Author Topic: Upgraded PSU similar to Atomic S1+... any interest?  (Read 12450 times)

xmax

Re: Upgraded PSU similar to Atomic S1+... any interest?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 04:02:22 AM »
I saw exactly what they were doing when Reid and I started the company, Reid came to me because NOBODY was making what we make now. Please show us something published if we copied anybodies anything. I hope GRS is a good company for the SSL and audio in general community.

analogstudio7

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 04:58:10 AM »
Hello xmax...

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here. Just saying from my own experience and opinions you know.

I don't know of anything published back then, but I can show you a picture of the GRS power supply from the studio I worked for in 2001. They purchased this power supply from GRS for their SSL console. We set up the power supply in our lounge after unpacking it. In the picture its sitting on our big leather chair in the lounge and we plugged it in with all of us around checking it out. So that was like 14 years ago. I never saw any brochures on it before then or even now for that matter. Just from what I have seen way back when in the studio  and what I saw in person a couple of days ago. I don't think these guys put much info on what they make online. They are old timers and even said that most of the stuff they do and they business they have is from long time customers and word of mouth. So there ya go.

Cheers,

Greg

xmax

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 05:15:36 AM »
I figured they were old timer's when I researched them in the beginning, they do great work and I appreciate that. 
Like I said before they where doing non-switcher replacement power supplies. Nothing like Atomic Instrument.
I would have to think that is why all these well known guys are using Atomic Instrument.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:35:57 AM by xmax »

analogstudio7

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 06:16:50 AM »
The PSU we got back in 2001 was switching and linear machine. The one we are getting for our studio is the same setup type, but they said they are using much better custom built units switchers these days.

You should see some of their stuff they did at Hughes and NASA for satellites. Cool stuff but way over my head.

Cheers!

Greg

www.analogstudio7.com
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:00:15 AM by analogstudio7 »

xmax

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 06:56:07 AM »
Excellent, what is your studio's web site? Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 02:57:53 PM »
I think I've seen the old Trident ones before.

Anyways, it would be nice to have them in here and present their product. Strange I've never heard of them, specially since the PSU alternative searching is in such high demand.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:59:38 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 10:51:13 PM »
Well, why never Atomic will be interesting is just :

Someone told me its bad for your desk
Harms it
Us has fucked up power grid
They need it
Eu not
And the 4k like analog
Ye switch ing psu often does this,  thought they fixed it

No its in the design
Different psu design
The old psus let current thru to the music
And created harmonics
Like a guitar an electric one
It modulates into the desk

Any truth to this?

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
How it sounds with music is the key test, over noise floors, and stats.

Know the Jap Supply sounds better than the standard PSU, for sure

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
Well, why never Atomic will be interesting is just :

Someone told me its bad for your desk
Harms it
Us has fucked up power grid
They need it
Eu not
And the 4k like analog
Ye switch ing psu often does this,  thought they fixed it

No its in the design
Different psu design
The old psus let current thru to the music
And created harmonics
Like a guitar an electric one
It modulates into the desk

Any truth to this?

I seldom intervene in discussion as everyone on this forum has got a minimum technical background in electronics and or engineering.
The proof is in the pudding, Bob Clearmountain (amongst other very important and influential engineers and producers) bought the atomic instrument PSU, this by itself should be a reason why it is a good product.

Please before you post something like "someone has told me its bad for your desk" on a forum like this one make sure you do a bit of research first.
Such statement is just too embarrassing to even comment on.

this is NOT GEARSLUTZ

Mattia.

xmax

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
Electric Lady Land Studios. Neve VR
Tom Lord-Alge. Ssl S2
Tommy Lee. Ssl S1+
Peter Framton. Ssl S1
Sony Music Australia. Neve VR
Bob Clearmountain. Ssl S2

And about 50 others have been running Atomic Instrument power supplies
with improved sonics and massive energy savings.
http://www.atomicinstrument.com/

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
We also have some members here on the forum which can share their 1st person experience, since they are owners of an Atomic PSU. ;)

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »
Im sorry if it came out hostile in a way,  i see it wasnt my intention in fact i thought it sounded stange myself, but the subjects interesting me, thats why i asked, who ever is using it or not.
I do some more research on the subjekt myself Peace!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:36:08 PM by Showcase »

analogstudio7

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 03:48:04 AM »
Hi all.

