Author Topic: Axiom MT+ specifications  (Read 5987 times)

boxhowto

Axiom MT+ specifications
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:44:07 PM »
Hi all,

first of all i would like to say that i'm very happy to see a serious forum on the Net about SSL products. I'm fed up with comments on other forums from users that don't even know what they are talking about. I was planning to buy an Axiom MT+ but it seems that these desk is not considered by users as a good one.

I tried to find informations on the net about the Axiom (MT+ version especially) like user guide, manual but nothing at all. :-\ :'(

I would like to know some other informations about these desk such as:

- Is it true that Axiom are no longer supported by SSL so spare don't even exist (internet sources).
- Someone told me that maintenance and servicing is quite prohibitive on the Axiom. Is it true ? (internet source)
- I read on Gearslutz's forum that Axiom is the worst sounding SSL's desk ever. Does someone own one and could give me his feedback ?
- Practical but important information for me if i buy an Axiom: what is the electrical consumption ? I do not want to forget anything as much as possible :)

In advance thank you very much for your help and long life to this forum ! :)

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Axiom MT+ specifications
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
Hi boxhowto,
first of all thank you for the kind words, we all feel the same: serious and passionate people is what we all are in this forum, so welcome  and enjoy!

I have had the "pleasure" to work on an Aysis not long ago and for the life of me I could not get past the boot up sequence, I have had to call an expert to go into the DOS configuration to even get the computer to start properly.
once the beast was up and running I could really appreciate all the features and the versatility of it, a brilliant brilliant piece of kit.
the Axiom is nothing but the music version of this desk, they share same control surface,same architecture and same computer plus I/O modules (RIO grande, CPU, mic preamps and so on so forth..)

I cannot comment on the sound as I have not used for any production,but in terms of servicing and spare parts it is unfortunately  a dead end....
the only viable way would be to purchase a fully working one and then gather as many spare parts as you possibly can but again, SSL don't support it unless you sign a support contract with them...

anyway keep us posted on this,  I have just uploaded an overview manual  (all I have) on the forum, here is the link:

http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=776.0

Mattia.

EDIT:
I found a couple more PDfs which I have uploaded and they are in the thread above!

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the family!

Here goes my 2 cents...

All modern equipment based in modern electronics is hard to maintain if not supported by the manufacturer. Usually this is only done by resorting to a parts replacement or very specific fixes (ex: mechanical parts). Much like a computer motherboard, if you have a problem the manufacturer just replaces it.

This doesn't happen much with the old SSLs 4,6 and 8k because these were much based on throughole technology and not SMD, also were thought as a longterm maintaining equipment (back then it was usual when SSL sold a new console it would also sell/train a technician for local support). The problem with SMD tecnology is not only due the added difficulty to maintain, but also because technology evolves and many old special-purpose SMD chips manufactured back then are not today, and without direct replacement. This rarely happens with through-hole technology, specially because SSL designed those consoles using very basic and standard components which endured the test of time and always have its use in day-to-day electronics.

Without assured long term support from the manufacturer I would not invest in a console such as that one. A know a few people who went that line and today have a 1/2 working console... only to become 1/3 working console very soon. ;)

Cheers,

Artur

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:48:50 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

boxhowto

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »
Hi guys,

first of all, thank you very much for your precious advices. It will be more easy for me now to make a decision knowing differents between old and new gears from SSL. A few months ago i thought Axiom will be a good choice also because it's an analogue desk digitally controlled so with a minimum servicing and maybe less craps with pots or other things like that.

But now, and according with your opinions, I think I'll reconsider my decision and certainly point me to something more "root" to appreciate over time my future mixing desk. Budget will have to more for sure more important because SSL desk (full analogue) cost more than 40000€ (and i don't know if for the price, i won't have some servicing to do and other thousands of Euros to spend).

A big thanks to you guys !! :)

PS: Grazie mille a te Mattia per il tuo aiuto ed anche per i 3 files che hai lasciato sulla dropbox.