Author Topic: Joining your ranks soon - power supply question  (Read 777 times)

79_Limited

Joining your ranks soon - power supply question
« on: December 21, 2022, 02:40:56 AM »
Hey everyone,

New to the forum here and I will be joining your ranks soon and I could not be happier.  I’ve been a SSL Matrix/Sigma user for many years but really missed grabbing real faders and knobs all along the way. After a long process of research I will be pulling the trigger this week on a 1985 4040 with mostly black EQ and onboard patch.

A big deciding factor for me was the Tangerine system and power supply options. Kudos to these innovative companies for breathing new life into these works of art.

My question is which new power supply do you all prefer?  I am leaning towards the Toft PS but I have also heard good things about the Atomic.

Do either have strengths or weaknesses?

Ideally I would install the PS that would allow me to shut off the console when not in use.

Nice to meet you all and I will give you more updates as the install progresses.

Dave Dicson

Re: Joining your ranks soon - power supply question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 06:10:42 PM »
I have installed Atomic Power Supplies on all are 4 SSL consoles. The consoles don't like being turned off for short periods of time. I have remote turn off/on switches in all the control rooms. 2 of the consoles when turned off by a human or power failure, also turn off there computers.

Original_Box

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 06:52:54 PM »
Hello 79 _Limited

Welcome to the family. I have an Atomic SBD2 on my 4048G+. It is about as bulletproof as you can get. Soft start, and will not just boot kick back on if power is pulled. Atomic designed them to be powered off when not in use. Mine is in use most of the time, but when shut off there hasn't been any issues starting back up. I just let the console warm up for about 2 hours before using, and all seem to be thermally stable. It pulls about 1100 watts from the wall and the fans are very quiet.

If you are USA based, the Atomic is a no brainer.

79_Limited

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 09:31:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. 

From reading the Atomic seems to be widely adopted and you all seem satisfied with it.  Although the Atomic more expensive than the Toft I will purchase a Atomic S1 since it is US based and would easier to be repaired if need be.

I will have more questions as I go but this is a great start.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 10:06:58 PM »
FYI, I gutted and rebuilt an SSL power supply with switchmodes earlier this year. Pulls around 600-700W for 48 channels with VUs. Cost around US$500 in parts.
I turn it on and off every day without issue!

The Atomics use the larger 1000W supplies, and has an additional filtering section.

Anthony.