Author Topic: 6000 E, Ultimation faders, and no computer setup help  (Read 2826 times)

audioparlour

6000 E, Ultimation faders, and no computer setup help
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »
So we recently acquired an SSL 6048E, loaded with 4000G modules and E EQ, and ultimation. Amazing desk, and I basically commissioned the whole thing myself, without ever really working with an SSL.  I also cut her down to a 40 channel. The desk was basically in pieces when I got it, meters, faders, bus cards, everything in boxes, save for the center section and patchbay.  So, after 5 days of work, everything works as it should save for a few things.  We never got a floppy dual drive from the guy, so I can't run the computer without one.  I have the 50-10 way ribbon terminators on the underside of the desk in all of the available places (all channels, VCA, etc).  The power supply for the faders (audio) is on, and has the same terminators in the slots 'groups to computer' and 'groups to console,' and I can get the signal flow to function as it should.  But the VCA groups do not work, and when I hit VCA's on the meter select, the bargraphs read some of them maxed out, no matter what, and some of them go up and down with the ultimation fader movement.  Not sure if this is normal when not using the computer or what.  Can I use the VCAs with no computer? Or is the audio routed just through the fader wiper when there is no computer present? Also, the CA fail light is on, which I assume is normal for a setup like this. All of the audio from the line ins and multitrack returns passes through the ultimation faders as it should, we can mix.  Just want to get it all working correctly.  Any help would be awesome. Thanks! 

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:49:12 AM by audioparlour »

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
Re: 6000 E, Ultimation faders, and no computer setup help
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:22:57 AM »
In Ultimation systems you have two choises to route signal with Large Fader, throught the fader wiper or throught the VCA chip. In your case your only choise is throught the fader because you don't have computer to control logics which should change routing between fader and VCA.
You don't need those termination plugs underside of console, except one for the master. Master fader controls voltage of the main VCA chips and that has to be looped back. Normally signal goes to the computer and from there back to console. Neither you don't need terminations in fader psu. With computer S14E from master and groups is connected to the PSU which makes loopback in case computer fails. This is also why CA FAIL light is on, meaning there's no computer.
I don't have Ultimation Manual in the hand right now and don't recall if groups need computer to work or is it possible to make loopback to get group control work.

You've propably seen thread about Dramastic Audio's new system? I really recommend a computer with Ultimation desk. What's the point of moving faders if they can't dance?  ;)

-Paavo

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:24:49 AM by kilmister »
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

audioparlour

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:15:51 PM »
Yeah I've seen that thing, looks like it's gonna make life a lot easier!  So that would make sense that its being routed through the wiper, and now that I took the ribbon terminators out of everything except the master, when I meter VCAs they're all reading the same. I guess there's no way to use groups, as I cant select VCA mode anyway. Thanks for the help!

Kev

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »
Hey!

I've spent today with Ultimation Service Manual and maybe found a solution how to get groups work without the computer. All you have to do is solder pins 1 and 2 together at IC10 at 82E352 cards. It's a SMD chip but with decent soldering tip it's very doable modification. Also easy to remove if needed.

-Paavo
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:46:26 PM by kilmister »
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

audioparlour

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:55:27 AM »
So I'd solder pins 1 and 2 on ALL of the fader cards? Or just the the group faders? Also, I'm just running them with the main fader supply on, not the motor power supply. It's hooked up, but I don't seem to need it to pass audio. And it's a 6000 E console, not sure if I'm supposed to have faders on the A B and C busses below the 688 master section for this all to play properly. Right now I have no faders there. I'm contemplating just selling the whole Ultimation system and grabbing a VCA system. I dunno.