Author Topic: Crimp tool  (Read 3047 times)

Franz

Crimp tool
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:40:43 PM »
Hi guys! I've an SSL 4040 G+ and I'm going to wiring my console. Could you tell me where to buy the right crimp tool, pins and extraction tool?

Is this site good?

https://www.digikey.it/product-detail/it/112108-0001/1003-1678-ND/2498638/?itemSeq=296130685

Thank you!

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
Re: Crimp tool
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »
I take it from the link your console is wired with DL connectors, they come in two basic varieties, DL most commonly or ELCO occasionally.

That is the crimp tool for DL connectors from the manufacturer who makes them. As long as the size range of your wire is 20 to 26 AWG. If you are using smaller wire, like Mogami you will need to fold the wire over to increase the amount of wire in the crimp for proper crimping.

Digikey is a long time supplier to the electronics market and quite reputable. To compare prices try Mouser.com and Farnell which should have an Italian branch as well.

get the depinning tool as well. here is a reference to it.
https://www.redco.com/Cannon-CET-DL10.html

have fun crimping
Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Franz

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
So kind of you Alan! Thank you very much!

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL DL parts etc
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »
Hi Franz

A few points in response to your post.

1   I am the wiring moderator on this forum and have posted many posts and pictures on here (some of the pictures have been deleted due to a hacking attempt last year though so I need to replace them somehow!).

2   I have supplied the SSL 96 way DL connectors to the UK and Europe over many years and have a lot in stock (currently 15 plugs, 7 sockets, 30 handles, over 4,000 crimp pins and 13 machined backshells).
These should be cheaper than all the companies mentioned on your post replies as I buy these in bulk and get a better price as some people on here already know.

3   Also, not only do I have a stock of DL connectors, but I also have suitable cable, XLR’s, jacks and 25 way D sub connectors so I can construct any SSL cable as required.

4   I used to work at SSL for 7 years in the earlier years and have extensive knowledge of the wiring of those 4 and 6k consoles.

5   I also have a stock of parts for SSL patchbays and have designed loads of console patchbays over the years (SSL or other makes).

I think you need to get in contact with me so I can help you with your wiring issue. Check me out and contact me (jimlassenwiring@btinternet.com) as I can advise you properly.

You are based in Italy and I have done a lot of wiring work for studios in Europe (last week was for a studio in Greece). I am familiar with the SSL G+ and know about the patchbay and DL’s (more than most people I think).

As for DL removal tools ... I have different types but need to chat about this as you don't need to spend much money on this at all as it is a simple and very cheap fix.

Regards for now and hope to hear from you and others soon. Check out my Facebook page below to see some examples of my work.

Jim Lassen (jimlfixit on here). profcon@btinternet.com
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:43:03 AM by jimlfixit »

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »
Jim,
I would be interested in hearing what you find as a useful DL pin removal tool, outside of the Cannon one.

I myself can use the paper clip fairly reliably, but I have seen too many people fail with that tool. If I can have a tool that works for untrained people as well as the Cannon tool I would love it.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio