Author Topic: Assembly of a early E Series Console QUESTIONS  (Read 2597 times)

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
Assembly of a early E Series Console QUESTIONS
« on: February 09, 2023, 11:49:41 AM »
Hi!

I've started assembling my new old E series console.
Now I have some questions...
Instead of opening lots of new threads, I think it's easier and more focused to put everything in one thread.
First Question:

How do I connect these 6 pin connectors to the upper bus card under the console?
In the documentation they are labeled B, C, D, E, F, G, H, K, T & B3
Do the letters correspond to the patchbay rows?
What are T and B3 for?

Thanks!
Tilmann

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: Assembly of a early E Series Console QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 12:48:58 PM »
Hi,

Yes they are the patchbay rows.
T is for tape arm remotes.
B is power.

All of this is documented in the wiring section of the service manual.

Anthony.

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 01:27:24 PM »
ah, great, found it! (at the very end after 1000 Pages of Ribbon Connectors).
Still can't find the BICC Connection for 'C' in the Manual, but that's probably MTRK RET...

Thanks!
Tilmann

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL 6 way Bicc connections
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 07:14:05 PM »
Hi, just seen this post so hope I can help although it has been a few decades since I was involved with this even though I worked at SSL from 1980-87).
From memory, the upper buscard (originally 82E18?) with all the audio 6 way Bicc connectors on, had the following:

B   Mic inputs
D   Line inputs
E   Channel insert sends
F   Channel insert returns
G   Group outputs
H   Group Monitor returns
K   Tape Monitor returns

The above all refer to the patchbay rows and it may be a good idea to label them on the front panels (A B, C, D etc) so your external wiring can be easily referred back to the patchbay which would be helpful for outboard units (always label them with a patchbay ref such as U42 which is patchbay row U, jack 42) rather than any gear you plug into as it WILL change over time.

All these have 1 x 6 way Bicc connector for two channels (1&2, 3&4 etc). 1, 2 and 3 are the odd channel (Hot, screen and cold) and 4, 5 and 6 are the even channels (such as 2, 4, 6 etc).

T   Bicc connector is the track arming one for analog tape machines but rarely used these days with all the digital recording gear. Having stated that, I may be about to wire one of those shortly as they go to DL's 41 and 42, the track arming connectors on the connector panel which need wiring out to an analog tape machine (Otari MTR90 in my case). The wiring for this does NOT appear on the patchbay as it goes straight form DL's 41 and 42 to the buscards on Bicc T.

1 X 8 channel buscard will have a 6 way Bicc for power, labelled B3 which was also used elsewhere in the console (the 681 keyboard for example).

As far as I know, there is NO Bicc C !!!???

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen, UK and wiring moderator on here.

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 08:07:10 PM »
Hi Jim, great post, thanks!

I was wondering about the connector C...

One thing is not clear to me yet.
All my internal wires are labeled with the channel number and letter
for the connector. But one cable is marked "Y".
Had to leave before I could investigate further.
Will check tomorrow when I start connecting the wires from channel one up.

Maybe someone has an idea?

Very exciting to put the console together after looking at it in my recording room for the last 3 months!

Thanks
Tilmann

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Multitrack returns linking on patch or connectors
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 06:52:46 PM »
Hi Timaen
Thanks for your comments.
Surely Bicc Connector C does NOT exist???
"One connector marked Y" ... Is this for every channel? Take some pictures please.
The only thing I can think of is that the "Y" cable is the one from DL 11 or 12 (multitrack returns) which would go to row C (multitrack returns) and is LINKED to row J (also multitrack returns).
Both C and J get half normalled to rows D (line inputs) and K (tape mon inputs) BUT, in your case they may be separate and NOT linked so, let me know as this happened sometimes.
Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (jimlfixit on here).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 01:08:37 AM by jimlfixit »

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 07:11:57 PM »
The only time I ever came across "Y" labelled cables was when it was associated with optional functions like "Solo Isolate" or "Solo Link"

I agree with Jim, some photos would be of assistance.

Anthony.

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 09:58:22 PM »
Thank you Jim & Anthony!

It took me all day to connect all BICC connectors to the 44 channels and add the missing Direct Outs 33-44.
Each channel has the connection marked 'Y', not a connection marked 'C'.

I have to track it down tomorrow. The cables are connected to the external patch bay with Tuchel connectors, no DL connectors here.
Will take some pictures tomorrow.

The two patchrows 'multitrack return' are individually wired to the console, but terminate on the same console Tuchel connectors.

The console is from 1980, so probably no solo isolate or link functions...

Thanks!
Tilmann

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Multitrack linking on patchbay or via connectors
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 01:06:30 AM »
Hi Timean
Your reply makes sense and is as I suspect, the multitrack returns are separately wired from your connector (Tuchel 24 or 36 way as opposed to a DL 96 way).
Will await your pictures but I am guessing that the Tuchel has two wires from each contact, one to row C on the patch (multi returns which is half normalled to row D ... line inputs) and the other one to row J which is half normalled to row K (tape monitor inputs).

