Author Topic: Help Needed. SSL 4000 PSU  (Read 4518 times)

analogstudio7

Help Needed. SSL 4000 PSU
« on: November 02, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and a new SSL owner. I bought a used SSL 4040G and I am having issues with the power supply logic rail.

So I have been trying to figure out what is happening with the 7 volt power rail. Can anyone tell me what I should be reading at the output connector on the 661 PSU?

Is the +7 volts (ve) supposed to be on PIN E or PIN G of the connector? And the return (ground) is on which pin then?

I'm seeing some weird meter readings, but just for now need to clarify which pin is supposed to be the Positive and which the Negative?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Greg.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:54:15 PM by analogstudio7 »

paramountrec

• Los Angeles
Re: Help Needed. SSL 4000 PSU
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:12:36 AM »
In my manual it looks like pin E is positive, G negative, but the negative is not grounded in SSL 4Ks.  Instead the 7 volt positive is connected to the +18v rail, which means that the negative 7-volt rail is actually +11v above ground.  This may account for the funny readings you're seeing.  I think they did that to keep logic switching currents out of the system ground (?)

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
Maybe you want to have a look at the document sold here http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=484.0

Otherwise paramountrec is probably right. Measure Pin E (alternatively B, C, D) to G and you should read something around 7V with no load. This is the voltage used for the logic and it's the place to check if that voltage is correct.

Greetings,
Martin

analogstudio7

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 02:01:53 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!

This PSU was modified by the previous owner and he reversed the white & brown PSU wires to the DC output connector! Why...I have no idea.

But the logic voltage readings at pins E & G and from E or G to and from the +18 Volt rail all reads zero volts DC and a few miliVolts of AC that varies! Makes no difference which meter leads (+ or -) are on anyt of the pins...no DC voltage at all...only some very low AC in the single miliVolts range! So go figure. I don't the the previous owner knew what he was doing nor why he made the changes

I am waiting on the receipt of a 4000 series manual and then I will delv into the PSU and trace things out.

Thanak again for the clarification! I really appreciate the help!

Cheers!

Greg

analogstudio7

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 02:30:42 AM »
Thanks again for the help.

Just to clear this post out, I gave up on the 651 psu. Not worth trying to fix it as the further I got into it, the more I found so many brittle wires with the isulation flaking off and lots of burned parts. The transformer was cooking! I measured the temp at 201 degrees F with one of those handheld thermometers. Checking with other repair techs, the money it was gonna cost me I could almost buy a new psu. So, after a lot of thought today I have talked myself into getting the new psu. The one I posted about in the other post I made earlier today.

I really appreciate all you guys helping me out and all the input. And thanks for the links to the schematics and manual, which I really needed!

I hope to be able to payback the help to you all someday...when I know much more! LOL!

Cheers!

Greg

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
Thanks again for the help.

Just to clear this post out, I gave up on the 651 psu. Not worth trying to fix it as the further I got into it, the more I found so many brittle wires with the isulation flaking off and lots of burned parts. The transformer was cooking! I measured the temp at 201 degrees F with one of those handheld thermometers. Checking with other repair techs, the money it was gonna cost me I could almost buy a new psu. So, after a lot of thought today I have talked myself into getting the new psu. The one I posted about in the other post I made earlier today.

I really appreciate all you guys helping me out and all the input. And thanks for the links to the schematics and manual, which I really needed!

I hope to be able to payback the help to you all someday...when I know much more! LOL!

Cheers!

Greg

suggest to have a look at the atomic instruments one. Norman is one of the forum members and a great tech!

Mattia.

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
Keep us updated about the new PSU. We got us an Atomic for our 4000E and are very happy with it. When I was looking for a new PSU I also spotted the one you mentioned on ebay but I could not find any more information plus Atomic hat a solution for plasma meters ready.
Generally I think replacing the PSU is a very good idea unless you already have two perfectly running and serviced PSUs. We had two PSUs coming with our desk, one was broken (faulty caps, no transistors) and the other one was running but in an more or less average condition. But the main reason we bought the Atomic was the need to power down the console at night and reduce power consumption. We never looked back.

analogstudio7

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »
I did buy the GRS psu. It has all of the features and protections that the Atomic unit has plus more, for about half the price. Power consumption is only about 40 to 45% compared to the 661 psu. I know this from our previous GRS psu we had at my old studio. Electricity cost went down and there was a lot less heat in the machine room with the GRS psu running in place of the two SSL 661's.

Plasma metering power built in. One unit powers 56 channels. Soft Start, power to the console sequencing. And the psu will not restart when the power goes out either...like in a power outage. You have to manually restart it so it protects the console. And the same psu we got from GRS that ran the 4032 we had at the old studio I worked at, we used to turn the console off every night too. Never a problem.

GRS told me they don't sell the SSL psu on Ebay, only direct sales from their web site or by phone. I have seen other psus on Ebay that they make for other consoles though.

See my other post. I have more details there too that are kinda interesting about my purchase and my visit this morning to the GRS shop.

Cheers,

Greg

xmax

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »
Good designs are often copied but not equaled.