Author Topic: Some big news for us this weekend  (Read 20450 times)

Dmc6mav

Re: Some big news for us this weekend
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
New video showing the swipe action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv1mtj4rDaM

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
i had a quick look yesterday. didn't take any pictures, there wasn't really anything that hasn't been covered.

they said that the final system will be modular, similar to a 500 series rack, so you can add blocks of 8 channels.
the price will be an 'average' of 7-8k. if you have a bigger console, the price will go up too.

i'm sure this will be a great system for many people, and they are working on ways to connect the whole thing directly to pro tools.

they don't seem to have any ambition to make the old keyboard and screen work again, which makes the whole thing a bit pointless to me personally.
i'm quick on the old system, and the last thing i want is a touch screen interface that distracts me from the music while mixing.
but that's just me, and i'm sure many of you think otherwise.

the recall looks fancy, but doesn't really add any new features.

daw implementation will be the big one, let's see what happens.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
Hi Brewery!

Thanks for the report! I must confess the the system is a bit pricey...

Btw, have you had the chance to take a look at the automation? Is it the same look and feel as the original?

Cheers,

Artur

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 11:27:21 PM »
It needs to fit into the current work flow, and maybe have at least Midi MTC, so it locks to Protools without the need for a virtual machine (2Tools ZX card) I'm guessing this will be the case, and it's stated it has SMPTE read/Write.

I use 2" tape also, so I'm wondering if it will be happy with the standard Otari profile, with Tach pulses and code. Mmm..

If the price is wrong.. they just won't sell.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »
Also, is this a Mac emulation running the original code, or written from the ground up? It's a very small market they've gone for, and they have to get it exactly right.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 11:40:03 PM »
That would be a major bummer if they don't get the centre keyboard working..

I'm starting to fly around this keyboard now, auto matching etc when making moves. Having to deal with a touchscreen keyboard will send me psycho.

S.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »

I'm starting to fly around this keyboard now, auto matching etc when making moves. Having to deal with a touchscreen keyboard will send me psycho.

S.

It totally needs to be better than what we have... otherwise no one will buy it, like Pedro's 'Automan" system, it was way to personal conceptually, and that was it's failing to a lot of us.

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 12:58:19 AM »

S.

It totally needs to be better than what we have... otherwise no one will buy it, like Pedro's 'Automan" system, it was way to personal conceptually, and that was it's failing to a lot of us.

i guess some people think it's better - nicer gui, sync via usb, pt integration etc.

but honestly, i don't want any of that when i'm automating on the board. i find this is the time where it's most important to just be 'in the zone', and not have bright screens around, let alone touchscreens.

for really tight rides and getting rid of esses, daw automation is totally fine, and it won't mess with inserted dynamics.
but when it comes to more creative rides, the less distraction there is the better (imho)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Some points about possible new Dramastic SSL computer product
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 02:10:17 AM »
I've looked at some of the comments on this forum about the potentially new SSL type computer product from Dramastic and have some observations to make as follows:

1   The price may seem to be a bit too prohibitive for quite few users these days. Consoles used to cost 120K but are now nearer 20k. The computer price should reflect that.
2   If it interfaces to ProTools, that is good for now but, can it be somehow future proofed for something else later on?
3   The iPad screen understandably seems to be too small to deal with. Surely, most studios have fairly large screens these days. Have Dramsatic thought about having a mouse to locate and change settings on an external screen?
4   Does this run on PC as well as Mac?
5   Does it have a split screen facility (same screen and/or different screens)?
6   The older SSL's had a 5" TV with other images projected onto a larger screen (originally a 32" BARCO, supplied by SSL in the early 1980's for about £3,000 from memory). Maybe the keyboard could be on an iPad type device and other functions shown on a bigger screen.
7   If the smaller iPad device is used near the console centre section, have they thought about how it fits on the console (on sliders, just resting on some nearby panels, channels or perhaps mounted on another stand ... even a mic stand!)
8   Are all Timecode issues addressed?
9   Can it print TR and track lists etc like the original SSL products if required?
10   What are the price implications for adding extra channels?
11   Do the existing console 50 way S14E ribbons just plug into the external rack?
12   Would this hardware rack be a 3u version or different?
13   Is TR fully catered for?
14   What does this new computer system add, if anything, to the existing, much older SSL version?
15   Looks like it may be available in the summer of 2013. Could some people have a Beta version to test out?
16   If they get the product and pricing right, it could prolong the life of SSL consoles. If not then we all lose out!
17   It seems as though the old 681 keyboard and the 685 screen will be redundant. The bad news is that these items will be worth less and the good news is that you can use these 681 and 682 sized spaces for something else (note that the 685 TV fitted into a 682 sized space).
18   Does it work with Ultimation?
19   Is Midi catered for?
20   Does it interface with various older analog tape machines?
21   What are the various maximum cable length implications (iPad to rack, console to rack etc)?

