Author Topic: Assembly of a early E Series Console QUESTIONS  (Read 2618 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
1980 early style SSL console assembly and some history from Jim Lassen
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2023, 04:20:28 AM »
Hi Timean
Almost too many questions to answer in writing but you are welcome to get in contact and have a phone call (whatsapp etc) about this as it would save time me writing although I seemed to have already done it!

Your console is indeed quite old (about 1980-81?) judging from the cable and connectors used.

Some brief answers as I can't spend much time on this right now.

1   Maybe SSL didn’t link the C and J rows in those early days? (I was there from 1980-87) but didn’t do any work on the frame wiring until after I left. C and J should be linked within the console patchbay (only screen ONE end) so that multitrack returns go to both Line Inputs and Tape Monitor Inputs as is standard these days.

2   The copper metal bars are for the 0v grounding and you should have two of them, one for the analogue and one for the other stuff which both join together at the DL panel and go out to a grounding connection (normally the computer or perhaps a clean earth connection if not) via a 0BA (M6) screw.

3   If you have Bargraph meters, the main box for these is secured at the back with along with various PCB’s in it. It would what be called a bulge panel and made by SSL. This would replace a standard flat black rear panel on the console.

4   Your connectors look like 30 way Tuchels which the BBC and Danish Radio used back in the 1980’s.

Going through your pictures:

1    Looks like some mods have been done by others on the upper buscards judging by the capacitors and different wiring used. Also surprised that Bicc T was not wired as that was the one for track remotes/arming and back in those days, that would have useful for Analogue tape machines. The B3 Bicc is a standard power supply connector for SSL’s and contains +20v, -20v, 0v, +11v for the meters etc and was also used for the 681 keyboard and other stuff within the console.

2   Bicc T is unused (see point above). The Blue ribbon connectors were Thomas and Betts to be replaced by 3M grey versions later on. Also, the coloured ribbon cable was quite expensive so was just used for Bargraphs and custom stuff later on so the different wire colours could be identified easily. SSL just used 3M grey ribbon for most of their ribbon connections from about the early 1980’s.

3   The patchbay picture looks fairly standard and, as a point of interest, notice they didn’t use the LETTERS ‘I’ or ‘O’ on the patchbays. This was because those letters could have been confused with the NUMBERS … 1 or 0 … Get it? Clever huh?

4   Those labels are very old in the picture but are labelled with a patchbay reference (if applicable) and a channel number. This Y version seems to be a split lead somehow.
I bought ALL of SSL’s stock of these Brady labels and have a few thousand here if anyone wants to buy them (I will put an advert on here at some point).

5   The copper bar is one of two through the console which join at the end under the patchbay connector panel, although I can’t see two in this picture. No idea why red and blue cables are wired to this as they should be just white for 0V (early days perhaps?). PS: SSL could not buy green wire in those days, hence being white cable.

6   Standard SSL 6 way Bicc list … moving on ...

7   Looks like lots of 30 way Tuchell connectors (or Winchester?). I enlarged the picture and they are 30 way I think and all soldered, unlike 96 way DL’s which are crimped (I supply DL's to most of the UK and Europe by the way). These would probably have 8 balanced circuits (24 pins) on each I think, therefore using 4 times the amount of connectors as a 96 way DL would!

8   Your drawing of the upper buscard (82E18?). All SSL ribbons were 'S'… something with an 'E' at the end (for E series). The MO versions were Molex 0.10” connectors used later on (especially on the 5K consoles etc). Surprised that the Tape remotes (BICC T) were not fitted (see point 1). Bicc C should NOT exist and I have never heard of that but it must be to do with patchbay row C (multitrack returns) before things changed and the patchbay rows C and J were linked within the console.

Damn it, I have now spent over an hour on this and I don’t type quickly! Get in contact if required but hope this answers some of your questions.

I wish I had this console in my old workshop as I could have sorted it out very quickly but, time moves on and I just work from home these days as there is hardly any work.

After 4am UK time now and I must get some food and sleep. Goodnight all for now. At some point I will document most of the SSL patchbay plus other connectors and also some wiring tips (most of my stuff got blitzed when a hacker deleted loads of pictures years ago which means I need to find them again ... meanwhile I really need to pay the rent otherwise I won't be able to contribute for much longer on here!).

Hope my comments help all. Regards from Jim Lassen in the UK.

Tonemiester

• Denver
Re: Assembly of a early E Series Console QUESTIONS
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2023, 07:33:19 PM »
Great Indo Jim. Appreciate all of your hard work!

Mike Trimble

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
E Series Console QUESTIONS continued Jim Lassen
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 12:43:33 AM »
Hi Mike Trimble

Thanks for your kind comments.

There is so much I can post on here but that won't literally pay my rent for free information and there is hardly any work these days.

