Author Topic: Installation of an SSL4064G+ in Frostbox Studios Copenhagen  (Read 5566 times)

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
Hi all

3 weeks ago we started the decommissioning of a beautiful and healthy but dirty 4064G+. The studio we bought it from was only located 4km from our studio which made everything a lot easier.

To see a time-lapse of the decommissioning and part of the installation check out this YouTube video:
http://youtu.be/dssRbLo9MVI

Today we are almost finished with the installation and the cosmetic refurbishment. From here on we will start powering up and hunting down all the (hopefully) little electrical faults until it is perfect!

We also got an grounding rod installed 6 meters into the ground with a resistance of 3.87 ohm. Anybody have any experience with grounding and Ultimation faders?

Thanks!

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Installation of an SSL4064G+ in Frostbox Studios Copenhagen
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
brilliant!
what is the question regarding ultimation? it is a tricky system at times...

M.

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:48:52 AM »
Thanks!

We heard from the previous owner that if the electrical installation wasn't properly grounded using a high quality grounding rod the levels would slowly decrease. Anybody now anything about this?

Also we are about to design the ventilation of our machine room. On the other side of the wall is a big garage. We are thinking of installing two or three 170mm ebmpapst fans (max 700m^3 pr. hour) in the top sucking out the hot air over the SSL rack out to the garage. At floor level we will have a slotted opening for the air to get in with some kind of filter to avoid dust getting in too. The fans have pwm in and tach out so we will try to connect an Arduino Yun with humidity and temperature sensors for control. With this we can also monitor the machine room ventilation through the internet. If it all works  :)

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
Ground wire should be connected from the console to the computer grounding point only.

-Paavo
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:11:16 AM by kilmister »
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply Paavo.
I know about that grounding cable. I am talking about general ground in the house electrical installation. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »
Basically you want one point of "ground". This is usually the point where the safety ground and the neutral are bonded together (by law usually), most often at the service entrance. THIS IS GROUND. make no additional to bond to the outside, from there you usually have your bonding to the ground stakes, but remember ground is at the bonding point, not outside the building at the stake, its really a reference point, not "ground". there is no such thing as ground. Building codes vary alot from area to area so your case will require local knowledge.

You can run home runs from that point to have clean grounds, such as isolated grounds, but that is your ground point. Putting in additional stakes into the earth can put your equipment at risk of damage during transient events (surges, lightning, etc)

Making sure all equipment connects well to ground is the important part. Having a clean path to ground is also a good idea. Additional stakes is not a good idea. You can upgrade your existing stakes to have a lower impedance to ground, thats not a bad idea, but they connect directly to the bonding point and no where else. The bonding point is ground.

The bonding point is ground. Want a star ground, go from there.

I think you get the idea.

if you want to look at lowering the impedance of the earth connection long term, there is a lot of newer research that has been done on concrete grounds, very interesting and stable over time.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

neumann25

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 04:45:36 AM »
Thanks!

We heard from the previous owner that if the electrical installation wasn't properly grounded using a high quality grounding rod the levels would slowly decrease. Anybody now anything about this?

Also we are about to design the ventilation of our machine room. On the other side of the wall is a big garage. We are thinking of installing two or three 170mm ebmpapst fans (max 700m^3 pr. hour) in the top sucking out the hot air over the SSL rack out to the garage. At floor level we will have a slotted opening for the air to get in with some kind of filter to avoid dust getting in too. The fans have pwm in and tach out so we will try to connect an Arduino Yun with humidity and temperature sensors for control. With this we can also monitor the machine room ventilation through the internet. If it all works  :)

I did a deep earth ground (80 rods 100 ft deep) and connected it to the neutreal bonding point in my main incoming AC panel. It did improve the sound. Water pipe which is usually required by law is also connected. I find that even though my audio is cleaner with no water pipe ground, just my deep rods, other things about the sound is not as good unless I have both connected. I believe a good  water pipe ground provides a better neutreal reference, ie everyones neutreal is connected to it.. I find with my water pipe connected and deep earth rods the resolve on the low end is really fast..

As far as ultimation, I had it for 22 years and finally changed to VCA's. I felt the ultimation power supply adds too much rubbish to the audio ground in the console. +  I don't like sound of the single ended amplifier in the ultimation system..You will notice better low end resolve switching to motors off when using the console, and better signal stabality..

Be certain that the 0v and chassis ground is linked on the back of your ultimation supply.. and make sure all your SSL supplies do have a home run ground to a star..

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »
Hi neumann

Thanks for the reply. On our Ultimation power supply the 0V and chassis connectors on the back are not linked. do you know why this is so important to link?

Thanks in advance
Uffe

neumann25

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:37:37 PM »

After much experimenting, I have found it sounds the best with it tied.. I mean 0v should see chassis ground in general at some point and I think thats a good point.

neumann25

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »

Its best to listen and measure... for lowest noise

neumann25

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
  If you really want best performance.. Its important to measure your building ground. You can do this with a AMEC ground testing meter.. I think its the 3731. It measures true impedence to mother earth.. Sometimes new buildings have PVC water pipes and that does not provide a good connecting to earth.. A ground rod 10FT deep measures usually 50 ohms.  You want 5 ohms or less. In my facility I have .75 ohms to earth.. !  Ground is important in a studio not only for low noise performance, but also voltage stabiltiy.. ie  my big power amps sound much better when my main building ground is solid.. I have found in audio the building ground  effects the performance of all the gear in the studio.. 

walrus

• London, UK.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 12:05:57 AM »
neumann25, I assume from your posts you are in USA, you can put that info in your profile so others can see.  I tend to agree with WaltzingBear, a correct installation as per the manufacturers recommendations shouldn't need any more earthing. Or is the mains supply in the US really that bad?  :o

Other countries will have different regulations regarding the mains supply, and extra earthing may not be legal.....
Kevin.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Temporary post re grounding stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 01:46:45 AM »
Hi all

Temporary post here (Andy, please delete this by the end of June 2014 if I forget).

1   I was wondering when 240 members would be registered here and it has now eventually happened so, well done SSL people. Looking forward to 250.

2   A reminder that it would be very helpful to know where people are based so we all know. Please state your Country and area within it. Notice my location details: City/Town is High Wycombe, County/State is Bucks plus the Country, UK in my case.

3   Also, when replying to a post, could you make it more specific in the Subject dialog box rather than just repeat the same phrasing as this would help other people searching for a particular subject at a future date.

I have some thoughts on grounding which I have have posted before but I have provided an SSL earthing (and console power wiring) schematic layout in the documentation menu I think. Perhaps this whole subject could be moved and made a separate topic as it is important.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:48:20 AM by jimlfixit »

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »
Thanks for the video! The console is looking awesome great work!

Looking forward for more developments about it! ;)

Cheers,

Artur

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »
To our London friends,

well, local regulation and enforcement vary dramatically, even within the same state. And ground requirements have been pretty lax across the board. The increase in computer usage and "smart" devices has been improving it somewhat, but it is still relatively poor across the board. Then you have such things as pex and other plastic water pipes being installed that can even remove completely ALL semblance of ground if follow up is done incorrectly. I seem to recall Paul Frindle telling a story of finding that had happened to his mothers house, in England, so that was floating at 240Vac, yikes!

When the water system was all metal, that made a pretty good ground without having to do much else. (unless someone was injecting a lot of noise into it) Today we cannot be assured of that and need to provide our own proofed out low impedance grounds (earths) that will not change over time. The typical installation here is for two cooper clad ground rods to be driven into the soil just outside of the the foundation separated by 6 feet. Totally inadequate for a good low impedance ground stable over seasons and time. 

Cheers,
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio