Author Topic: Computer ribbon connections.  (Read 2630 times)

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
Computer ribbon connections.
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »
Howdy, Still troubleshooting and getting stuff repaired here on the computer.

I'm curious. How do you have your ribbons connected on the computer? Is it linear? ie #1 Faders 1-8, #2 Faders 9-16 etc?

Mine are all over the place and labelled accordingly... for instance, I have VCA groups on #1, then faders 9-16 on #2. Faders 1-8 on #9.

I'm very curious if this causes confusion with the Total recall and multiplexing, perhaps it doesn't matter?

Are you running dual I/O? I'm considering pulling the P/VCAs as I never use them and therefore will only need a single I/O system... will there be any issues here? I would guess not as there is no multiplexing involved.

Stef.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Connecting 50 way S14E ribbons to the SSL computer.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »
Hi Stefan

Assuming you have an 11u SSL computer cage, the 50 way ribbons from the console should be matched up to the computer rack 1 to 1 at least for identifying purposes. The console has the channels and VCA faders marked on the connector panel and the rear of the computer rack should be labelled the same as well. They plug into the computer rear panel and get distributed via the 82E40 or the newer equivalent card (82E???) behind it to the computer PCB's. From memory, there are about 4 x 20 way ribbons and maybe 6 or so 50 way ribbons from the internal distribution PCB which are internally loomed to the 82E43 (?) mother cards, each of which can house 3 daughter cards (82E47 ?).

Excuse me for maybe not getting all the details correct but it has been around 20 years since I had a good look inside an SSL computer cage to refresh my memory. When I next look into one fairly soon, I'll take some pictures and document it.

I hope this helps for now and someone with an SSL computer in use could possibly clarify this a bit more.

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:38:33 AM by jimlfixit »

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: Computer ribbon connections.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:56:18 PM »
Regarding multiplexing, as each channel has it unique address, the computer sees the channel in the same way, when placed in any position in the console, equally I guess the leads could be jumbled also.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:59:08 PM by sintech »

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
Re: Computer ribbon connections.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
I can happily confirm that Ribbons do not need to be in linear order on the computer end.

Bruce Millet had me change my faders 1-8 from I/O #2 input 1 to I/O #1 input 6 and with that my channel 2 came good.

Stef.