Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: New PSU for SSL 4000E
« Last post by ULH on April 12, 2021, 10:20:54 AM »
Great you got it sorted.
And yes I can see the B2 description in the G service manual 5-55 (which is identical to E service manual 5-55) and it is a bit confusing without the chapter 9 explanations.

You can get the SSL 4000G Console Service Manual here on the forum: http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=292.0

Best regards,
Uffe
« Last post by nycsudio1 on April 11, 2021, 08:59:15 PM »
Hi Uffe,

Thanks for your response.

The E + 20V 5A is according to page 5-55 of the E series book that I have. I don't have a G series console, not sure if the books are different.

Also, on page 5-8 of my book, it shows B2 and B9 related to the psu connections, however, I only have B2 showing on my book, which is the one on page 5-55. I believe that B9 is the pinout for the female of the Cannon connector on the PSU, unfortunately, I cannot find it anywhere in my book.

I turned the old psu on and read the voltages on the female connector. I now understand the +7vdc.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Louis

Hi Louis

I can't seem to find in what documentation you found "E: +20V 5A." Can you refer to a specific source document/page no?
Pin E on the 661 BICC 19pin connector should be connected to the positive of your 7v psu. On the console side it is connected to the postive +18.5v audio rail.
Yes G should be connected to Negative of your 7v psu and is known as "Logic common". This rail will be approx +12v above audio common when connected to the console.

M and N should not be connected if you do not have plasma meters.

In general read page 9-3 and 9-4 and  9-13 in SSL 4000G Console Service Manual for all details regarding this and calibration of the power rails.

Best regards
Uffe
« Last post by ULH on April 11, 2021, 03:20:51 PM »
Hi Louis

I can't seem to find in what documentation you found "E: +20V 5A." Can you refer to a specific source document/page no?
Pin E on the 661 BICC 19pin connector should be connected to the positive of your 7v psu. On the console side it is connected to the postive +18.5v audio rail.
Yes G should be connected to Negative of your 7v psu and is known as "Logic common". This rail will be approx +12v above audio common when connected to the console.

M and N should not be connected if you do not have plasma meters.

In general read page 9-3 and 9-4 and  9-13 in SSL 4000G Console Service Manual for all details regarding this and calibration of the power rails.

Best regards
Uffe

« Last post by nycsudio1 on April 10, 2021, 10:59:00 PM »
Hey there,

While checking the SSL 4000 books for the wiring on the Cannon ITT from the power supply, I thought of checking if anyone could clarify the following:

E: +20V 5A. (not sure where to find a +20V 5A when the PSU's that I am using are 25 amp.

Since my console doesn't have plasma meters M and N will not be used, assuming that N is the +13vdc that is connected to the 250vdc according to the attached diagram.

Should N be without any wires, in the case, there are no plasma meters in the console?

G is +13v 5amp which I assume is the negative of the 6vdc.

I appreciate the help with this.

Best regards,

Louis

Hi paresjavier
I have seen your pictures and well done with your DL wiring.
Can I suggest that you do NOT need to crimp the screen (drain) wire sleeve or heatshrink as there is no need for that and I can see from your pictures that it tends to bend the rear of the DL crimp at an angle which could affect how easy it is to remove at a later date.
With the screen wires, I use rubber sleeving which I can then move back a bit when I crimp the wire so that it springs back onto the rear of the crimp and doesn't actually get crimped and you can't do that with heatshrink as it is more rigid, if you understand that?
I notice that you use tape on the various lots of 8 circuits. I use waxed twine, which SSL use for their looming, and keep it on the wires when loaded ino the DL plug (see the picture).
Also, I put the 20mm x 190mm sheathing on first (see the picture again) after I strip and separate the loom (see the picture). Also note that I put the H20 x 20mm rubber sleeve on the individual cable about 2/3rds on and 1/3rd off.
Hope this helps and it it is ALL down to careful preparation.
The first DL plug I made was for Peter Gabriel in 1987. I priced up his outboard racks and spent 7 hours on the first DL (I never made one in my 7 years at SSL from 1980-87!) so it was a bit of a shock. These days I can do one in under 2 hours with everything I show in the pictures including testing and labellng (a 32 pair takes more time).

