Author Topic: Got a 5k ?  (Read 10488 times)

Helterbelter

• Zevenaar, The Netherlands
Got a 5k ?
« on: October 15, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
Wow, cool, a seperate 5k section !

As I'm from time to time strolling the internet for info about 5k's in use, I think it'd be cool to have a list of consoles still active. I don't expect this list would be getting very long though....

So, if you've got a 5k mixer of any kind , please post here !

Original, cutdown, sidecar, or self compiled, all is fine by me. Although I'd say that it must have at least 1 summed stereo output, otherwise it wouldn't be a mixer, right? Ok, just to please Matt : 7.1 will do as well  !

And pics of your 5k  would be nice ;)

I'll shoot one of small 5k asap and post it here too.  8)

[edit 19-11-15 :]

And, why not making a list of the original SSL 5k consoles.
About 120 made in total.

here's a start :
3 were made for Skywalker Sound. (contained flying faders). All are sold in the late 90s, and at least one is parted out as I seen the fadermodules for sale.
3 made for switzerland broadcasting company Zürich (only 1 still exists, currently setup in Austria, the other 2 are parted out).
1 made for ESPN US, dismantled. (16mono+32stereo 8bus broadcastversion)

Current studios with 5k consoles :
Germany :
- www.dialogstudios.de
- www.pink-studio.de
- Matt (no website)
Netherlands :
- Helterbelter (no website)
France
- www.studiodikken.com
Australia :
- www.facebook.com/Capitalsound-Studios-430035287031010/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:39:54 AM by Helterbelter »

Studikken

• Sound makes Sense
    • Paris Area - France
    • Studio d'IKKEN
Re: Got a 5k ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:09:39 AM »
Hello !

I'm in : with the very last one in France (I guess).  8)

A 1988 babe : 32 channels, 24 Mic SL 501 I/P, 8 SL 505 dual line I/P, 28 EQ SL 502 and aux sends, 8 compressors in the center part, no automation, and the total recall module which has been removed.
It still work great on music recording and mixing, although it wasn't meant so.

I had the chance te get also lots of spare parts when 2 studios closed around Paris. So I have a really good bundle of stock for my own maintenance.

Who's next ?

Myriam, Studio d'IKKEN

Helterbelter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 10:58:54 AM »
Hi Myriam !

Nice !
Do you happen to know who the original owner was ?
And, I tried to make a selfie, but it didn't turn out that well.....

As promised, here are a few pics of mine.

a self compiled 5k .
6 mono channels with EQ,
2 stereochannels with EQ
8 stereochannels without EQ.
3 subgroups
2 aux
1 stereo mainbus
DAW controllers
2x Spectrum analyzers and 1 multipurpose computer (analyzer/midi/vca controller)
some patchable eq's/dynamics, most are DIY clones. I used original 5k blanks that I sent out to Frank NRG for engraving. Some of the DIY modules aren't shown in the pictures below, but i also have a stereo neumann W492 clone module (single width), a racked up stereo Amek BC3 eq module, and 2 x MS insertswitchers with lowcultfilters (I cloned the SL501 18dB/octave filters), gain, and balanced MS insert and balanced stereo insert. One of these is currently mounted in subgroup 1. The second isn't entirely ready yet.

Picture below :
upper row : 3x Windows computers with touchscreens. The one in the middle is currently turned off : I'm going to use this one to add VCA automatable stereo Auxes from all channels. But I can also use it to display an analyzer.

middle row , fltr : dual Amek JP301 micpres + 5k meters / dual 9k Clones + 5k meters / stereo optolimitercompressor project (not ready yet, will be something unique) / Steffen's Supersidechain module, with Crush and Blend function. Mainbusamp and compressor (original SL552 with gssl sidechain added, and of course a nice matching frontpanel !) / switchmodule for the analyzercomputers, including dimmer for the displays, Sl544 meterswitcher, programVU meters, stereo and MS PPM meter.
lower row fltr: 2x Trident S80 clones, 2x Nite 3d EQ clones, 2x SL510, 557F talkbackcompressor modified for linelevel usage, empty module, SL550,SL555. Then a part of the DAW channelcontroller.

