Author Topic: TR and stereo channels - 8K  (Read 2428 times)

Dan Korneff

TR and stereo channels - 8K
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:57:05 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm finally getting around to retrofitting the TR into my 8000GB. This console never had a computer, so I got one of those... installed multiplex cards + bus driver... remote keyboard... it's been fun so far   ;)
I've successfully installed this on 8 mono channels and everything seems to work as it should.
My issue is with the stereo channels. Multiplex cards and ribbons have been installed, 2 jumpers were moved to the proper TR positions on the motherboard. TR is seeing these channels as mono and the faders are stuck at full blast.
I'm assuming that the toggle switches on the multiplex cards have something to do with this, but I have no documentation on what to do. Any clues out there?
Thanks in advance
Dan

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Re: TR and stereo channels - 8K
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
Exciting! One day I will follow your path. Were you able to get good deals on the Multiplex and TR Cards?
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »
if anybody needs Multiplexer cards please give me a shout.

yes I think the dip switches configure the channel. I cannot remember on top of my head I need to search through manuals!

Mattia.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
Dip switches designate the channel address: 1-56 + Spare 1-8 for the TR. (up to 88 with a double I/O scanning system)

Checking the service manual (1985) it's no different for mono or stereo.. so it must have a different method of knowing a Stereo channel is present. Mmmmm!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:26:47 PM by sintech »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
Dip switches designate the channel address: 1-56 + Spare 1-8 for the TR. (up to 88 with a double I/O scanning system)

Checking the service manual (1985) it's no different for mono or stereo.. so it must have a different method of knowing a Stereo channel is present. Mmmmm!

the master!
Andy on the case!  ;)

Mattia.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:20:45 AM »
I seem to recall (excuse the pun) that originally SSL fitted stereo channels as A-H etc so, I wonder if there is any reference to these letters on the 03 card switching sheet but I may be wrong! Perhaps the letters are literally just on the channel module and A may be a substitute for 41 for instance (B for 42, C for 43 etc).

On a separate note, I think the stereo channels (perhaps just Bicc B which would normally be the mic input on a mono channel) get wired out to 25 way D connectors on the console connector panel on S126 and S127 etc. Hope this may help but it's all based on my past memory of all of this many years ago!

Regards from Jim Lassen

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »
does the computer 'know' about the fitted stereo channels? pretty sure it's part of the console setup options, and there might be even more hidden away in the master maintenance menu.
you should do a fresh console setup whenever change channel configurations, ideally including a new bar graph setup.
off the top of my head - setup / m / y / c / o   (setup/maintenance/more-yes/console/objects) could be wrong though, not in front of the console right now. somewhere in there i think stereo channels are mentioned.
hit delete in the objects menu, and put every fader in manually (press 'here' for the master fader)
i can have a deeper look tonight if needed.

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:37:46 AM »
As mentioned check that the option "Stereo modules in console?" is set to YES, to do so, hit SETUP EX/M/SETUP

Also there is 2 different charts for setting up the multiplexes dips, one is for mono modules, and one for stereo modules, so not the same
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:39:34 AM by Showcase »