I am very nervous of putting pictures on here now after some hacker broke into this forum and deleted ALL the pictures a few years ago which will take me some time to find them and put them back in the right order for all of my posts going back some 8 years or so ... ARGH!

Update: I have just seen your latest pictures 10th of April 21 and they look good. What cable make and type are you using in the pictures out of interest?
4K,6K,8K Series / 651 centre card extender info
« Last post by jimlfixit on April 09, 2021, 11:22:56 PM »
Yes, as I remember it from my days at SSL 1980-87, SSL sold extender card sets for the 651 and the channel modules.

1   The channel module extender card comprised of two PCB's, one of which plugged into the actual channel on the console busscards with a big PCB and then it extended out via 3 x 50 way ribbons to a smaller PCB which the channel module plugged into, in order to test it outside of the console frame. I believe that Recycled Audio, here in the UK has its own version of this for sale.

2   The 651 extender set was not sold a lot back in the early years due to the price but, as someone states on here, they were a mix of different extender cards which had (from memory) 55 and 65 way connectors. The idea was that you could raise (or take out) the 651 centre section within the console, plug in the right extender card and work on the card which had the problem.

Both 55 and 65 (if I am correct on this) cards within the 651 had different keyway gaps. The cards in the 651 had the blue (T&B??? ... Thomas and Betts??? or maybe I am wrong and they were Amphenol or something else) PCB upright connectors with a gap at different places where a metal keyway (block?) was fitted so you couldn't plug a card into the wrong place, if this makes sense?

Not many clients ordered the 651 extender set as it was quite expensive due to the different connector types and the keyways involved but, it shouldn't be hard for someone, these days to do their own version I guess (with help from others on this forum!).

Regards from Jim Lassen in the UK and hope you are all well and busy considering all this Covid stuff affecting our industry BIG TIME?
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: Center section 82E24 card issue
« Last post by DaveCox on April 06, 2021, 11:05:30 PM »
No probs, have a quick look at your extender card as I found out the hard way that the extender cards are specific to each master section card. The keyways are in different positions. There will be a sticker on it detailing which card it's for.
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: Center section 82E24 card issue
« Last post by skipburrows on April 06, 2021, 02:47:39 PM »
Hey Skip, I have an extender card for the 82E24 I could possibly loan you assuming you are still trying to resolve your issue. Where are you located?

Dave
Hey thanks a ton Dave. I managed to get the female 65 way extender off eBay. I have t been able to go back to the school yet as I am going to move the entire studio from a temporary studio I put together and move it again!!! To a permanent facility. This is because the school did a brother in law deal and hired a bunch of idiots that had never build a studio before... what could possibly go wrong!! Anyway I will have a chance in a few weeks and will report back.. really appreciate your offer. Might need to borrow a 55 way female extender at some point...

Cheers
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: Power supply issue
« Last post by Riff Raff on April 06, 2021, 12:17:39 PM »
Thanks Dave, I will check all that, as I don't really know exactly why it's working now.
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: Power supply issue
« Last post by DaveCox on April 06, 2021, 11:23:56 AM »
I had a similar issue on my 6048. Power supply was ok but no +18 and no +11V. After some tracing I found the switch powering the 651 section was faulty. Some fader clean and lots of toggling got it working but it's unreliable so I'm replacing it soon. Place a volt meter across the switch terminals on the back of the switch, it's tricky to do but if you see any voltage across the switch when it's operated then you've got a bad one. My bad news is that it seems to have created some other faults in the console. Example, the Master Channel Input Flip button was stuck in the on state. Found a dead BC212 transistor on the 82E21 card. Was ok before the switch fault. All fixed now though. My program/master fader not working now so there's another fault to look into, bus compressor working ok so it's a bit of a weird one as the master fader is directly tied into the compressor if I understand it correctly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10