These are the thoughts I have had so far (excuse me if I have got any details wrong). Obviously, there will be more questions and points to make as things develop over the next few days or weeks. I don't know much about the SSL computer issues but thought I would point various things out as this new product could have an affect on us all. If it keeps the SSL dream alive, that's great.

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Based in the UK
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:17:46 AM by jimlfixit »

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
Best news ever! I'm very enthusiastic about this. The videos tell me that these guys know exactly what they are doing. I definitely want to have it.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Response from Dramastic re new SSL computer replacement
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 02:05:52 AM »
Hi SSL people. I had an email today from John Ellis from Dramastic which is shown below.

He responded to an email I sent a few days ago which is as follows (I have edited it a bit for clarity purposes):

This is my email in red.

When the word spread around last week that you people were developing a new replacement SSL computer system, this forum went wild and the original post has now had over 2600 views and 38 replies to date. I realise that you are busy at NAMM but you almost have a ready made market via this website. Hopefully, you have seen this website before, if not, do so right now as it could prove very useful to you and your future clients.

Mattia Sartori, the creator of the site has also written to you and Sintech (Andy Henderson) and I (username jimlfixit) are moderators). This site is just dedicated to SSL users unlike Gearslutz and others.

On my last post on the subject, I have written 21 points or questions. Perhaps you people could post something on there as a reply to all our questions especially as NAMM may be finished now and you can start to answer all the many enquiries you may have coming in after NAMM exhibition. More pictures would also help including some of the rear of the hardware rack showing what and how the existing cables plug in.

Am I correct in assuming that your system replaces the 11u computer rack, 5u power supply, any hard drives plus the console 5" monitor and keyboard? Also, do the console 50 way ribbons just plug into the 3u rack? What about the S113E SMPTE lead and other console functions if required? Can the iPad screen be duplicated or split with other screens (see my list of questions on the forum)?

Could some technical people over here in the UK (Sintech and / or Mata Haze) have a Beta sample to evaluate and provide feedback to you.

If your product works and is priced correctly, you could sell a lot of these and it will extend the life of the SSL console. The link to ProTools is also very handy.

I'm just a wiring guy but realise that there are some problems (especially spares) with a 30 year old SSL computer system judging by the comments I have seen or heard over the years. Maybe, your product is what all SSL users have been waiting for especially as SSL don't support their older systems any more!

This is John's reply in blue, again edited for clarity.

The new system completely replaces the old SSL computer and power supply. No modification to the console is necessary. The G Platinum processor connects to your console via the 50pin ribbon cables and to your Mac via USB. Your iPad then connects via WiFi. The iPad is now your GUI and displays the recall as well as session and mix data with high resolution graphics. This data can also be viewed on the MAC. The software and all session data resides on your MAC.

The new system is modular and can be configured to your specific console.  Each card handles 8 channels of I/O. There is also a built in SMPTE generator / reader. The hardware and software have been designed from scratch. The software will be very similar to the original but with some modern improvements. More software updates are planned for the future.

I showed a prototype of the system displaying a recall at NAMM 2013 last week. The system is currently in development and a production model should be ready sometime this summer.

Feel free to contact me with any questions

John Ellis, Design Engineer
Dramastic Audio Corp.
22 Graystone Place
Milford, NH 03055
(978) 263-5096 phone
(978) 264-4301 fax

I hope I have addressed some of our issues correctly. Also, it would be good if John, or others from Dramastic, view the many comments on this subject in this forum and post some comments to an eager bunch of SSL users. I'll amend this and add his email address after I obtain his consent first. Regards from Jim Lassen (jimlfixit). www.profcon.co.uk.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:50:01 AM by jimlfixit »

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »
Thanks Jim, great job!
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
THanks Jim!

I hope the guys at Dramastic Audio release soon more detailed info and detailed movies about this great product. I hope they'll price it fairly too.

It would also awesome to seem them here at the forum...

Great neeews! :D

Cheers,

Artur

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »
Doesnt this opens up other oppertunities like in future software updates been able to use the console as a DAW controller aswell?  Just thinking out loud, track arming/rec enable could be useful (read fun) :)

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
I'm sure the future of this new Mix/Recall Computer is largely depending on the number of SSL 4000-owners who go for it. Same for the price. One would think it's a no-brainer for any studio still seriously using a 4000, but as we all know studio economics have drastically changed so it's not a safe bet.

I sure wanna have it, but 7-8000 USD is a tough call.

Doesnt this opens up other oppertunities like in future software updates been able to use the console as a DAW controller aswell?  Just thinking out loud, track arming/rec enable could be useful (read fun) :)
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog