens somethings is that you don't have power on the motor rail and so it doesn't spin. If this is indeed the problem it's fixable and you can only have a cabling problem somewhere in the floppy<->computer connection.

PS: try also a different program disk (you should have a backup).

Hope you can solve it!

Cheers,

Artur

Clip6

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »
Eric what did Recycled tell you?

Clip6

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 02:05:35 AM »
Need new floppy drive. Just posted on other thread.

For some reason after boot up reel disk light comes on but computer not seeing reel.

Looking for info.

Clip6

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »
Cleaned heads with Q-Tip, reseated cards, new floppies.........all good now.

Side note floppies and controllers are not moded by SSL so easy to find replacements on Ebay.

RoyMixer

• NYC
    • Roy Hendrickson, Mixer/Engineer/Producer
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 04:56:27 AM »
Clip6,

to find those drives on Ebay, what would I search for?

best

Roy

Clip6

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=19307777&_trksid=m570.l1313&_odkw=19307777&_osacat=0

The model # is and the drive and controller. It's just an oem teac drive. SSL did not mod that as told to me by ssl factory tech.

The drive and controller card come together. Inside the ssl 3.5 unit they separate them to lay flat.

Frostbox Labs guy on the forums is a smart guy maybe he can get the HXC or some king of flopppy replacement to work.

Andy Sintech on the forums has the 3.5 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSL-Solid-State-Logic-4000-6000-G-Floppy-Drives-Serviced-Boxed/263523821273?hash=item3d5b3e66d9:g:FBAAAOSwgAtalt0Y

RoyMixer

• NYC
    • Roy Hendrickson, Mixer/Engineer/Producer
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 05:12:49 AM »
Thanks Clip6!