Just following up here. We got the new GRS power supply yesterday and got a chance to hook it up today. It works great and the thing is a real piece of art to boot. Looks very cool.

I have been playing with it today. Turning it on and off and tryiung to get it to  screw up and to see what it was all about in real use. And so far its been great. The psu has a master power switch that you have to turn on and leave it set to the on position. It has a master circuit breaker also hooked to the master switch. So you turn this on and leave it that way.

Then on the front panel you turn on the Ac mains power switch for everyday operation. When you turn on the AC mains switch the system power goes up slowly. You can see this from the front poanel. Once the power is up to 120 volts ac, the AC Mains OK led lights up. This takes a few seconds. Then the 4 meters are showing all zeros cause the dc voltage is not on yet.

Then you start the dc power on sequencing. When you hold over the switch, you can see the dc sequencing led light up and then the 18 volt rails come on. Then a couple of seconds later the logic and phantom dc comes on. Its pretty to cool to watch it and you can the some leds inside the top cover where it says CPU 1, 2 & 3 sequencing everything and a buch of leds lighting on and off.

Then the meters show the + & - 18 volts dc and the logic meter shows 6.5 volts and the phantom meter shows 48 volts. So then I went about following the manual to calibrate the psu to the console. This was pretty easy and you just have to adjust the front panel little trimmers and measure the voltage at the console until you get the proper voltage set. The voltages at the console show lower readings that what the power supply meters showed, so I had to adjust the psu trimmers UP by the difference.

The console sounds great with the new psu and there is zero noise or anything at high volume so im happy bout that. I started screwing around with the psu and turned it on and off a bunch of times - probably about a dozen times. Had no problems. You have to turn the dc power sequencing on by hand everytime but the console didnt give me any problems or hickups at all. And I tried pulling the ac plug when the sytem was on and then plugged it back in again to see what would happen like if the power went of and then came back on again later with the ac on the psu still switched on. And no problem here either. The psu ac came back on but the dc to the console didnt. I had to turn the dc on by hand to start the dc sequencing on. So that all worked good.

I dont plan to leave the SSL on all night long so Im not worried about power going off with the console on and the coming back on with a power surge or spike or whatever. But I tried this anyway just to know what they said in the manual about this really happens and it does.

Been playing some mixes through the console and it really sounds good. So I am very happy and just wanted to  close out my experiences and my post here!

Cheers!

Greg

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:51:10 AM by analogstudio7 »

xmax

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:40 AM »
It all sounds awesome! It just saddens me that someone making such a product would directly mirror
what Atomic Instruments has been doing since day one. I realize GRS has been making a quality replacement
psu for some time, but they where doing nothing like the version you are referring to until very recently.
It reminds me very much like the Vanilla Ice trial where he states he did not copy Queen/David Bowie. 
Plus Atomic Instrument has a far superior warranty and the owners are working engineers that understand
the importance of the products they sell.

analogstudio7

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »
Sorry, don't know what the problem is. This is basically the same system our other studio got back in 2001. So how is it a mirror?

Anyway, doesn't matter to me. I got a great deal on this power supply at a great price and it wroks like the one at my previous employ studio. I have bought one other power supply unit from GRS and all were excellent units and were running great when I sold them along with the consoles when I bought this SSL I have now.

Your comments just sound like sour grapes to me. I think those Atomic units seem to be good, but just over priced. Thats why I bought a GRS unit  HALF the cost and does more!

Cheers!

Greg