Normally, multitrack returns would go from the DL11 (1-24 or 32) to patchbay row C (multitrack returns) and that would get internally LINKED to row J (also multitrack returns).

In your case, I think the Tuchel ('s) feed row C (half normalled to D ... line inputs and Bicc D) and the so called 'Y' lead goes directly to row J multi returns on the patch) which gets half normalled to K (tape inputs). Therefore you probably don't have a Bicc lead labelled K1 for instance as it would be labelled Y1 instead. Is this correct?

It is the same difference in a way as the LINK between row C and J is done from the Tuchel as it would be much more difficult on a DL with the smaller contacts which are crimped, not soldered.

Later consoles would have the multi returns going to row C and LINKED within the patchbay to row J. Your one just does the same link directly from the connector rather than have the link within the patchbay.

Hope this makes sense and take some pictures. Is row C half normalled to D and row J half normalled to K? Also, are there two wires from each Tuchel pin (which are solder connections)?

I have been meaning to document the SSL patchbay with schematic drawings but need to pay the rent first!

Tired now and need my beauty sleep as I am 66! Nite all.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 01:09:52 AM by jimlfixit »

Richealey

• Nashville, TN
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 01:30:38 AM »
My console is 15 years newer than yours but on my console the wires that were labeled Y were the Group Monitor Returns. These are Yd from the tape machine send row H. The one under Group Outputs. This is what you hear when you press the ready group button. Their corresponding Bicc is labeled H.
Richard

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 10:12:19 AM »
My console is 15 years newer than yours but on my console the wires that were labeled Y were the Group Monitor Returns. These are Yd from the tape machine send row H. The one under Group Outputs. This is what you hear when you press the ready group button. Their corresponding Bicc is labeled H.
Richard

Hi Richard, that makes sense.
I just noticed that my upper bus cards don't have a 'C' connector!
I couldn't find it in my documentation either.

It was only mentioned:

B Microphone Input
D line Input
E Insert send
F Insert Return
G Group output (Direct out?)
H Group monitor Input
K Tape Monitor Input (which I assume needs to be connected to 'Y' in my case).

T Multitrack REMOTES (No cables for this connector in my console).

The 'Upper Bus Card Layout' sheet is not present in my 1980 documentation.
(I have a second 1995 E-Series service manual where it is).

Thanks,
Tilmann

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 10:38:53 AM »
Your reply makes sense and is as I suspect, the multitrack returns are separately wired from your connector (Tuchel 24 or 36 way as opposed to a DL 96 way).
Will await your pictures but I am guessing that the Tuchel has two wires from each contact, one to row C on the patch (multi returns which is half normalled to row D ... line inputs) and the other one to row J which is half normalled to row K (tape monitor inputs).

Yes, that is correct.

Normally, multitrack returns would go from the DL11 (1-24 or 32) to patchbay row C (multitrack returns) and that would get internally LINKED to row J (also multitrack returns).

I removed the whole multicore to the Tuchel Connector and linked it internally (C to J).
(One of two modifications I did to the original remote Patchbay)

In your case, I think the Tuchel ('s) feed row C (half normalled to D ... line inputs and Bicc D) and the so called 'Y' lead goes directly to row J multi returns on the patch) which gets half normalled to K (tape inputs). Therefore you probably don't have a Bicc lead labelled K1 for instance as it would be labelled Y1 instead. Is this correct?

I don't think so, as I have wires for each Channel wich are labeled 'K'

It is the same difference in a way as the LINK between row C and J is done from the Tuchel as it would be much more difficult on a DL with the smaller contacts which are crimped, not soldered.

Later consoles would have the multi returns going to row C and LINKED within the patchbay to row J. Your one just does the same link directly from the connector rather than have the link within the patchbay.

Yes, but I changed it to internal linking.

Hope this makes sense and take some pictures. Is row C half normalled to D and row J half normalled to K? Also, are there two wires from each Tuchel pin (which are solder connections)?

My Guess is, that the Cables labeled 'Y' hast to be connected to the Buscard connector labeled 'H', as it is the only one left (except for 'T').
Does that make sense?

Attached some Pics.

Thanks!
Tilmann

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2023, 12:03:31 AM »
I Think I leave it for now at it is, and test the connections when the Patchbay is connected...

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 12:06:31 AM »
Any idea what those metal bars are for?
Maybe somehow to attach the plasma box to the console?
couldn't figure it out yet...

Thanks
Tilmann
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 12:34:52 AM by tlmaen »

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 01:28:21 PM »
FIXED:

There was a sheet of paper documenting the CH position of each frequency.

Is there a way to identify the correct Channels for the Bargraph Meter, so that the Analyzer Frequencies are in the right order?

The Meters have no channel information, all in one Box...

Thanks,
happy Sunday!

Tilmann
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 11:15:23 AM by tlmaen »