Tech discussion > Wiring

An example of a 4K DL32 wiring

<< < (2/2)

jimlfixit:
Hi Franz

Thanks for your response again. Mogami cable is very flexible as it doesn't use an overall foil screen but takes longer to wire as you have to cut off the surplus overlapped screen. As someone above mentioned, it may be an idea to fold the screen wire in the DL crimp as it is so small in diameter. Normal DL crimps suit 24-26 gauge wire but there others (which I have) that are for 28-32 gauge. Trouble is, they need a different crimp tool. I have the normal crimps here as well if you need some and I supply them to many companies and studios as well as use them for looms I am constructing. I also have loads of 56 way Edacs and backshells if you need them.

I have some MRAC documentation for both the 4 and 6K consoles. Just need to find some missing pages!

I have spent a load of time investigating the SSL grounding system and know all about it. Not many people realise that the SSL grounds everything that goes into and out of it via the DL 96 way connectors. I will post something about this as a separate post later (I have already and it is listed in a technical post) but basically all the internal SSL wiring is grounded on the 6 way Bicc connectors which then link to one of the copper bars and head out towards the earthing bolt on the connector panel.

These same internal wires do not have their screens wired to the patchbay jacks as a result, as they are already grounded at the Bicc end. The 651 cable screens are not connected at the patchbay for the same reason as they connected via the 651 ground cable which is also linked to the same analog copper bar as the channel signals from the upper busscard.

All the external DL's, whether mics, multitrack, listen mics, echos or user option continue their screens to the patchbay, which is screwed into the frame and a green wire also connects these screens to the end grounding block, near the same earthing bolt (0BA or M6 ... same difference).

So, the SSL could screen everything plugged into it. From the SSL, the main screening bolt 50/0.25 big yellow/green cable could go to the SSL computer. If you don't have a computer, the SSL 661 power supply would take the screens to your studio AC power socket, via it's plug lead. There is also an internal link in the power supply which may need to be changed if you use a computer or not.

Hope this helps a bit, even though it may seem complicated. Good luck and may hear from you soon.

jimlfixit:
Hi Anthony
If you are wiring MRAC connectors from scratch as you state, I hope you are wiring the wires from the patchbay to the two Mracs, as opposed to the other way round.
Always wire from the largest area to the smallest one (patchbay to Mracs or DL's etc) otherwise you will encounter various looming problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version