Author Topic: Set your ssl computer clock to current date  (Read 4857 times)

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
Set your ssl computer clock to current date
« on: January 30, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »
Hi

This is a guide on how to fast forward the time and date on the ssl 4k console computer to current date. We will use at 5v pp square wave from a tone generator to fast forward the time using 10kHz and slower frequencies. This process should only be done by experience electronic people and do this at your own risk! I have done this on our 1995 4064g+ ultimation computer with software U3.01. We were annoyed by not having the current date in the machine. It really doesn't matter for the functional operation of the computer. I did this mostly for keeping my mental health issue OCD down ;)

Start by typing the command TI>EXE

The current date and time will show. If this is up to date then there is no need to proceed the steps below:

1: When using the command SET CL>EXE the latest possible date to enter is  31st December 2011. Do this.

2: Shut down the computer, open the back lid and take out the tape & clock pcb 82E43 with the 4 AA rechargeable batteries on it.

3: If the batteries look bad consider to replace them with new ones. Measure their total voltage which should be somewhere between 4.5 to 5.5 volts.

4: Connect your frequency generator ground to the ground terminal of the batteries and the positive to ic T26 pin 1. Do not activate your generator output yet.

5: Put the card back in or on the extender if you have one.

6: Turn on and when booted type  the command TI>EXE. Now you'll see the time and date. Turn on your generator at 10kHz square wave 5v pp. The time on the screen will now run very fast (10000x60 versus real time). You will see that it  goes in a loop of about 45 days (16bit in minutes).

7: Deactivate your generator output when the time is approximately at the end of the loop. You'll get the hang of it...

8: Type BEGIN > EXE to reboot the computer. During startup the new date will be written to your program floppy.

9: Repeat steps 6, 7 & 8 until you're close to current date ie you have to repeat approximately 32 times to get to the year 2016. You could consider enjoying a glass of something alcoholic during this - but of course away from your console and it's computer. I used a mystery device to remote control this process. More on this at a later time. Then use slower frequencies 1000-100-10hz to hit the date and time spot on. Then type BEGIN > EXE.

10: Backup your program disk to further floppies using the command COPY ALL > EXE and you're done.

Never use the SET CL> EXE command or you'll have to start all over.

An alternative would be to disassemble the program floppy code and change the date somehow...?

Please let me know in this thread how it went.

Cheers,
Uffe

Clip6

Re: Set your ssl computer clock to current date
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:14:57 PM »
I always wondered when I'd read a solution for this. Thanks

RoyMixer

• NYC
    • Roy Hendrickson, Mixer/Engineer/Producer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 08:15:17 PM »
Brilliant, so the 16 bit counter is relative to date stored on program disk?
R

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »
Yes. Every time the ssl computer boots it writes a new time stamp to the program disk and the 16bit counter is reset by the cpu.

But the time is not used for anything but the "home" screen as far as I can tell.

Regards
Uffe

Frostbox Labs