Author Topic: Program Disk Error w/ Master Fader problems **SOLVED**  (Read 2430 times)

billythekid

Program Disk Error w/ Master Fader problems **SOLVED**
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:30:01 PM »
Hey all, so we got a 'Program Disk Error' and restarted the computer. Now we have a scrambled screen on the console's monitor and the master fader is not working. The master fader is not doing anything not kill audio when down all the way and the overall output of the console is lower than it should be. I'm thinking the Program floppy drive is dead, I can temporarily get by w/o the SSL computer if I can get the master fader to work. Has anyone heard of this or know of a work around?

Also been searching around for a 3.5" replacement drive, and from my research I need to use a specific floppy drive, but can't find anyone actually verifying some make/model as working. Anyone have a working replacement floppy they could recommend?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:24:26 PM by Matt Sartori »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Program Disk Error w/ Master Fader problems
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:01:50 AM »
Bypass the I/O cards from the computer or console end with a bridge IDC connector.
this way you'll get the audio controlled by the faders: both VCA and master.
Then try and get  new program disk to see if that fixes the problem.

Matt.

billythekid

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 02:14:20 AM »
Would you mind explaining where on the console end I could bypass the I/O cards?

Tried a back up program disk with no luck. The yellow led is not blinking on the Program drive. Was told this may mean the computer isn't even looking for the drives. Any trouble shooting ideas as to what I may be able to try next.

Going to switch the program and reel drives now and will update.

Seriously appreciative and greatly thankful for your reply Matt!

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 02:33:03 AM »
you need to get IDC female to female connectors .
what you are basically trying to do is to send the DC back.

I don't have any pictures but your ribbons at the console needs to be bridged between output and input.
this will isolate the console from the computer, allowing you to run a session.

after this concentrate on the computer issue:
with power off check connectors on the computer cards are absolutely clean and re-seat all the crds especially the Video Distribution one.

I would start from there, I hope someone else will join the conversation.

Matt.

billythekid

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 03:03:39 AM »
So flipping the two drives did nothing.

I attached a picture of the ribbon cables on the console side. Is there anyway you can try and walk me through what I would be doing. I feel like this is a stupid question, but these are the ribbons you were talking about, right? Just don't know where I should be putting jumpers because they're not labeled input or output. So maybe these aren't the right ribbons?

Sorry for the stupidity! Also going to focus on the cabling between the drives and computer, but would like to have the bandaid fix so I can keep sessions going.

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:08:09 AM »
If you want to bypass the computer, here is a couple ways to do it, look at page 12 i think

billythekid

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 04:38:03 PM »
Thank you for the reply! So good news, the problem is now solved.

I attached a picture for the DIY SSL Computer Bypass Link Plugs I was able to find around on the internet. Thanks to Matt for this suggestion, it got me by.

I also was able to get the program to load. Here's a quick recap of what was done. Every time I would hit the reset button I would hear faintly the drive try to run. So traced the 50 way ribbon from the Disk Drive Unit to the computer and there was a nic in the ribbon through two connections. Once I spliced these together, drive LED became operational and program loaded.

Thanks as always to this amazing forum!

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: Program Disk Error w/ Master Fader problems (solved)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 12:21:04 AM »
Awesome you got a result :-)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: Program Disk Error w/ Master Fader problems (solved)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 09:05:12 PM »
Hi all (I've missed some recent posts, sorry).

Yeah, the SSL computer bypass ribbon is just a 10 way ribbon looped back on itself as shown in the picture. Can't quite remember how it is configured but I think it is actually 31-40 back into 41-50 on the 50 way free socket as used for the console to computer looms and shown on the picture posted.

Be careful when you pull those connectors out of the console as you could break the end off of the chassis connectors in the connector panel. Just gradually ease them loose!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:07:27 PM by jimlfixit »

billythekid

Re: Program Disk Error w/ Master Fader problems **SOLVED**
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:03 PM »
Hey all, had another computer issue and had to put the computer bypass plugs back in. Now I'm noticing the master fader is not working correctly. Would anybody know where to start with this?

billythekid

Re: Program Disk Error w/ Master Fader problems **SOLVED**
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
Well for the record I got it to work. It was a problem with the computer bypass plug in the "VCA 1-8" position.