Author Topic: You guys using power conditioners for your desk?  (Read 3365 times)

James Lugo

• SSL Mixing Online
You guys using power conditioners for your desk?
« on: May 26, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »
Do you guys have power conditioners on your power supplies? Is it necessary?

How's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101060]APC SURTD3000XLT UPS - Newegg.com

radardoug

Re: You guys using power conditioners for your desk?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
You've got serious regulators in the power supply already. Why would you need a power conditioner?

James Lugo

• SSL Mixing Online
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:03:31 AM »
Just was wondering.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »
Hi James, what are you hearing that you dislike?

James Lugo

• SSL Mixing Online
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »
Nothing but we a power surge and outage and a few days later a rail went on my ps. Didn't know if an external conditioner would help.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
Nothing but we a power surge and outage and a few days later a rail went on my ps. Didn't know if an external conditioner would help.

Perhaps the power supply needs looking at...what went in the rail, and which one was it?

power conditioners (unless REALLY expensive ones) they shoot out square waves or modified sine waves with lots of distortion (more than the usual 10% you get from the mains here in UK) so not sure how much more beneficial it might be to your case...

Mattia.

James Lugo

• SSL Mixing Online
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »
Not sure I'm in Australia working, the first 2 lights at the top of the light tree are off. Both ps were shipped to Millet Friday.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
Hi James,

What you would benefit is to install on your main box/breaker box a couple of Power Surge protection breakers:

Example -> http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Portals/0/Consumers/Images/Tertiary/surgeDiverter.jpg

This will guarantee you that if a power surge occurs the excess amount of power will not go into your studio/house circuit and overload everything that's powered, but instead will be diverted to the main grounds and protect your gear.

Despite that I think the SSL PSUs already have some "strong" power conditioners that will give you an healthy DC signal into the console. Of course, this is assuming the PSU is ok. ;)

Cheers,

Artur 

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »
when one supply goes the opposite rail turns off as well, its the design. that is a good design as well, so knowing which one is off is not really beneficial, its both!

this sounds like a dual supply system. Failure may occur in these systems with the regulation of the two power supplies wandering away from each other over time and the current sharing not being shared, the load consequently shifting to only one of the supplies and failure following.  Please check the balance of these dual supply systems over time (say every two years).

Power conditioning is usually not a bad thing, but to get an adequate conditioner for a larger SSL board is no small task. I have not really tried to figure out the minimum requirements, but it would be on the largish size. To me, 3kw is not largish.

I have always liked  Superior Electric Co. Stabiline voltage regulators, not cheap and some people don' like the system architecture.  But they can be hooked up to do the whole studio, able to be ordered up to 2150 Amps! as well as more reasonable levels. I have built several sites using these units, mostly they were industrial sites (radio transmitters) but also one studio. Everyone likes the constant 120Vac at all times and the clean power it provides.

The only problem I see is the more recent purchase of the company by Danaher, a company that I have little respect for. They have purchased Fluke and Tektronics among other tech companies. Not an innovative company to work for anymore, nor caring about the employee's, don't expect leading equipment from these companies anymore.

Alan Garren

link to Stabiline products (pdf)
http://www.danaherspecialtyproducts.com/uploadedFiles/Siteroot/Superior_Electric/Products_and_Solutions/STABILINE%C2%AE_Automatic_Voltage_Regulators/whrcat10-01.pdf
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:28:32 PM by waltzingbear »
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio