Author Topic: Decommissioning procedure? 4K  (Read 2438 times)

jwhmca

Decommissioning procedure? 4K
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:18:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have been asked to put together a "How to" for decommissioning a 4080 G+... I'm sure I'll end up doing it, but have never done one before and was wondering if anybody could shed some light over the obvious things... even the obvious stuff would be helpful just as a flow chart.

The desk will need to come in half as it was taken in half to get in the room.
"It's all about being a servant."

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
Re: Decommissioning procedure? 4K
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »
We have only done this once so not an expert in any way but I think it went great decommissioning our 4064g+ a year ago. Have a look at our timelapse video here: http://youtu.be/dssRbLo9MVI

Hope it might be to some help.

Cheers,
Uffe

jwhmca

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 05:33:37 AM »
I actually just watched that!

Pretty straight forward? Just unhook everything?

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:00:40 PM »
"just unhook everything" is maybe not the right way to describe it:)

Let me try to explain what we did. Again we are not experts so please people chime in! This is my first and only decommissioning of a large format desk. Do it at your own risk etc. etc.

First there is the discussion of having the 611 ch modules and fader cassettes in or out of the frame during transport. We did most of them in because it was only a 4km drive. They also help keep the buckets mechanical stable some say.

Have all the right tools in high quality ie. screwdrivers, accu screwdriver and bits, big socket wrench set (important for the legs). Cardboard boxes, wheelbases, foam and those truck rope things (don't know the english word). Alu ramps if there is bad terrain the consoles needs to drive on and to get it up in the car. Some kind of rain cover if bad weather. 4-6 fit guys for the heavy tilting and driving the console to the car.

Be gentle and take your time during this process. We used 2 days being 4-6 guys in many hours. I think we might be able to do it in a day with our acquired experience.

Remember to measure and plan the getting out and in of the two studios with the console very carefully.

This is for a SSL 4064G+ with Ultimation faders from 1994.

1. Lable all cables/connectors between console and everything else (audio DL's, computer, psus etc.) and disconnect these.

2. Take off the cover panels behind and below.

3. Take off top trim by removing Vu's to get to the screws.

4. Take off fader trim by removing the middle two fader casettes in each bucket to get to the screws.

5. We took off the side trim (remove 611 ch modules close to it to get to the screws) opposite to the patch to make sure it wasn't scratched during transport. We didn't do this at the patch end because it's more difficult to get to the screws holding it in place.

6. Find the split-point of your console from the installation manual and by looking at the two main iron beams underneath. They have a connection with bolts at this point. At our console it was just right of the 651.

7. Our console have a built in patch so you need to disconnect all the audio cables from the side opposite to the patch crossing down the back of the console. And also the ribbon cables (one each bucket for fader/computer connection). We placed those in the bucket (remove these channel first) just left to the center panel on cardboard for protecting the channel motherboard. See these cables in the video at around 1:17.

There are also a hinge pcb (for meters) just below the patch and I remember that we removed some cables from it. Maybe because of some customization. Can't really remember this in detail.

Maybe there are also some cables for sync accessories in the master section that needs to be disconnected. And maybe for the VDU and keyboard?.

8. There are many small screws holding the two split-buckets together so remove the neighboring channels to unscrew these. I can’t remember if there are screws from the 651 side holding this together as well? As I recall its both in the top front bottom and back of the buckets.

9. Then loosen the bolts holding the main beams underneath together.

10. Now you can slide the two pieces apart but before doing this mount wheelbases like on the video with foam etc.

11. Slide the small piece (with only one leg) apart from the big piece being maybe 6 guys and remember to keep the balance of the thing. Then tilt it on the wheelbases and unscrew the one leg (difficult, takes time...).

12. Do the same with the big piece but be aware that because of the console single middle leg it will be important during tilting to lift in the back beam. Difficult to explain but you will under stand when you see it. The beam is the one you see in the middle bottom of the video at 2:44.

13. Drive it nice and easy without rumbling to the car. Make sure it doesn’t get any rain/snow etc. Place the wheels on foam in the car and have foam surrounding the console. Make sure it can't move during the drive.

14. Remember everything! All from the machine room: 2x audio PSUs, PSU switcher, CPU PSU CPU, (and if Ultimation console stabilized audio PSU and motor PSU) dual floppy drive, main SSL studio computer, any sync accessories, floppies, the backup floppies, the main tower rack all cables, screws, any spare parts, spare channels, spare faders, all manuals etc. etc. VERY IMPORTANT!

15. Drive extremely nice and extremely slow!

So what did i forget?...

Hope you will enjoy the process! It is a memorable event :)

Cheers,
Uffe

xmax

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
There are also a million audio biccs that need to be removed from under the buckets
and the wiring pulled out of the frame so you can split it. May the force be with you.

jwhmca

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »
Hi Guys,

Anybody care to share time estimates on doing this for one guy? Will have multiple guys for any of the heavy lifting, but doing this all myself. Also, fair price range to charge?