Author Topic: How to connect Direct out 33-48 to the Patchbay?  (Read 763 times)

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
How to connect Direct out 33-48 to the Patchbay?
« on: December 20, 2022, 08:23:31 AM »
Hi,

I am wondering how I can access the Signal from the Direct out Buttons from Channel 33-48?
Couldn't find any Info in the Service Manual. Only Grp Out 1-32 are wired to my (external) Patchbay.
Do I overlook something?
There is also no Documentation about the upper Buscard in my Manuals (Both E & G. Only a Component Layout).

Thanks!

Tlmaen

Richealey

• Nashville, TN
Re: How to connect Direct out 33-48 to the Patchbay?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 01:39:00 PM »
My console is a 1995 8k so I’m not sure if this will really relate to your old E.
The Group outputs from my console are fed from connector G under the upper buss card.
2 channels per connector so there should be 4 G connectors per bucket.
See if your existing Group out connector wires– Tushel I believe – have wire labels.
Mine are all labeled G1, G2, - G24 etc.  You may find that the last 2 buckets have nothing
plugged into the G connectors or find the Tushel they are fed to.
My console was on an MTV truck and the remote patchbay layout looked nothing like a studio
would use. I did not get the detailed spec book that is usually supplied with a console. There was a very detailed wiring book generated by whoever did the install for MTV. Unfortunately, if MTV didn’t use
outputs or ins on the console they were not mentioned in the wiring detail. I had to do a fair bit of following wires but finally got a handle on the consoles wiring. I discovered that the wire label letter
relates to the connector under the upper buss card and relates to the row that signal appears on the patchbay. B being Mic Inputs, D being Line Inputs. Very clever.
I hope this helps.
Richard

tlmaen

• Hamburg, Germany
Re: How to connect Direct out 33-48 to the Patchbay?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »
Thanks Richard!

The Group Out Row is already wired from the external patch to the Tuchel Connectors at the Console, but they are terminated with Mults.
So I just have to make a few Cables from the upper Buscard to the Tuchels underneath the Console.

FYI
Connectors and receptacle Pins are originally BICC Burndy.
The Connector I ordered is from Souriau-Sunbank/Eaton and is called SMS6P1.
The Receptacle Pins are SC24ML1D70, both are from Farnell.

Merry Christmas to you all!

tlmaen