Author Topic: 651 Extender issues  (Read 380 times)

mike_signo

• London
    • Signorini Audio Devices
651 Extender issues
« on: February 25, 2024, 01:35:52 AM »
Hello,
Today I was doing some work on the centre section of a 6000 troubleshooting a fault with the monitoring system.
Despite making sure that it was the correct extender card facing the correct way (I checked with a multimeter pin by pin) I encountered a lot of issues when using the extender card (Card 82154 / 82E24).
Everytime I used the extender it was magic smoke from the protection resistors but when I plugged it directly into the console I had 0 problems.

Has anyone encountered this issue?
What did I do wrong?

radardoug2

• New Zealand
Re: 651 Extender issues
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 08:53:26 PM »
So card the right way round when plugged into the extender? The smoke indicates a short. So a fault on the extender card or a short when all plugged together.

Loopzilla5

• NYC
    • My Page Of Love
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 01:54:57 AM »
Sorry to ask, but are you using the dedicated 24 card extender?

There's a separate extender for each master section card. You probably know this of course, just asking...

Please forgive me if this is obvious. :/

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 03:08:05 AM »
The extender cards are unique and keyed, however the edge connector card can accept any 651 card in any orientation.
Also it is possible to reverse the ribbon cables.

Photos help.

mike_signo

• London
    • Signorini Audio Devices
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 06:11:13 PM »
I perfectly understand all your questions because it sounds like something due to a user mistake.
That really surprised me because I checked multiple times that the orientation was correct, that the correct extender card was used, and that the 651 card was oriented the correct way in the edge connector.
I checked for continuity but at this point, I think there might be a short on the extender itself.
I'm looking into making a new set of extenders because the ones I have access to are very beat up.

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 09:13:59 PM »
Put it all together with no voltage on, and multimeter it for shorts. Also multi the card by itself. Use the smoke to focus on those tracks.