Author Topic: Upgraded PSU similar to Atomic S1+... any interest?  (Read 12445 times)

Dan Korneff

Upgraded PSU similar to Atomic S1+... any interest?
« on: November 10, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »
Hey guys,
Been thinking about designing a new PSU for my console. Similar to the Atomic PSU. Anyone else interested?
http://www.atomicinstrument.com/

analogstudio7

Re: Upgraded PSU similar to Atomic S1+... any interest?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:16:31 AM »
You know there is another SSL psu out there too by a company called GRS / SST.

I first saw this one when it was being installed back in 2001 at the studio I used to work at in California. We were unpacking it in the photo that I will post and we powered it up. We installed it on our SSL 4032. Worked great.  Its got a bunch of computer processors in it.  And it soft starts and sequences the power on to the buckets. It was about half the cost of that Atomic one at your link.

Just an FYI

I just got a used SSl 4032 last month for my studio but it has a messed up psu. So I am thinking of getting one of these GRS/SSt psu's to replace it.

Cheers,

Greg

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:59:08 AM by analogstudio7 »

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
Interesting never heard of them! Are they still selling? Any more details?

What one should be careful with switch power supplies is the massive filtering necessary so it doesn't go into the audio range. A these filters need to be high quality so it doesn't produce any aliasing effects and affect audio.

If I recall correctly SSL built the power supplies for the 9000s series has a switchmode one. A big ass rack was only the filter section. ;)

Cheers,

Artur

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 04:30:04 PM »
The Atomic is great.. but the cost of shipping and import duties on top of the heavy price tag is a really put off.

Would be good to see a solution in the EU, lot of consoles in this side of the world :-))

analogstudio7

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »
Hi guys.

I drove over to GRS early today. They are about 70 miles from my studio. I called them yesterday about making me a psu for my 4032 and they said to come over and that they were building a couple of ssl psus and we could talk.

I got to see the production shop and they were indeed building 2 SSL psu and about two dozen or so other power supplies for other console. Nice operation. And the SSL psus are really. Pretty much the same style as the one we got at the old studio I worked at in 2001. They guys that run the place are ex-aerospace power systems engineers who started building audio and power supplies for a few studios back in the mid '60's. These guys know their stuff, so it was a real education for me listening to them.

One of the big deals was about how clean the DC output is and about the filters they build to do this. The SSL psus are filled with special filters that was explained to me to eliminate the possibility of harmonics getting into the audio bandwidth. They showed me on a scope the difference with and without the filters! HUGE difference. So that answers your one question about the filters.

The still are using a bunch of microprocessors to run everything in the psu. Lots of psu protection devices and console protection circuits. And the AC power turns on with a slow power ramp up to eliminate the power surge. And then they have a processor that sequences on all of the DC output voltages that go on also with a voltage ramp up. While the psu is doing all of this, there are LEDs on the front panel that show the sequencing/ramp-up of the AC. Then once that is completed, you hold over a DC start switch and then the psu sequences the DC start-up to the console while the voltage also ramps up. It's pretty cool.

The system is just like the one we got back in 2001 and it works the same way. Never had a problem with that one. One system can power 56 channels and has multiple DC connectors on the back of the psu. Don't need a changeover box. You get a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

I like the meters on the front with the voltage trimmers on the front. I can appreciate these cause of having to try to do the psu and console calibration using the SSL psu. Man, is that crazy running back and forth to the console and machine room, lol. One way to get your exercise for sure. So this is a better setup for that.

So I bought one. Maxed out two credit cards to do it, but really need a good working power supply and I don't have the time to mess with the old psu and the cost to fix it is stupid to me at this point. So I took the plunge. After CA sales taxes it cost me about $3,400. One of the units they are building is a larger psu going to Warner Bros. for one of their film consoles. That one is a monster.

So all in all a great morning, now I just have to deal with the credit card bills when they come in. Oh well...such is life as a studio owner.

That's about it! I should have the new psu in about 15 days and I'll report back.

Cheers!

Greg

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 04:02:26 AM »
That sounds great. Indoor lawnmower volume fans? Looking forward to hearing about the finished beast.

analogstudio7

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 05:52:37 AM »
Will do Jim.

No fans, by the way!

Cheers,

Greg

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:21 AM »
Very cool, looking forward to hear about your experience. Price is definitely an argument against the Atomic. Especially when thinking about taxes when importing to Europe.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 10:28:23 AM »
Wow this is really promising!

I think we should send them an e-mail for them to invite them to join and present their product in the forum. Greg, do you feel comfortable/willing in making this contact? I am sure there will be lots of questions to them.

Thanks so much for reporting back! Please let us know how it goes when connecting it! And also it would be interesting to know if you experience any real power savings with GRS solution. ;)

Cheers,

Artur

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »
Power consumption is really a factor. These are switch mode PSUs wich have very high efficiency. Atomic claims about 50% cut in power consumption and that is pretty realistic. In addition they produce much less heat than classic discrete PSUs. The price tag on our Atomic was quite hefty (especiall with taxes and stuff) but this will be armotized in around 5 years (we have the repair costs of one supply in this calculation plus the savings due to the possibility to switch off the console every night). Plus you get better fault protection and more solid DC rails (which reportedly give "better" sound). We really dont't look back. If there is some competition, I think it is just very good for the SSL community.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
Wow this is really promising!

I think we should send them an e-mail for them to invite them to join and present their product in the forum. Greg, do you feel comfortable/willing in making this contact? I am sure there will be lots of questions to them.

Thanks so much for reporting back! Please let us know how it goes when connecting it! And also it would be interesting to know if you experience any real power savings with GRS solution. ;)

Cheers,

Artur

Already Done

xmax

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »
This company has been re-packaging power modules for replacement desk psu's since 2001.
But they were only doing less than 14 amps, So for a ssl that would be a 32 channel E.

I find it very interesting they are using the same meters, trim pots, start switch, etc as
the much more powerful Atomic Instrument units as Bob Clearmountain, Tom Lord Alge,
Tom Elmhirst etc have been using for some time.

http://www.atomicinstrument.com/

xmax

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 07:05:56 PM »
They have Peter Frampton on their web site, but Peter Frampton uses an
Atomic Instrument S1 to power his SSL...

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 10:08:50 PM »
This is just sad...

analogstudio7

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 12:30:14 AM »
Hey guys.

Interesting. I always thought that that other company copied GRS on the design. The power supply we got in 2001 has these meters in it, like the Atomic has. Before that, we bought a 32 Amp psu from GRS for the studios AMEK console and that was back in 1989. So they do make big systems. They were building a 60 Amps custom psu when I was there for Warners.

I had already done a lot of research before I decided on going with the GRS unit...asided from the fact that we had been using their power supplies since the 80's at the old studio I owrked at. In my research, I found that the have been in business since 1969 as GRS building power supply systems...not 2001 as said here. I also found more info about some of the other psu's they have built. There's a big Trident psu system, 30 something amps, and other info on their facebook page. Let me see if I can copy that and repost it here....

https://www.facebook.com/GrsProAudio/photos/a.749676118395551.1073741826.123962777633558/937176559645505/

Can't copy everything here from their Facebook. It seems way more up to date than their web site. You can just go to their facebook page if you're on facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/GrsProAudio/

Cheers,

Greg