DAW channelcontroller (cnc engraving by Grandmaster audio-UK)
Modules :
On the left of the mouse :
1-channelmotorfader +solos, Maybe I'll add a motor-off switch. And replace the motorfader with one that's touchsensitive.
Middle row :
2-switches for write/read enable, rec enable, eq bypass, insertbypass.
3-EQ :4xeq gain (Alps hi speed motorpots), 4x eq-q (Alps encoders), 4x eq freq (encoders).
4+5- 2x aux/FX send  motorfaders + on/off and pre/post switches (need to be finished)
upper row :
6-Panning (alps Hi speed motorfader) + mute and selector for on-screen channeldisplay. Here I used a 507 frontpanel, so it also contains a few pots that aren't connected
7-eq display - ugly and of no use because it's missing a legend. Maybe I'll make a new one, or I dismiss it and put something else in. Or just leave it as it is.
8-a set of switches, 4 for programming the controller, and 4 that are freely assignable.

DAW fadercontroller (cnc engraving by Grandmaster audio-UK)
Simply a bank of 8 motorfaders and an amount of set switches to switch between sets of faders. Right now I've numbered them (DAW 1-8, 9-16, etc, up to buses, to be followed by the channels of the SSL), but it'd make much more sense to switch between instrumentsets. Hindsight..... or hindsigh, hahaha. On the other hand, I barely use the fadercontroller, probably because the link to the SSL channels isn't ready yet.
It also has an encodergroup with 8 encoders 4 assignable switches, and 4 bankselectors for the encodergroup.
By the way, in essense, the controllers are BCF-2000s.

Notes about the console :
-Frame and wiring is completely DIYed, although I used original guiderails, and most buscards are also original (not all though).
It did cost me about 5 years  to collect the necessary manuals, and to figure out how to get everything working. Most of the modules need to have slight modifications to get them working.
-the channels without IO modules have 285501 debalancing circuits made on DIY boards.
-The gathered modules are purchased from different sellers in the US, UK, Uruguay, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, France, and Russia. Most of the parts come from a decomissioned console in Zürich though.
-Original 5000 PSU.
-No instant reset, no battery backup.
-internal routing through original 5k Broadcast style routingswitches cards.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:38:34 AM by Helterbelter »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
well done both of you!
they look gorgeous!

Mattia.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »
Lovely consoles! Congratulations!

Never seen a 5k with such a variety and customization of modules. Great work!

Always loved those 5k meters... much cooler than the plasma meters! :D

Cheers,

Artur

Helterbelter

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 09:08:40 PM »
Thanks guys !

I will explain more about the setup later on, but I'll do this in a seperate topic. Its setup is thoroughly thought thru, even the amount of channels (3 years back I had more channels and more auxes). There are a few minor things in the controllers that didn't turn out as what I had in mind , and I do have a few experimental additions for the console itself in mind, but other than that... this is the console I wished for. Or actually, the mix summingbox . It's really meant for partial OTB mixing/summing. And a luxurious summingbox it is, hahaha !
By the way, for tracking I mainly use a cutdown DDA and a bunch of 19"channelstrips (Focusrite, Neve, SPL). Even though the SSL works very well to track with, but doesn't have that enough channels for tracking drums.

matt

• Reutlingen, Germany
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 10:54:56 AM »
Wow - that's a beauty.

Completely customized hybrid beast .... great work.

What exactly did you use for the upper row windows computers ?

Matts
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:04:29 AM by matt »

Helterbelter

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
Thanks Matthias !
These are used communication aid computers, based on ETX computers, and they're running on Windows XP. Can't really recall the price specs, but it's something like an 800mHz processor with 512 MB ram. Maybe 1024MB.... I took the computers out of the original enclosures and put them in a selfmade enclosure of aluminium.

Performancewise they're not very interesting, obviously, but they perform well enough for Pinguin (audioanalyzer software), and random Midi stuff. I used cheap Behringer stereo audiointerfaces on these for the AD converion, and the latency together with the Pinguin software is near-zero. They respond just as fast as the SL574 PPM LCD meters, maybe even faster. The Phase meter function is faster than the SSL SL575 phasemeter though.

