Author Topic: SSL Computer I/O: Cables, Layouts, Descriptions and Functions.  (Read 3443 times)

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
SSL Computer I/O: Cables, Layouts, Descriptions and Functions.
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
Hi guys,

I think the first step here is to start documenting an overview of the SSL Computer I/O. We should understand first how the computer is connected to the console to control its functions. This way we will begin to understand the amount of total I/O we'll be dealing with and also what type of interfaces we'll need to develop.

What we should look at and document at this stage are the following aspects (let me know if there are more stuff):

- Which I/O ports are there in the console and computer:
       - which computer card handles each I/O port;

- Which cables connect between the console and the computer:
       - Which I/O ports are they connected to (console and computer side)
       - types of these cables

- How are they connected (cable layout)
       - possible configurations
       - what changes with the console size
       - what changes with the console model

- What's the function handled by each cable

At this stage lets get everything, even if it doesn't pertain to our project, such as monitor or keyboard control. Just bring it all and then we'll cross out what's not in scope. It's not the idea to describe details how things work through the connections, just to understand what connections exists, how are they connected, what are their layout and purpose.

If possible, when describing certain details please provide photos or schematics when you're explaining them so we can attach it to our central documentation. It's always easier to understand things if we have a visual reference.

During our discussion I will gather our findings and document things neatly! :)

Thanks for the support!

Cheers,

Artur