Author Topic: WTB: SSL 4K G+ - 48 channels  (Read 3666 times)

Kajtek

• Poland
    • www.velur.pl
WTB: SSL 4K G+ - 48 channels
« on: January 14, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »
Hello There !

I'm a newbie here, I'm looking for SSL board in Europe. I'm looking for 48 Channels 4k. With G+ computer.
Hit me with PM.
Thanks !
Martin

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: WTB: SSL 4K G+ - 48 channels
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
There are 2 or 3 selling at ebay Germany!  Check it out! :D

Cheers,

Artur

Kajtek

• Poland
    • www.velur.pl
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »
There was one in Frankfurt - but when I called yesterday - It was sold. Thanks for the info anyway ;-)))

Kajtek

• Poland
    • www.velur.pl
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
Thank You Mattia!

Still looking ! ;-)
Have a good evening!

Kajtek

• Poland
    • www.velur.pl
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:17:41 AM »
Still Looking ! Bump ;-)!

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
I was also on the hunt for a 4048. Did you check the known dealers? I know AES have a 1998 G+ and Mark Derksen in the Netherlands has a E/G+. Both desks completely overhauled. Unfortunately both were too expensive for us but Michael Stockdale of AES came up with an alternative. I guess it's a good idea to just call some of them and they might get back to you once they got something incoming.

The french desks were also on sale on Larking's List. I don't know, if they are still on sale. I was in contact with the french owner and he was willing to let 'em go for a bit under 40k.

I was told that the desk in Frankfurt wasn't in the best condition. It's now on sale by CML in Munich for 45k. A bit much if you now it was on ebay for under 25k.

Good look with your search.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:39:30 AM »
Hi Martin,

If you're willing to pay a little extra for a refurbished console contact me. I can refer you one of the best names in the market. He has a few G+ consoles in stock.

Cheers,

Artur

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
Unless you're expert and know what you're doing, I personally would buy only from an expert tech, such as Mark Derksen or Keith from Recycled Audio. Those guys are the best in the market and you're assured you'll be getting a top notch console that will last you for years. Otherwise, it's a blackbox of nasty surprises...

I did that choice and don't regret it a bit.

Cheers,

Artur

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
We would have loved to get a fully serviced one but we simply could not afford it. With a budget of 25k we went the hard way and you'll probably see quite a few questions from me on this board in the coming months.

We now got a 4040E, have some bucks left for spare parts and an Atomic S1 (beeing able to switch it of is very important to us) and are willing to put a lot of work and effort into it. The alternative would have been to save money for another 3 years. But that would have been another 3 years without a SSL. Could you do that to yourself? :D

Anybody WTB an 72channel D&R Triton?  ;D

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
Hi,

I understand. That's always a gamble, specially with parts market being so much crazy these days. Prices are insane! So getting one of these consoles up to spec, if you don't have the right source to replacement parts, can be a really nightmare and cashing out machine! ;)

That said, it's always pleasurable to be yourself doing all this stuff, since it's you that will be maintaining it in the future. Having the refurbish done yourself it's the fastest way to learn about what's under the hood.

Just make use of the forum and the experience to help you follow this path in the least painful way. :)

E consoles can be a bit badly treated due to age, specially due to lack of maintenance on its last years. Just don't spare the details, go under the hood, recap everything with the best caps you can, recalibrate, and check all those pots. Don't cut corners and you should be fine.

Check Marc Mozart's work on his G console. He didn't spare the details to clean, and make it the best as he could.

Cheers,

Artur

Good luck and keeps us updated with photos! :D

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
Thank you for your words, Artur. I know there is quite a way in front of us. Pictures and info will follow once the desk is really ours (and we're not ashamed cause it's just a piece of junk). It was under regular maintenance until a year ago and wasn't switched on since then. Peter Higgs will decommision it this week.  I know it has seen quite some action but I hope it has some mojo left. Otherwise we will have to make her scream again. ;)

Martin

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »
Hey guys,
get in touch if you want - I'm in Germany too.

Refurbishing yourself can be fun, but takes time.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »
Hey Mark, thanks for the offer. I've read almost everything from you. Nice website too. Thank you for your effort. I'll get in touch with you once the desk is with us. Exciting times and a great community.

Bis dahin...

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
they can apparently cut it down to whatever size you want

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSL-4000-E-G-/161624267772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a18e9bfc

Mattia.