At some point I will:
1   Catch up on my old wiring posts where the pictures have been deleted by the hacker years ago (big ARGH!). I have all the pictures but need to spend time finding the correct ones and re-posting them. This has really pissed me off big time and I hope this can't be hacked again like it was before.
2   Document the SSL patchbay with mics, inserts, tape outs and returns (which will be helpful) plus most of the centre section stuff. I have prepared some drafts already.
3   Post some SSL history stuff and some of the designers and others involved. Again, I have prepared some draft posts.
4   Document the SSL connector panel with most of the connectors you may never use but wish to know about, just in case!

Hope this helps for now but I am running out of steam with all this as I need to pay bills first.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 01:00:33 AM by jimlfixit »

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
Re: 1980 early style SSL console assembly and some history from Jim Lassen
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 09:46:49 AM »
Hi Jim,
thank you very much for your detailed answer!

Hi Timean
Almost too many questions to answer in writing but you are welcome to get in contact and have a phone call (whatsapp etc) about this as it would save time me writing although I seemed to have already done it!

Your console is indeed quite old (about 1980-81?) judging from the cable and connectors used.

Yes, it dates from 1980 and was the first console to ship with plasma bar graphs (I'm told...)
At the time, they asked for his Tuchel connections because it was being sold to Danish radio.

Some brief answers as I can't spend much time on this right now.

1   Maybe SSL didn’t link the C and J rows in those early days? (I was there from 1980-87) but didn’t do any work on the frame wiring until after I left. C and J should be linked within the console patchbay (only screen ONE end) so that multitrack returns go to both Line Inputs and Tape Monitor Inputs as is standard these days.

Yes, did that.

2   The copper metal bars are for the 0v grounding and you should have two of them, one for the analogue and one for the other stuff which both join together at the DL panel and go out to a grounding connection (normally the computer or perhaps a clean earth connection if not) via a 0BA (M6) screw.

I definitely have only one copper Bar!

3   If you have Bargraph meters, the main box for these is secured at the back with along with various PCB’s in it. It would what be called a bulge panel and made by SSL. This would replace a standard flat black rear panel on the console.

4   Your connectors look like 30 way Tuchels which the BBC and Danish Radio used back in the 1980’s.

Yes!

Going through your pictures:

1    Looks like some mods have been done by others on the upper buscards judging by the capacitors and different wiring used. Also surprised that Bicc T was not wired as that was the one for track remotes/arming and back in those days, that would have useful for Analogue tape machines. The B3 Bicc is a standard power supply connector for SSL’s and contains +20v, -20v, 0v, +11v for the meters etc and was also used for the 681 keyboard and other stuff within the console.

I was also confused that there are no cables for 'T' as they used two Studer tape machines.

2   Bicc T is unused (see point above). The Blue ribbon connectors were Thomas and Betts to be replaced by 3M grey versions later on. Also, the coloured ribbon cable was quite expensive so was just used for Bargraphs and custom stuff later on so the different wire colours could be identified easily. SSL just used 3M grey ribbon for most of their ribbon connections from about the early 1980’s.

3   The patchbay picture looks fairly standard and, as a point of interest, notice they didn’t use the LETTERS ‘I’ or ‘O’ on the patchbays. This was because those letters could have been confused with the NUMBERS … 1 or 0 … Get it? Clever huh?

That is very clever!

4   Those labels are very old in the picture but are labelled with a patchbay reference (if applicable) and a channel number. This Y version seems to be a split lead somehow.
I bought ALL of SSL’s stock of these Brady labels and have a few thousand here if anyone wants to buy them (I will put an advert on here at some point).

5   The copper bar is one of two through the console which join at the end under the patchbay connector panel, although I can’t see two in this picture. No idea why red and blue cables are wired to this as they should be just white for 0V (early days perhaps?). PS: SSL could not buy green wire in those days, hence being white cable.

6   Standard SSL 6 way Bicc list … moving on ...

7   Looks like lots of 30 way Tuchell connectors (or Winchester?). I enlarged the picture and they are 30 way I think and all soldered, unlike 96 way DL’s which are crimped (I supply DL's to most of the UK and Europe by the way). These would probably have 8 balanced circuits (24 pins) on each I think, therefore using 4 times the amount of connectors as a 96 way DL would!

They have 10 Channels on each connector, saving some space

8   Your drawing of the upper buscard (82E18?). All SSL ribbons were 'S'… something with an 'E' at the end (for E series). The MO versions were Molex 0.10” connectors used later on (especially on the 5K consoles etc). Surprised that the Tape remotes (BICC T) were not fitted (see point 1). Bicc C should NOT exist and I have never heard of that but it must be to do with patchbay row C (multitrack returns) before things changed and the patchbay rows C and J were linked within the console.

Damn it, I have now spent over an hour on this and I don’t type quickly! Get in contact if required but hope this answers some of your questions.

I wish I had this console in my old workshop as I could have sorted it out very quickly but, time moves on and I just work from home these days as there is hardly any work.

