Author Topic: Feeler: SSL 5K Modules/IP/EQ's/PSU's/Panels etc I'm considering Selling Up  (Read 4215 times)

DigitalMetal

• London UK
    • Pro Tools PC
Hi folks,

I've been collecting SSL 5K parts for several years now some of which is documented in my GroupDIY build thread here: http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=41573.0.
My priorities have changed since i started on this journey and i'm considering closing up my studio and selling all the stuff i wont have space for when its gone, My loss can be your gain so I'd like to get an idea if people here are interested (and if the prospective prices are worthwhile) before just sticking it all on ebay to a wider audience and perhaps better money.

So here's what i think i have, if you want to chip in and comment with some thoughts on good prices and whether they would be interested please do!

SS552 IMO/Mixbus Module built into a 1U rack as a 24 channel summing module (3x 25 way dsub inputs, inserts pre and post master fader & a front panel mounted pot as a master fader) - I have all the parts to rebuild it into a standard SL552 if required and is ripe for SSL Bus Compressor builds/mods.
(pictured on top of the rack)

SL521 Stereo Input Modules x12 (includes High/Low Filters that sit either side of the EQ modules plus Inserts)

SL522 Stereo 3 Band EQ's x12

EQ Backplane cards which 4x EQ modules can plug into x3

SL524 Aux 1&2/Direct OP Modules x3

SL552 IMO/Mixbus Modules with pre and post main fader pot inserts (ripe for SSL Bus Compressor builds/mods) x3

SL505 Dual input, Input modules x9 (includes High/Low Filters that sit either side of the EQ modules plus Inserts) one is possibly in pieces as spare parts.

5K Module height Dual VU Meter Bezel Panels for Left,Right, Surround & Centre

5K Module height AKG BX20 Reverb Control panel (just two pots on a silk screened panel, and 2x misc control panels, 1x Talkback panel with pots mounted.

Lots of DIN41612 connectors for the back of modules.

Clyde Electronics Scotland +18v 5A  / -18v 5A /48v 100mA Phantom 2U Rack mount linear Power supply (Big heavy duty PSU - Perfect for SSL modules) x4

I will also have lots of module guide rails available when the rack is broken down (i have spares too) but will hold off selling them seperately to give whoever buys the ip & EQ modules first refusal.
No doubt i'll come across some other bits and pieces too which i'll ad dhere as i find them, I think this is a great opportunity for someone to expend their console or in fact build one as i had intended its probably the biggest collection of 5K parts available anywhere in one place right now, short from buying an entire console.

Any questions fire away!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:28:37 AM by DigitalMetal »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Beautiful gear.

is there any chance to see what is inside the summing box?

Mattia.

Helterbelter

• Zevenaar, The Netherlands
Info on the summingbox (IIRC there are a few pics of Neil's build as well in this thread)...
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43999.0

Neil : Thank you for the heads up. I know a few people who'd like to take some parts off your hands, I'll contact all three of them tomorrow.

For myself : I'm always interested in 552's and 524's, I'll send you an email tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:02:45 AM by Helterbelter »

DigitalMetal

• London UK
    • Pro Tools PC
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the messages I've had it thought i'd try and address the main questions here rather than needing to repeat myself multiple times privately,
At the moment I'm trying to get a feel of what people are willing to pay because for me, I obviously need as much money as possible (the whole reason of selling up, otherwise i'd rather keep it all to sell as finished usable units in racks).
So
I'm looking for 'the best offer really so shoot your best prices you are willing to pay via PM and i'll see how it looks.
The reason for selling the parts bare is so i don't have to build them into 1U racks of 1 input module and one EQ, or summing units etc, but if i don't attract good enough prices i can go ahead and do that it just means more work but ultimately better prices to a wider audience on ebay .

Some of you guys have consoles so the bare units will be ideal so make me some offers.

The wooden racks/wiring shown should not be regarded as i dont intend to sell them as complete units in the racks Unless one person buys the whole rack they are welcome to have them as the wiring is now in pieces and incomplete (i can finish it all if someone really wants the two complete racks with PSU).

With regards the summing unit, yes that thread paul linked to gives some details (thanks Paul) but i dont think the images are showing anymore its not particularly beautiful but it works (was kinda built as a prototype to make more that looked nicer, but i never got round to it here's some pictures i too during the build but they dont show the krone strips i used to bus the signals together i dont seem to have any pictures to hand of them.

DigitalMetal

• London UK
    • Pro Tools PC
Hi ,

I've sat on this stuff for a few more years and not actively pushed selling it, so here's one last opportunity before I really do ebay it.
Cheers
Neil