Author Topic: Upgrading Pink EQs (292) to Black EQs (242) on a G console  (Read 7753 times)

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Upgrading Pink EQs (292) to Black EQs (242) on a G console
« on: January 19, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
Hi there guys,

I'm buying soon an SSL 6048 G fitted with standard G channels and Pink EQs (292 cards). My plan is to upgrade a few channels to Black EQs (242 cards) and have the console setup with a mix of pink and black EQs.

I have a few doubts regarding this process and I'm seeking your expertise to help me sort out some questions:

For what I've already investigated I know that in terms of the 242 card itself that's really simple to replace, since you just have to buy the switch over 242 card and replace it for the 292 card on the channel. There are a couple of trusty sellers that manufacture to specs modern replacements, such as Recycled Audio or Pro Audio Upgrades.

Also in term of cosmetics I'll also have to buy the correct color caps and "bell" buttons to have the channel resemble cosmetically the original Black EQ channel. I will have to live with that "LMF%3" and "HMFx3" white line I guess...

But here's where the fun stuff begins and where I have doubts, from what I've come to understand by looking at the schematics is that there might be also the need to replace a few channel pots, more specifically the mid range pots?!

Can someone please enlighten me on this process and describe more or less "in detail" what has to be done to upgrade completely a Pink EQ channel to a Black EQ?

Thanks very much,

Cheers,

Artur D'Assumpção

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: Upgrading Pink EQs (292) to Black EQs (242) on a G console
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
Ok guys,

From what I've investigated so far the G channel strips with 292 EQs have bigger wafer pots in the mid bands (with more pins), which are then connected to the 292 card via a "flying" 10 way connector cable. Whereas the 242 EQs use smaller wafer pots in the mid bands (with fewer pins) and these are connected to the 242 card via the edge connector.

Supposedly it's possible to reuse the original 292 pots (with more connectors) and reuse them to be used with the 242 cards, you just need to leave the extra wafer pins disconnected. Also you might have to use the edge connector instead of the flying 10-way connector cable.

Can someone tell me if this is true and elaborate a little more in the process please?

Thanks,

Artur
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:07:32 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

GabrielO

• Studio JORK
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
You need to solder the flats to the board and ad 2 missing wires from the pots to the board its quite an easy job.
I have done some recently.

If i find some time in the next days i will post a picture of where you need to solder the wires.

Best,
Gabriel

www.proaudioupgrades.com

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out! :D

I have a few questions for you. I presently don't have the schematics, nor a channel strip here so please bear with me ok? :D

- When you're saying the flats, are you referring to the flat cable that connect the pots to the EQ card (what I call flying cable)?
- And the board you're referring to the 242 EQ card correct?
- Only the mid band pots will need to be adapted or the others will also need some workout?
- In the end will be there any pins left flying (that are no longer used on the 242 card) on the pots as I thought?

By the way, these cards when in place will need to be calibrated correct? Do you have the procedure to do it?

It would be really nice to see some photos and how you upgrade them! Actually when I have the console here I might also contact you since I'll need to buy the replacement cards. :)

Thanks!

Artur

GabrielO

• Studio JORK
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
Hi Arthur, no problems we are here to help ;)

The flats that goes to the 292 EQ cards needs to go to the 611 board so directly to the channel strip!
I will do the picture of the pots to 611 board connection so you will see where they need to be connected.

The calibration of the the EQs is actually done on the eq itself and its actually calibrated in the factory so you dont need to recalibrate it...
We are making new 242 Black EQ cards and we calibrate them on our test jig so they are all calibrated to ssl original specifications.

As im quite busy this week i hope to have the to make the photos in the weekend.

Best,
Gabriel

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
Hi Gabriel! :D

Well that makes entire sense, since you'll be connecting via the edge connectors (dumb me). That only happens with the midband pots right? The others already are connected via the edge connector.

I forgot to ask, since those are 242 designed for the E channel strips, will you loose any functionality when fitting in a G channel strip?

It would be nice to see those pics when you have the time, i'd be very appreciated! :D

I'm thinking of loading a mix of Pink EQs (which are already loaded) and Black EQs on the console (which I will have to buy). I'm also planning to recap the entire console first things first, and with the 292 EQ cards recapped I will have to redo the calibration correct?

There's no urgency, just post it when you can and that'd be awesome! :)

I'll send you a private message regarding the Black EQs pricing.

Thanks!

Artur
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:14:41 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
Hi Gabriel,

Did you find the time to take those pictures?! :D

Cheers,

Artur

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
Gabriel, any updates on this?! :D

perfectsnd

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:28:37 AM »
Arthur,

I just did this on about 30 of my channels. When i get a chance I will document the process.  Everything went well.  It is pretty straight ahead though it can be a bit time consuming.  It is worth is though.

I have 48 mono that was all 292 plus 5 stereo with the 242.  I decided to alter channels 1-24 (left of the center section) and 25-32 just right of the center section. That seemed the most logical since most people put their drums on the left and the left side of the desk is normalled to the room tie lies so the E eq is available for tracking.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:26:43 PM by perfectsnd »

seedubs

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »
I would like to know about the pricing of the 242 clones too. i want to do the same to our 4056 G. Any one know? Thanks guys.

Clip6

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »
Recycle Audio has 242 @ 115BP and Gab has his at I think 130 euros.

GabrielO

• Studio JORK
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 11:11:20 PM »
Hi guys, we have the 242 in stock if anybody needs them, give me a PM or write me a mail to info@proaudioupgrades.com

best,
Gabriel

gertius

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Hi guys,
I´ve found this instruction page for switching EQ cards in an SSL4000/6000 in a picture on eBay. Maybe it helps someone.

Cheers!
Christian
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:38:22 AM by gertius »