Author Topic: Full 4K refurb  (Read 4105 times)

Kprellz

Full 4K refurb
« on: May 14, 2021, 06:45:47 PM »
This Wednesday i started the journey of being an SSL owner, picked up a 48 channel G series from TheBank(Wes) in Chicago and drove it home. Spend 6 hours cutting it in half cause we couldn’t get it down the hallway. now begins the job of getting it operational. It’s a bit of a parts console. The console came from a church near Wes in Chicago that didnt know what they had and were literally in the process of throwing it out. Thus there is quite a bit of work. Center section and a few channels were run over with a forklift effectively destroying them. Power supply and computer were already gone. We go the console in the door last night and the power supply has been ordered. In talks with getting the center now. Pulling all the knobs off the channels so they can be deep cleaned. Will also be recapping the entire desk. Will try and document the journey as much as possible.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:14:54 PM by Kprellz »

Timetravel

Re: We never stopped to ask if we should.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 06:55:35 PM »
Quite a bit of work, but the pieces are there. Its worth it :)
Have a nice adventure 🤘🏼

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:08:37 PM »
Looking good!

I've embedded the photos for you.

Kprellz

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 06:55:33 AM »
Thanks Anthony!

Were in the process of deep cleaning EVERYTHING. Wondering if anyone has used some kind of wax or polish for either the faceplate, 611 cards, or the chassis? As everything is apart now might be the time to make her shine.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:25:29 PM »
for bare metal, it Flitz, available at Ace Hardware or on line if you want the paste (slightly more economical)

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Kprellz

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 04:49:33 AM »
Waiting for caps and materials to come in, upon digging I discovered a bit of history on the desk, As it turns out our console was originally an E series from 84, that was later upgraded to a G series, replacing the EQ and the Preamp modules with 292, and 291's respectively and upgrading to the greyhill mic pre knob. as the desk stands now it has 8x 611G channels and 16x 611E channels that have been upgraded to G. the desk has all Gold can VCA's, 292 EQ and 291 input cards.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 04:50:07 PM by Kprellz »

Kprellz

Re: Full 4K refurb
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 02:59:38 PM »
Update! Last night started working on the trim for the console looking great so far if I say so myself. Stripped, sanded and then a few coats of a water based poly and she’s looking good as new! Starting to set angle and sort out the patchbay although I fear it’s gonna be a longer job than expected. Also started pulling all the bus cards and deep cleaning them. As of now the only pcb in the entire desk is the meter distro Card in the back! also discovered a pair of coveted 132 pultec eq cards hiding the in the desk! Pulled every knobs and switch cover off every channel and will be throwing them in my washing machine. Faceplates are getting cleaned is a combo of isopropyl, baby wipes, and simple green, all the edge connectors then get coated in deoxit gold.

Kprellz

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 05:58:52 AM »
finally got some photos!
Hours of cleaning bus cards but damn are they pretty.
half cleaned

fully cleaned <3

Trim before

Trim after Sanding

Left has been sanded right has a few coats of poly

not a single card left in the desk

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 06:04:54 AM by Kprellz »

Kprellz

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 07:46:10 PM »
ITS UP ON LEGS!! huge thanks to Roy Hendrickson for helping us out big time with the legs. Our frame got little bit twisted while traveling but we managed to hammer it all back into shape haha.

also started DEEP CLEANING all the channels. using simple green on Roys recommendation. Highly recommend that stuff its awesome!! Caps just came in today so that process is next.

Dirty channel(these were actually pretty clean) will post photos of the really bad ones when we get there.

Clean Channel

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 06:29:14 PM »
Been there, Done that!!

Mike

Kprellz

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 11:46:39 PM »
For those looking for screws for their bus cards and anything else that takes that screw these work beautifully

old caps

new caps

brand new black fader caps look AMAZING

my setup, every card gets cleaned with a toothbrush and iso after recapping and all the edge connectors get coated in deoxit gold

every knob got thrown in my washing machine THREE TIMES and then wiped down by hand and sorted into bags, anything not perfect was put aside

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: Full 4K refurb ... Buscard screws
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 12:58:53 AM »
I am glad that the M3.5mm screws seem to work fine for securing the upper and lower buscards to the various ISEP rail extrusions. SSL used 4BA pan head screws for this but M3.5 would do the job for a short screw.

SSL used UK BA screws at the time about the late 1970's for almost ALL of the screw fixings for the earlier SSL consoles apart from 6:32 taptights for the frame connections (M3.5mm is also ok now) and 4:40 for the early patchbays.

Your story about getting your console sorted out is interesting and I wish you luck. Horizon Sound and Marc Mozart, amongst others, have also undertaken great refurbishments and backwards engineering on SSL consoles.

Good luck and I look forward to more of your posts.
Bad news about the Mracs being cut off and I have some here if useful, plus pinouts.

Kprellz

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 07:40:09 PM »
Hey Jim! Thanks so much! Yeah gotta be a little bit careful with the screws as you can’t over tighten them since the threading is a little different, but for 8 dollars they worked great! I actually had messaged you on Facebook a bit ago probably got sent to your spam folder though. Has a handful of patchbay question if you’ve got some free time
I’d love to pick your brain about.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 03:46:47 AM »
Hi Kpreliz

Ok, get in contact about some of your questions about your patchbay etc. Can also offer some advice regarding the cut off Mrac wires (big ouch and crazy!). Send me an email via my Facebook wiring page and we can arrange a call, Whatsapp or Skype.

Am rebuilding my website from scratch as the host server went bust but my emails work ok.

Jim Lassen, Bucks, UK.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 03:59:09 AM by jimlfixit »