After 4am UK time now and I must get some food and sleep. Goodnight all for now. At some point I will document most of the SSL patchbay plus other connectors and also some wiring tips (most of my stuff got blitzed when a hacker deleted loads of pictures years ago which means I need to find them again ... meanwhile I really need to pay the rent otherwise I won't be able to contribute for much longer on here!).

Hope my comments help all. Regards from Jim Lassen in the UK.

Thanks again!
Hope this helps other too!

Best,
Tilmann

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 10:26:18 AM »
Great Indo Jim. Appreciate all of your hard work!

Mike Trimble

Yes! Thanks!

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 10:28:05 AM »
Any idea what those metal bars are for?
Maybe somehow to attach the plasma box to the console?
couldn't figure it out yet...

Thanks
Tilmann

Anyone?
Pls see picture...

Thanks,
Tilmann

Richealey

• Nashville, TN
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2023, 01:32:06 PM »
Your photo seems to be corrupted - won't load.
Those metal bars might be for attaching the bottom panels.

Richealey

• Nashville, TN
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 01:36:56 PM »
Jim Lassen
I would also like to thank you for sharing your years of wisdom.
It's guys like you that make this forum as useful as it is.

Richard

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2023, 02:32:22 PM »
Jim,
You and Andy (who used to work on my desk in the UK) are a treasure here. I continue to get educated by you guys on this valuble resource.

Thanks for all you guys do!

Mike Trimble

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2023, 07:36:30 PM »
Mike Trimble, thank you for your kind comments.

You mentioned that me and Andy Henderson worked on your console in the UK. Is this the one that came from Komplex Studio in Bristol (South West UK?). I worked on that one with George Gilbert (ex SSL test engineer) and Andy was also involved in the studio belonging to David Francolini (now in France).

I have so much info about the old SSL's which I will try to post on here at some point, when I have the time.

Anyone is welcome to contact me and have a chat (Whatsapp etc) about any issues as talking is quicker than writing and I can't type quickly!

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2023, 08:44:21 PM »
Question about the bar graph meter:

I'm almost done with all the wiring!
A small loom is somewhat unclear.
It's the 2x20 way ribbon cable from the bargraph motherboard (inside the external box) to the Center section.
The cables are marked "S66E" and "S118E".

In my original service manual's diagram, the top ribbon connector in the Center section (S18E) is connected to the 82E55 distribution board.
But in my Center section it is labeled 'S18E BARGRAPH'.

Between 'S17E' and 'S19E' there is another Ribbon Connector (which is also not in my diagram) and is labeled 'S18E/82E55'.

Can I assume that the top ribbon connector is meant to connect the CS to the bargraph motherboard even though it's labeled "S18E" instead of "S118E"?
And the bottom connector 'S18Em/82E55 goes to the distribution board?

Can anybody confirm this?

That's the last thing I have to do before I can fire it up tomorrow!

Thanks,
Tilmann

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2023, 04:30:30 PM »
Jim,
Thats the one. My understanding was that it was put together for David by George from a larger console that belonged to Hugh Padgham's engineer, but I could be wrong. You guys did an amzing job of upkeep on it because it arrived in Denver, Colorado (now in Pennsylvania) and fired right up. I have had very few issues with it. If have any further insight on the desk, feel free to contact me at mmtrimble@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Mike

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2023, 11:08:45 AM »
Figured it out.
The topmost connector goes to the Bargraph Motherboard.
The bottommost connector goes to the Meter Distribution Card.

Question about the bar graph meter:

I'm almost done with all the wiring!
A small loom is somewhat unclear.
It's the 2x20 way ribbon cable from the bargraph motherboard (inside the external box) to the Center section.
The cables are marked "S66E" and "S118E".

In my original service manual's diagram, the top ribbon connector in the Center section (S18E) is connected to the 82E55 distribution board.
But in my Center section it is labeled 'S18E BARGRAPH'.

Between 'S17E' and 'S19E' there is another Ribbon Connector (which is also not in my diagram) and is labeled 'S18E/82E55'.

Can I assume that the top ribbon connector is meant to connect the CS to the bargraph motherboard even though it's labeled "S18E" instead of "S118E"?
And the bottom connector 'S18Em/82E55 goes to the distribution board?

Can anybody confirm this?

That's the last thing I have to do before I can fire it up tomorrow!

Thanks,
Tilmann

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2023, 11:12:14 AM »
My console is 15 years newer than yours but on my console the wires that were labeled Y were the Group Monitor Returns. These are Yd from the tape machine send row H. The one under Group Outputs. This is what you hear when you press the ready group button. Their corresponding Bicc is labeled H.
Richard

Found a page in the Service Manual (Tuchel Connector Summary) that says 'H+Y'.
So this seems to be connected correctly.

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2023, 11:17:30 AM »
Your photo seems to be corrupted - won't load.
Those metal bars might be for attaching the bottom panels.

I hope you can see it now, still no idea what it's for...