Author Topic: BBC Mobile 4k studio  (Read 2170 times)

amillar

• United Kingdom
BBC Mobile 4k studio
« on: October 22, 2019, 10:46:20 PM »
Whilst looking through my old photos last night I came across these from 1986, one of the only two complete studio installations SSL did at that time - The BBC Transcription Unit TRV2 mobile studio.

I took these while we were commissioning the desk at the old Witney factory. My main memory is of trying to set up the dynamics cards under those blessed spotlights - because the diodes on the 10 card are light sensitive we'd set them up on the 611 extender and when we put them back in the desk the setup was all over the place! Gorgeous vehicle though.

More info at
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Archive-Studio-Sound-IDX/IDX/80s/Studio-Sound-1989-08-OCR-Page-0055.pdf
and
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Archive-Studio-Sound-IDX/IDX/80s/Studio-Sound-1989-08-OCR-Page-0056.pdf

Enjoy!

Andy
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:53:08 PM by amillar »
co-designer and project manager G series analogue 1987
channel strip designer J series 1992-93
design "caretaker" 4000/6000 1985-93
analogue team leader ARC/Bertha 1988-92

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: BBC Mobile 4k studio
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:00:46 PM »
Hi Andy

Ta for the pictures of the BBC TRV SSL mobile truck which bring back memories.

I think the BBC had 5-6 trucks (3, 4, 5, 6, TRV and maybe another one.). The first one I worked on was number 3 which was the Live Aid truck about 1981 and it was parked at Stonesfield by the test room as were some of the others afterwards. I modified the remote patch and also worked underneath the console and remember it was the first (and hopefully the last) time I worked 40 hours without stopping.

Brian Bensley, my boss at SSL at the time, came into the truck at 7am to find me underneath the connector panel soldering stuff (must have been 24 channel Tuchel connectors) upside down with a light on and trying to avoid solder dripping onto me. I was so tired and later that day I went home but was actually quite active as I had gone past my sleep mode timing and the body chemicals seemed to kick in to keep me awake for longer.

Anyway, SSL learned a lesson with those first few trucks and after that, they constructed the frame with 8 channel buckets and not  16-24 modules in one go to add to the rigidity of the frame. Also various 19" units like power supplies and computer racks etc were secured at the back as well as the front due to the truck being driven and the vibrations resulting from that. Lock tight nuts were also fitted for the same reason.

amillar

• United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:26:50 PM »
Oh gosh...that reminds of when Paul McCartney's desk was due to be collected the next day, and I was just about to go home and for some reason decided to have peek into its test room (in Witney again) and have quick look at it - I must have been suspicious for some reason - and found it had a few...problems. The only thing to do was, as you say, just stay on and fix it - you know that weird feeling at 4:00am when everything happens veeerrryyyy sloooowwwly. We did work some stupid hours in them days!

And catching a few hours sleep on the floor of the old final test room up the road at Stonesfield, using a console cover as a mattress, during the SWF radio customer acceptance. Amongst the smell of springer spaniel, special brew, and that awful toasted sandwich maker...

Colin was remarkably good at making us feel like it was worth it!

Was it that the other TRVs were built by the BBC and we just fitted the desk, whereas TRV 2 we fitted out (or at least manged) the whole installation? I know Stewart Taylor was brought in from the BBC to head up an installation business, but the only two pieces of work he actually headed up (before he was moved to sort out R&D) was TRV2 and BBC Bristol Christchurch - which was an absolutely fantastic installation.

I'd forgotten about those Tuchel connectors :(

Cheers,

Andy

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 11:37:37 AM »
Andy and Jim, we would all like to thank you for this wonderful content. :)

Please keep it flowing, if you have time :)

The forum is now the history book, the intention beyond supporting the community, is to gather as much information in one place, ..the 4k will out live us all!

amillar

• United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 05:11:07 PM »
I've just found Jim's wonderful history of the very early days (before my time!) Found it by accident while I was trying to desperately remember what Colin Bateman's (springer spaniels / special brew / toasted sandwich maker / great guy) surname was... Hope you don't mind me putting the link here Jim!

Note from Jim Lassen. Hi Andy. Ta for your comments but I have deleted your reference to my Website notes for now only because I haven't finished it yet as it was just up to 1980 and no where near finished or edited. I will complete it at some point but it will take some time at this rate as it will be my complete wiring history to date and be a long read (maybe not all applicable for this website as it involves many other consoles and would need a new and different topic).

By the way, have you communicated with Andy Henderson (Sintech on here) yet as I think you could have various SSL issues to discuss (me knowing him and you and therefore a good idea I think)? Maybe a meeting of minds to discuss new ideas and solutions for SSL and other products perhaps as you are both dynamic people and keen on SSL type stuff?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:20:17 AM by jimlfixit »