Author Topic: SSL PS CAN BE MIXED? 110V AND 240V? ANY IDEAS  (Read 3636 times)

pipaguapique

SSL PS CAN BE MIXED? 110V AND 240V? ANY IDEAS
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »
Hi everyone!

First post here...i did some search and didn't find this exact topic...so...

does anyone know if you can combine a 110v power supply and a 240v power supply?
We have a 4k g/g+ running at 240v and one of the two main power supplies when out  :'( and we happen to have two extra ps's that are 110v. Anyone knows if this would work?...or anyone knows who can help us rebuild or fix this one?

Lemme know! Thx!

Jerry 8)

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
Re: SSL PS CAN BE MIXED? 110V AND 240V? ANY IDEAS
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »
I would suggest care be taken when combining unknown power supplies. You will need to verify the supply voltage tracking of the two supplies before becoming comfortable. If they do not track well between them you may end up with all the load shifted onto one of the supplies and causing an overcurrent situation. The following chain of events is unpredictable but could cause the blowing up of one of the supplies.

This is assuming you are using the hotswitch box combiner and not powering different parts of the board separately.

The stock supplies are pretty good, but I have seen supplies that do not track and this warning is from experience.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »
can you guys simply convert the 110 to 240 ?
it's detailed in the manual and I am sure we can help if you post any questions here!

I would not mix and match.

Mattia.

EDIT:
here is the page on the manual that tells you how to do it:

pipaguapique

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 07:24:28 AM »
can you guys simply convert the 110 to 240 ?
it's detailed in the manual and I am sure we can help if you post any questions here!

I would not mix and match.

Mattia.

EDIT:
here is the page on the manual that tells you how to do it:

This might be a late reply...but it's perfect time for me. Thank you Mattia that's a great solution that we did not know we could do. Thankfully the desk doctor fixed our ps very quickly and just in time for more sessions.

xmax

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:07:47 PM »
In a pinch you can mix 120 and 240 "tapped" 661's (if you don't have time to rewire before a session),
but like Alan says the D.C. outputs of all supplies must be closely matched or one supply will be doing
all the work, all ssl's I know of use the change-over unit to combine multiple psu's. Unbalanced PSU's
I would guess is the leading cause of 661 failure. To get them right usually takes a couple hours of
powering up, letting things stabilize shutting down and re-tweaking. Anyone that has calibrated a 3x 661
system, back is probably hurting just thinking about it. Calibrating a one unit Atomic S2 in 5 minutes
is basically a dream come true.