Tech discussion > 5K Series console

Got a 5k ?

(1/3) > >>

Helterbelter:
Wow, cool, a seperate 5k section !

As I'm from time to time strolling the internet for info about 5k's in use, I think it'd be cool to have a list of consoles still active. I don't expect this list would be getting very long though....

So, if you've got a 5k mixer of any kind , please post here !

Original, cutdown, sidecar, or self compiled, all is fine by me. Although I'd say that it must have at least 1 summed stereo output, otherwise it wouldn't be a mixer, right? Ok, just to please Matt : 7.1 will do as well  !

And pics of your 5k  would be nice ;)

I'll shoot one of small 5k asap and post it here too.  8)

[edit 19-11-15 :]

And, why not making a list of the original SSL 5k consoles.
About 120 made in total.

here's a start :
3 were made for Skywalker Sound. (contained flying faders). All are sold in the late 90s, and at least one is parted out as I seen the fadermodules for sale.
3 made for switzerland broadcasting company Zürich (only 1 still exists, currently setup in Austria, the other 2 are parted out).
1 made for ESPN US, dismantled. (16mono+32stereo 8bus broadcastversion)

Current studios with 5k consoles :
Germany :
- www.dialogstudios.de
- www.pink-studio.de
- Matt (no website)
Netherlands :
- Helterbelter (no website)
France
- www.studiodikken.com
Australia :
- www.facebook.com/Capitalsound-Studios-430035287031010/

Studikken:
Hello !

I'm in : with the very last one in France (I guess).  8)

A 1988 babe : 32 channels, 24 Mic SL 501 I/P, 8 SL 505 dual line I/P, 28 EQ SL 502 and aux sends, 8 compressors in the center part, no automation, and the total recall module which has been removed.
It still work great on music recording and mixing, although it wasn't meant so.

I had the chance te get also lots of spare parts when 2 studios closed around Paris. So I have a really good bundle of stock for my own maintenance.

Who's next ?

Myriam, Studio d'IKKEN

Helterbelter:
Hi Myriam !

Nice !
Do you happen to know who the original owner was ?
And, I tried to make a selfie, but it didn't turn out that well.....

As promised, here are a few pics of mine.

a self compiled 5k .
6 mono channels with EQ,
2 stereochannels with EQ
8 stereochannels without EQ.
3 subgroups
2 aux
1 stereo mainbus
DAW controllers
2x Spectrum analyzers and 1 multipurpose computer (analyzer/midi/vca controller)
some patchable eq's/dynamics, most are DIY clones. I used original 5k blanks that I sent out to Frank NRG for engraving. Some of the DIY modules aren't shown in the pictures below, but i also have a stereo neumann W492 clone module (single width), a racked up stereo Amek BC3 eq module, and 2 x MS insertswitchers with lowcultfilters (I cloned the SL501 18dB/octave filters), gain, and balanced MS insert and balanced stereo insert. One of these is currently mounted in subgroup 1. The second isn't entirely ready yet.

Picture below :
upper row : 3x Windows computers with touchscreens. The one in the middle is currently turned off : I'm going to use this one to add VCA automatable stereo Auxes from all channels. But I can also use it to display an analyzer.

middle row , fltr : dual Amek JP301 micpres + 5k meters / dual 9k Clones + 5k meters / stereo optolimitercompressor project (not ready yet, will be something unique) / Steffen's Supersidechain module, with Crush and Blend function. Mainbusamp and compressor (original SL552 with gssl sidechain added, and of course a nice matching frontpanel !) / switchmodule for the analyzercomputers, including dimmer for the displays, Sl544 meterswitcher, programVU meters, stereo and MS PPM meter.
lower row fltr: 2x Trident S80 clones, 2x Nite 3d EQ clones, 2x SL510, 557F talkbackcompressor modified for linelevel usage, empty module, SL550,SL555. Then a part of the DAW channelcontroller.

DAW channelcontroller (cnc engraving by Grandmaster audio-UK)
Modules :
On the left of the mouse :
1-channelmotorfader +solos, Maybe I'll add a motor-off switch. And replace the motorfader with one that's touchsensitive.
Middle row :
2-switches for write/read enable, rec enable, eq bypass, insertbypass.
3-EQ :4xeq gain (Alps hi speed motorpots), 4x eq-q (Alps encoders), 4x eq freq (encoders).
4+5- 2x aux/FX send  motorfaders + on/off and pre/post switches (need to be finished)
upper row :
6-Panning (alps Hi speed motorfader) + mute and selector for on-screen channeldisplay. Here I used a 507 frontpanel, so it also contains a few pots that aren't connected
7-eq display - ugly and of no use because it's missing a legend. Maybe I'll make a new one, or I dismiss it and put something else in. Or just leave it as it is.
8-a set of switches, 4 for programming the controller, and 4 that are freely assignable.

DAW fadercontroller (cnc engraving by Grandmaster audio-UK)
Simply a bank of 8 motorfaders and an amount of set switches to switch between sets of faders. Right now I've numbered them (DAW 1-8, 9-16, etc, up to buses, to be followed by the channels of the SSL), but it'd make much more sense to switch between instrumentsets. Hindsight..... or hindsigh, hahaha. On the other hand, I barely use the fadercontroller, probably because the link to the SSL channels isn't ready yet.
It also has an encodergroup with 8 encoders 4 assignable switches, and 4 bankselectors for the encodergroup.
By the way, in essense, the controllers are BCF-2000s.

Notes about the console :
-Frame and wiring is completely DIYed, although I used original guiderails, and most buscards are also original (not all though).
It did cost me about 5 years  to collect the necessary manuals, and to figure out how to get everything working. Most of the modules need to have slight modifications to get them working.
-the channels without IO modules have 285501 debalancing circuits made on DIY boards.
-The gathered modules are purchased from different sellers in the US, UK, Uruguay, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, France, and Russia. Most of the parts come from a decomissioned console in Zürich though.
-Original 5000 PSU.
-No instant reset, no battery backup.
-internal routing through original 5k Broadcast style routingswitches cards.

Matt Sartori:
well done both of you!
they look gorgeous!

Mattia.

Artur D'Assumpção:
Lovely consoles! Congratulations!

Never seen a 5k with such a variety and customization of modules. Great work!

Always loved those 5k meters... much cooler than the plasma meters! :D

Cheers,

Artur

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version