Author Topic: REPLYING TO POSTS  (Read 2502 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
REPLYING TO POSTS
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »
As this site gets more posts and replies, I thought I would suggest something to hopefully make it easier for people to find what they are looking for.

As people reply to a question, the thread may move on from the original post to different subjects which may be useful to other readers. It could be that the original post person acknowledges any direct answers and then writes a different question in the same reply which invites other and possibly newer responses.

If that is the case, I would suggest that the person responding to this new question doesn't just have the same message in the title box but a different one directly relating to the new question. As an example:

Original post: Subject: Main outputs.
Replies have "main outputs" as the subject header … fair enough so far.

Original post person writes "thanks etc" and then mentions a new topic (without writing a new post). The new topic could be aux sends as an example.
New replies to this change of topic could now have "aux sends" as the subject heading rather than "main outputs" as the thread has moved on.

This way, viewers don't have to wade through loads of replies to find what they are looking for. They can search for "main outputs" or "aux sends" Otherwise, they may look through all the replies to the original post to find anything on aux sends if they even know that someone has written about aux sends as a follow on from the original post. They would probably find this new subject by accident only after spending many minutes reading all the threads.

I hope this makes sense but it is something I have encountered on numerous sites and it may make searching for an answer easier and quicker in future.

So, I suggest don't just put the original post heading in your reply when responding to a different question as the thread may develop and could change the subject matter concerned. Therefore, enter a new heading instead.

A classic example of what I'm talking about is the post starting 6048e. Most of the replies just have 6048e in the title box but the 2 pages of replies so far (Sept 2012) refer to 6048e without any more description. When a new reply is sent using my suggestion, a viewer can easily see what the subject is from the main menu summary rather than just another reply relating to 6048e. The original post now has a new thread relating to the 621 Producers Panel. I replied to that new topic with Producer Panel mentioned in the title box and not just 6048e.