Author Topic: SSL 4K G+ 4040 and CAPI 2-ACA-Bo by Jeff Steiger. A possible marriage?  (Read 1589 times)

Franz

Hi all, I just completed the 2-ACA-BO (with Elmas 1K pots) of Jeff Steiger at Capi gear and would like to include it in the center section of my 4K. Vance Powell also has this in his 6K, but since they are obviously different consoles, can anyone help me figure out the best way to insert it? I suppose it should take the place of the '26 cards but what I'm wondering is: instead of removing the '26 cards "FL" and "FR" and obviously lose the use of the quad comp, I can use the rear bus "RL" and "RR" and through the pot decide whether to sum with SSL or CAPI? Is this feasible?

Attached the photo of the complete unit and related documents.

Thank you!
Franz.

Tonemiester

• Denver
For us less technical 4K owners out there, could you explain what this does and it's advantages?

Thanks,

Mike

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
raises the noise floor and adds a transformer.

ya makes yer choices and pays yer money.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Franz

Hi Alan, thanks for your response. Mine is an experiment. It is a high quality "summing box" (for Mike). You're right, it will raise the noise floor a bit but it has a beautiful sound. Just because I don't want to make substantial changes to the 4K I asked if it could be added to the rear buses (since in the vast majority of cases, like mine, they are not used). If it was a feasible thing and if so how. That's all. Maybe, as soon as it's installed, I'll upload some tests on the forum and we'll all evaluate the difference. If it was money wasted, I'll implement it in something else.

Thanks!

Tonemiester

• Denver
Thanks Alan and Franz!

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
I've done that before, added to rear channels with a different summing section for clients, its usually either an improvement or no change, depending on the console. Then one gets used and the other ignored.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Franz

That's exactly what I'm curious about. I've heard great things about Jeff's latest opamp, the CA0252, and I'd like to figure out how to implement this 2-ACA-BO with four CA0252 as cleanly as possible. If I succeed (if someone wants to help me) I will post A/B comparisons. I certainly think it can stimulate curiosity! :)

Cheers,
Franz