Author Topic: 4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE  (Read 53529 times)

xmax

Re: 4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
The website will be fully operational soon.

PelleG

• Stockholm, Sweden
    • Automan
4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
http://www.atomicinstrument.com/ new pics soon.
If you build your power supplies like you build your website I would be seriously worried!
The order page doesn't work at all!
And no photos?
You could spend half an hour and improve your website a lot, and make your possible clients much happier.

Give the guy a break!

Just because someone is a designer/developer it doesn't automatically make him/her a businessman.

I'll say: forget about the www and continue to focus on your product.

It's ready when it's ready.

xmax

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
I'm even worse at website shit!

radardoug

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2014, 04:20:20 AM »
Hi Xmax,
              I have a client here in New Zealand who would like to buy one of your supplies. He has tried to contact you but has not been successful. I suspect he is not alone! Tell us, do you want to sell these supplies? If so, you need to communicate with your possible clients.

xmax

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2014, 04:29:49 AM »
There are many many people waiting and I share their frustrations, I never realized the insane amount of things
needed to launch this thing correctly, but I assure you, we are building the first 10 and we will be taking orders
in February. Best regards. N

radardoug

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 06:25:21 AM »
The thing is, if you were taking orders now you might be building 20!   And I'm back to nagging about that website again!
The client has an old and dodgy supply, he would really like to know that he could talk to you and order a supply, and have some idea when it would turn up.
I personally think it is a great idea that you are doing this as I like to see the old gear kept going. But please try and understand things from the customer perspective too. In these days of 'buy anything on the Internet' we are all used to instant gratification.
And of course the most important part of a console is the power supply.

If you want some help with the website, I would be happy to do some for you. I only do basic html pages, but in this case thats all you need. You can get Kompozer and Filezilla for free on the web, all you need for simple html pages.

xmax

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2014, 06:52:03 AM »
Again We can take his order in February and ship within 30 days
of deposit. Thanks. N

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
New switch Mode PSU
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 01:47:45 PM »
Hi Xmax

After reading posts on your new replacement SSL PSU for a while it seems like you are having difficulty with getting a new and potentially useful product ready for eager buyers and marketing it at the same time. There are numerous jobs to do at once and it must be very time consuming especially if you are alone on this (I'm not sure).

I am not a tech nor SSL owner (just a wiring dude) but perhaps I can suggest that you potentially think about getting a few trusted and experienced people in different Countries to Beta test one of your new supplies. This would cost shipping fees of course and you would need to agree some form of contract such as sale or return but, at least it may help establish some credibility to begin with.

Surely most people would only commit several thousand Dollars to something new only after having it reviewed by a third party. This forum provides the right people to make their judgement before others follow and buy it.

Secondly, the marketing has to almost happen at the same time as the design, modify and build process and you probably can't find time to do both. Maybe get some help with this so someone else can set up your website (someone on this forum has already offered) as a working template with some info and pictures while you concentrate on what you are good at, the electronics I guess!

Take more detailed pictures, front and back, including some inside ones to get more people interested. Do your spreadsheet costings and look at leadtimes for components and assembly work sub contracted out, either near to you or in other Countries.

Get your logistics sorted so you can handle production, sales and purchase orders, client details, modification sheets, documentation, terms, ROHS, credit accounts with suppliers, quality control, possibly foreign exchange accounts, warranties, stock control, reliable couriers etc ... Heck the list goes on!

And you have to have your cashflow planned correctly especially as you are just starting in this venture. This is VERY important as it generally means lots of outlay up front before you see some proper returns. If you get this aspect wrong, you could lose orders if you can't get the parts and assemblies in time. This is a stressful time but just needs some proper planning in advance assuming the product is good and can eventually sell.

There is a lot of work to do and I doubt you can manage all this by yourself, hence my suggestion. I worked at SSL from 1980 till 87 and know what initial problems they had with designing, making, changing, marketing and actually selling their product (just the 4k at the time) so I am just offering this advice as I realise that there are a lot of things to attend to all at once.

My thoughts above also apply to the people on this forum designing and possibly producing a new SSL computer system which also looks an exciting product. A new PSU and, especially a replacement computer system, would really help to keep the older SSL consoles alive. Good luck people.

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK

xmax

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »
Good advice, every single point you mentioned has been addressed: hence the long wait.
My business Partner is 9 time Grammy winner F. Reid Shippen who also holds a degree
in marketing, He has been willing to put his reputation and wallet on the line for this
product. He has been mixing with the prototype for 8 months, I trust his judgment and
we are doing everything by the book and it takes time! We have had multiple blind
test all over the country with the first production unit with multiple grammy winning
engineers, all this data will be on the official website very soon.

This is a video of me adjusting the incoming AC from 250v to 60v! granted, in actual
use under load, the unit would shut down at about 90vac, but this video demonstrates
seemingly impossible regulation and voltage compatibility! thanks for taking your time
to try help a fellow lead huffer !

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=576012545807800&set=vb.154448727964186&type=2&theater

let me know if the link works! I will also get it up on youtube.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:40:45 PM by xmax »

xmax

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2014, 03:09:40 PM »

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
try again, its marked as private.

This is not rocket science folks, it is a switching psu, these are the traits of most all switching supplies. And it is one of the reasons why we want to use them.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

xmax

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:59:22 PM by xmax »

xmax

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »
Mr. Bear, is the video available now? and I have referenced your web sites schematics section many times
and very much appreciate you having taking the time to create it! I am a tube lover myself, but the ssl
 community has been longing for this product for a long time, somebody had to to it!

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2014, 05:39:09 PM »
seems to work now.

And I'm glad you have taken on this mission! Someone needed to do it. Although it's fairly "straightforward" its still full of potential hidden traps and foibles. As all design projects are.

I'm tired of fixing those old beasts!

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

xmax

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »
It has been a bitch!