The plus on these is that the processorcooling is fanless, and the C-drives are compactflashcards of 8 GB. So, they're already almost noiseless from the start. The only audible noise is from the backlight inverters, but on 2 of the three computers I replaced the TL backlight with with LED backlights, so I was able to remove the inverter. Also, because the LEDs are dimmable,  I used a normal LM317 type of regulator for it with a pot for the adjustment. I placed the pot externally, in the switchpanel next to the SL544 meterswitcher..

They're powered from the same 230v group as the audiointerfaces, dawcontrollers and the screens, which are automatically turned on when I turn on the DAW computer. In the windows startupfolder of these ETXes I placed a link to the Pinguin software, so I don't need to use a mouse with these. Pinguin starts automatically. And, because Pinguin doesn't need to remember any settings or makes any changes in Windows, you can simply power off the computer by shutting down the 230v, without doing harm to the software.

But Matt, when are you showing your 5k ?
I have a picture of yours on my computer, but it's not up-to-date. I suspect you have the very last Film console in the world by the way......
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:23:00 PM by Helterbelter »

matt

• Reutlingen, Germany
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »
I have a hard time finding these ETX thingies used somewhere .... they match perfectly with the penthouse size of the console.
If you have a source for these - let me know.

About showing my console .... I am afraid you have the most current picture.
I was browsing through my files and the youngest one I found was from 2010.
It's at a very small size and I can't seem to find the original :-(.

Anyway, here it is :

Even if it might be the last 5k film console in the world ..... I am trying to modify it a little to support the audio needs as well.
Like : it doesn't have a master fader yet for stereo downmixes.

Current status is :
- 48 Mono channels with surround panning (was 56 but I needed space for the stereo channels)
-  4 Stereo channels (still to be completed - not to be seen on the pic)
- 7.1 surround capabilities
- G+ Ultimation (disabled at the moment until the final configuration is set up)
- 32 mono busses
- 2 Joysticks
- 6 x mono aux
- 2 x stereo aux

Modifications to come :
- Master fader
- better stereo monitoring/talkback functions (SL550 / SL555)
- 4 more stereo channels (maybe)
- 4 stereo subgroups
- 4 Independent main outputs
- Mono / Stereo compressors (patchable)
- different multitrack control
- improved stereo routing
- Total Recall computer SL590
- probably improved routing (about the hardest to come by)
- improved optical monitoring with TFTs in the centre section penthouse (like the ETXes :-) .. )
- DAW machine control at the fingertips

I love the integration of the DAW keyboard and trackball (you remember that one, Paul - still thankful you gave it to me).
But it chews up space for more modules.
So I was also thinking of expanding the centre section to the left (half bay maybe).

I guess we'll see a lot more pics in the first half of 2016.
The room is way to small but this is something I can't change at the moment.

If someone is interested, I can post some pics of the disassembly / assembly - maybe in an extra thread.

Matt

jamorstudio

• Jamor Studio
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
SSL SL5032M, 2013 installed in Jamor Studio, Prague, Czech Republic,
originally ordered 1987 for czech recording label Supraphone, later out of work somewhere int the corner. Now mostly working, but having some troubles with IR, duplex cards and multitrack routing buzz on a few channels. (sorry for silly photo)

greetz
Ondrej Jezek
www.jamor.org

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:11:26 PM by jamorstudio »

Helterbelter

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 04:41:05 PM »
Nice console !
a pity to hear about the problems. Or is it only while switching ?

So, I understand it also has the Multitrackrouting. This is the typical music production setup. Not many were made this way, and actually, most people that talk about the 5k, all say it's made for film or broadcast and NOT for music. This is the proof that it's also made for Music recording.

32 monochannels of which 16 are in-line. Into 4 stereo busses plus a master stereobus. 2 aux. I don't see any 552 IMO modules. And no masterbuscompressor ?  Not that it matters much, the 520 doesn't have that typical 4k compresseor character, IMHO....

Anyway, cool console !

jamorstudio

• Jamor Studio
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:34 PM »
according order papers there were four 520 comps, but they were removed with their connection boards before i got this console.
no sl552, there is 557,  multitrack to 16 and instant reset experiencing kind of troubles now, so we are looking for any help with this, see separate topic please. thanks a lot.

nissim

• israel
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:00:51 AM »
my console

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk