Author Topic: 6K Bus Selector Switch  (Read 1080 times)

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
6K Bus Selector Switch
« on: July 01, 2022, 10:36:00 PM »
Hey all,

Thought I might ask here, if anyone has had experience with this.

The Grayhill selector switch on a 6K has that awful insulation on the back of it. By the look, a lot of mine are starting to age and understand it becomes conductive over time - possibly creating shorts.

Has anyone had to replace this, or has it caused issues for them in the past? It's a massive job to replace this.

Anthony

Pinebox

Re: 6K Bus Selector Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 04:58:46 AM »
If it is crumbly, its Hellerman sleeving and a total nightmare. Over the years it reacts with the sleeving lubricant and can eat away at circuit boards, corrode component legs and cause all sorts of issues. You might be better off just crumbling it away and leaving contacts exposed if you cant be bothered to re-insulate. 

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 12:10:40 AM »
Hi Anthony

I am the wiring moderator on this website, worked at SSL for 7 years (1980-87) and have been involved in many studio installations and product builds ever since.

I can NOT see the point in sleeving anything like this. Ok, put a short sleeve on an LED lead which has voltage but a switch, or a patchbay jack wire does NOT need this as it will take time to take off in a hurry.

SSL used rigid solid core Kynar wire for most of this stuff so, it will not move, hence no need to sleeve it. They used Hellermann rubber sleeving which, over many years could be harder to remove as it's shelf live expires over time. I rarely sleeve anything these days as there is no need for the reasons I mentioned above.

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 05:19:38 AM »
Been having an issue on one of the channels which I narrowed down to this ABC selector switch. Random static noise direct to the main bus, and a severe thump when switching.
Thought I might see if I could clean up the insulation and solve this issue once and for all.

It worked an absolute treat and now all noise is gone.

Cleaning it up and reworking the wiring was a real PITA, taking just short of an hour.

Now to do the same on the other 21 611V channels I have.

Anthony.