Author Topic: TR Funk  (Read 13551 times)

Dan Korneff

Re: TR Funk
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
I've seen that video mess before. What box are you using to covert the video?
The SSL outputs video at 50hz sync, and most of these screens sync to 60hz. When I was getting sync issues, my TR looked exactly like this.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 06:28:10 AM »
Hi Dan, I'm using the Dramastic convertor box.

Something interesting I've just noticed... I have put a centre VDU in the console and now notice some stuff when saving a setup... perhaps there is confusing on the SAVE rather than the recall.

Here's a link to the pic.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVqa3NhV3JrWTgwTWRVag
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:32:06 AM by StefanNowak »

Doctor Ferg

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
The console screen is warning you that your VCA thumbwheel settings are conflicting so I can't see that would explain your problem with the RGB display... Showcase's power supply comment is a good starting point if you have a multimeter handy to check the voltage rails, they are silkscreen printed on the motherboard if you lower the front panel to the computer.  Dan could also be right about synchronisation, I don't know the Dramastic converter but any LCD TV with a scart socket should handle 50Hz RGB if you want to try an alternative display.

My feeling is that the fault may be related the Hi-Res Graphics (HRG card) in the five card TR computer sandwich. If I understand correctly, (and feel free to chip in if I am wrong:-) ) The 82e89 card provides an interface between the SSL computer and the Research Machines Z80 CPU card, this CPU card drives a Research Machines VDU40 40x24 character display and a Research Machines HRG card (320x192 pixels in colour!!)  The Research Machines design allows the bottom lines of the picture to come from the VDU40 - this is the stable text box you see on your screen, the upper part of the picture should be the familiar colour graphic image of knobs and switches that is generated by the HRG card.

The fact that you can see the text suggests that the SSL computer can successfully talk to the Z80 card and that the Z80 to VDU40 link is fine. If Showcase and Dan's suggestions don't fix the problem, you might try re-seating the ribbon cables going to the HRG card. If the display eventually stabilises after a few hours then it could be a thermal problem such as a dry-joint or suspect component, a few squirts of freezer spray around the HRG card would be my hunch, but you know how wildly off hunches can be :-)

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »
Hey! Dr Paul, your reply convinces me, this is going to be the premier SSL hangout on so many levels.

Thank you for your awesomeness.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »
Thank you guys.

Once the display does even out after warm up there is still no response from moves..

When the display is flickering and mad I do get some response (not correct a lot of the time) but there is some response on the screen when I move pots on the console.

Stef.

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
I dont think these 2 problems are related to each other

Some (at least newer) monitors are more sensitive than others and will flicker whatever you do but not like this so I still think its a CF82E98 card in the computer PSU!
Do you have other problems, like with floppy not loading some times?

The other problem (with adress switches of in setup), could be because of dust down in just ONE of the channel slots, which can  cause a shorting will  take out most of the TR in every channel, it shoudlnt damage anything but you need to make sure everything is fine down there, just saying...

...I dont know if this could work but maybe worth a try:

Configure the console to only 8 or 16 channel, then turn the other buckets of, see if the TR starts working, if it does then there`s probably dust in one of the other channels
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:59:04 PM by Showcase »

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 07:04:22 PM »
Hi Dan, I'm using the Dramastic convertor box.

Something interesting I've just noticed... I have put a centre VDU in the console and now notice some stuff when saving a setup... perhaps there is confusing on the SAVE rather than the recall.

Here's a link to the pic.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVqa3NhV3JrWTgwTWRVag

Wasnt the VDU card present before?? Without it, it will never work

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 12:45:04 AM »
The centre VDU (CRT) was taken out, I have since replaced it with a 5.5 LCD.

Stef.

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 07:15:54 AM »
The centre VDU (CRT) was taken out, I have since replaced it with a 5.5 LCD.

Stef.

Ok, I thought you meant the keyboard/VDU card, which also is à common source for TR problems

Doctor Ferg

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
Aw Sintech you are too kind, thank you, I have the same feeling about this forum. Jim L. hopes to get some more of the SSL guys on board too, I was at a seminar last Thursday listening to the encyclopedic Chris Jenkins!

Doctor Ferg

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
Hi Stefan, I hadn't realised TR wasn't working once the TR screen eventually stabilised.  It may indeed be that you have two faults although Showcase's power supply hunch could still explain any amount of console weirdness.

You have maybe tried the following data acquisition tests but if not, they might give the forum members a bit more info to help with the diagnosis...

using one of your Program disk copies go into the Maintenance Menu and navigate to the Total Recall settings, set TR tolerance to 1 ( hopefully you've now cut down your 30 metres of ribbon :-)  ) I would also suggest setting "use channel address switches" to NO to prevent incorrect DIP switch settings screwing with you whilst we try to work out what is going on.

Now go into the Diagnostic Tests menu (!TES EX) followed by T to get to the Total Recall tests. Type O to see the 10 bit AtoD values being read from the first half of the controls (down arrow to show second half, the fader SEL buttons select the channel you want to look at). A square should appear next to any changed or jittery reading.

Typing T will get you to the threshold setting test and you should see the number of any control you change. 

Have a play and see if if things are behaving as they should be!!

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 01:43:51 AM »
Thanks mate.

I won't be looking at the TR for another week or 2 as I have sessions this week! First thing we're going to do it cut the ribbons and put new connectors on them... wouldn't hurt regardless!

Thanks for your help and suggestions, this forum rocks!

Stef.

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
Thanks mate.

I won't be looking at the TR for another week or 2 as I have sessions this week! First thing we're going to do it cut the ribbons and put new connectors on them... wouldn't hurt regardless!

Thanks for your help and suggestions, this forum rocks!

Stef.

If the power cables are this long aswell, they need to be shorten, 30 m is too long and it/they will build up some resistance which results in a little voltage drop, and therfore a little less headroom actually!