Author Topic: 4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE  (Read 53101 times)

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
Re: 4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »
this is really about the "ugly little secret" that power supplies and distribution can make a huge difference in audio performance in equipment.

I don't care what technology is used, if the end product has lower noise, lower impedance across wider bandwidth (yes, power supplies have bandwidth) and better regulation, then, yes, it will sound better!

Today's resources can be used to build power supplies that are a superior product than that which has come before. It appears that Norm has successfully done that and we can reap the benefits. I hope to persuade one of my clients with SSL's to convert.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

neumann25

« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:11 AM »
this is really about the "ugly little secret" that power supplies and distribution can make a huge difference in audio performance in equipment.

I don't care what technology is used, if the end product has lower noise, lower impedance across wider bandwidth (yes, power supplies have bandwidth) and better regulation, then, yes, it will sound better!

Today's resources can be used to build power supplies that are a superior product than that which has come before. It appears that Norm has successfully done that and we can reap the benefits. I hope to persuade one of my clients with SSL's to convert.

Alan

Not that simple.. Sometimes a original power supply will be part of the personality of the gear its driving.. changing the supply might make the system cleaner, but that might not be favorable

makeitwork

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »
Hello all-

happy to report that Bob Clearmountain just took delivery of his Atomic S2 a few days ago, and here's what he sent us-

"Been running it and mixing all afternoon... hard to tell without a proper A/B test, but it certainly sounds really good, if not better"

Yes, we're geeking the fuck out.

I also just got video from Joel Hamilton at Studio G in Brooklyn... we'll be posting this soon- a real-time A/B test in his mix room-

"It just seems to have more- at the bottom.. and the transient response... it's wider too- i don't know why. Without a doubt- there's just more extension at both ends"

we'll be updating the Facebook page as we get more feedback from users, as well as some short videos explaining the how & why. The website will also soon have a chart of power savings across the different countries.

as always- any questions, please email me at info@atomicinstrument.com

https://www.facebook.com/atomicinstrument

thanks!
-Reid

makeitwork

« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2014, 07:33:10 PM »
Bob just added-

"It all sounds great, but I was really hoping it would make the vocals more in tune and the lyrics less stupid, but no luck there. Maybe the Mark II version?

-Clearmountain"

too funny not to share.

-Reid

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »
Hi Reid,

Congratulations! This is a great asset for the credibility of the Atomic! If one wasn't yet a believer, then now with Bob's testimony there's really no doubt of the great work you guys have done.

By the way, any news when the Atomic will be available for Europe?

Cheers,

Artur

makeitwork

« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
Thanks Artur!

there's several Atomics running in Europe right now, actually.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
But do you have already a dealer in Europe or at this stage you're just importing it?

makeitwork

« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
Artur- no dealer yet. We're working on that, but since we're such a small company, at this point it's easier and faster to import them.

Please know that all of these supplies are built & tested by hand. Nothing is mass-produced. Filters are tuned for specific desk sizes also.

We've worked very hard on shipping costs and gotten them down to very reasonable amounts- usually about $225USD or less for most of the EU.

-=Reid

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2014, 07:36:01 PM »
I wonder if you guys ever thought of developing one power supply that would be able to power up both the console and the automation computer. I am not sure if it's doable. Thanks.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2014, 06:46:55 PM »
not a good idea.

digital crap is not wanted in an analogue world!

Much easier to keep control noises isolated from sensitive areas of the board by being TOTALLY isolated.

Thats not to say a new psu wouldn't be interesting, but really a new COMPUTER would be more interesting.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »
You definitely have a point. A new computer would be a much better idea.

PelleG

• Stockholm, Sweden
    • Automan
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
A new computer would be sweet ... oh, I forgot. I have a new computer. :-)