Author Topic: Setting Up SSL 4k In Apartment?  (Read 2655 times)

Johnny

Setting Up SSL 4k In Apartment?
« on: September 11, 2016, 01:31:57 AM »
Hi, New to the forum and I had a question about setting up an SSL 4k in an apartment.

I plan on purchasing an SSL 4k soon when I move to los angeles, I've seen people with cut down versions of 4k's in their apartment without a problem. The thing is I want a full 4048 and I know these models breaks down into 2 peaces (when decommissioning). My only question is do you think a 4k SSL broken down into 2 pieces would fit into a standard size elevator?

I know this kind of comes off a dumb question but I was hoping someone has had experience transporting SSL's.

The reason I need to know this is if the 4k broken down won't fit into a standard size elevator, my only option would be to move into a place that has freight elevators but this will significantly narrow my options as far as finding a decent place but at the end of the day if that's my only option then so be it.

Best Regards,
-John

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: Setting Up SSL 4k In Apartment?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:08:27 AM »
Moved my console up a fight of stairs one bucket at a time :-) So nothings impossible!

If you remove modules, then divide into manageable segments, you'll have no problem at all.

Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »
A 'Dolly trolly' works well to move the buckets.  Channels should be removed first.

Have you considered a sidecar consisting of a couple of buckets rather than a full 4k?, if you can live for a while without the benefits of bus/master section/computer then you get a very compact system which is far simpler to transport, power and maintain.

Johnny

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply's guy's, that's good to know as I would really prefer to have my setup in an apartment as opposed to a loft.

As far as the sidecar/cut down version of the 4k, I did think about that but my understanding of the 4k (as well as other Analog consoles) is that they have an accumulative effect. Meaning the more channels you have and the more instruments running through those channels, the more of that MOJO you get. Plus with all the new enhancements for the SSL such as the Atomic Power Supply's, THD Labs Computer, 10uF Caps, etc... It would essential be live having a modernized console so i felt that there was no need to cut the console down as I don't really plan on moving it except when im ready to purchase a home.

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:33:50 AM »
I see (at least) one problem with this: The wiring loom running across all the buckets to the patchbay. That is what will prevent you from just cutting it down to single buckets. We did not even dare to split it in two halfs just because of that and rather removed a wall in the studio to get it into the control room. Also think about where to put power supplies(s) and maybe the computer (if you want to use it). And what about connections? The 4k has DL (or sometimes EDAC) industrial multipin connectors and you'll need custom wiring to hook it up to your gear. This is really not Mackie 8-bus plug&play. No offense, great board on its own.
If you don't know to much about the 4k, you should get yourself a tech or really get into the details of the desk. If you have the money, you could buy an overhauled desk from a dealer and let him do the commisioning.
If you want it, you can do it. But it will be a venture and it won't be cheap.

Johnny

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:25:38 PM »
I see (at least) one problem with this: The wiring loom running across all the buckets to the patchbay. That is what will prevent you from just cutting it down to single buckets. We did not even dare to split it in two halfs just because of that and rather removed a wall in the studio to get it into the control room. Also think about where to put power supplies(s) and maybe the computer (if you want to use it). And what about connections? The 4k has DL (or sometimes EDAC) industrial multipin connectors and you'll need custom wiring to hook it up to your gear. This is really not Mackie 8-bus plug&play. No offense, great board on its own.
If you don't know to much about the 4k, you should get yourself a tech or really get into the details of the desk. If you have the money, you could buy an overhauled desk from a dealer and let him do the commisioning.
If you want it, you can do it. But it will be a venture and it won't be cheap.

You make some excellent points Star and I'll address them all.

1) As far as the decommissioning process goes I personally won't be dealing with it. I plan on contacting Bruce at desk doctors when i'm ready as he is the go to guy for everything SSL in LA. Now as far as decommissioning, I originally planned on breaking the board down into 2 pieces as shown in this video (this is not my video, just found it randomly on youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dssRbLo9MVI
This is why I originally made this thread, I wanted to know if half of the SSL would fit into a standard size elevator as I did not want to break it down into buckets.

2) As far as the power supplies goes, I plan on using Atomic Instruments power supplies which is more modern and don't require the "perfect" cooling environment like the original power supplies did. The same thing goes for the computer as well, I plan on using the THD labs computer and not the computer that comes with the board. The place I plan on moving into has 2 master bedrooms with walk in closets which I think has AC (this I'll need to find out) but assuming that it does, I'll use it as a machine room.

3) As far as the connections are concerned i'm sure Bruce will be capable of getting them made or at least telling me where I need to go and get them made so i'm not too worried about that.

Yep indeed, it will be a journey and I plan on recording every bit of it and posting it online :).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:18:08 PM by Johnny »

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 02:47:17 AM »
To respond to one of the posts above...
Quotes in red:
'I see (at least) one problem with this: The wiring loom running across all the buckets to the patchbay. That is what will prevent you from just cutting it down to single buckets.'
That problem is simple to address. With a suitable de-pinning tool, you can remove the socket inserts from the 6 way Bicc connectors (after making sure that they are properly labelled...such as B21, D47 etc) and carefully pull them back and out of the console rear metalwork, keeping them safe.

'...The 4k has DL (or sometimes EDAC) industrial multipin connectors...'
The older 4 or 6K consoles normally utilised 96 way DL connectors (which I stock). The other alternative was 24 or larger Tuchel connectors (mostly for Danish Radio or perhaps the BBC) and, to the best of my knowledge (I worked at SSL 1980-87), they did not use Edac connectors on these consoles, although the 56 way version was used on the 5K console which had several pinout types (so beware).
A basic installation blank version is shown on my website under the SSL documentation menu and is also posted by me in this forum in the documentation menu as well.

'...and you'll need custom wiring to hook it up to your gear. This is really not Mackie 8-bus plug&play. No offense, great board on its own...'
Yeah, Mackie's are great as well in a different way...I have four of them! No multi connectors but full of functions and (mostly) jack connectors.

PS: Just updated my website after a few years and am now available to get back into doing any SSL studio wiring after moving premises last year. More on that in another post very soon!

perfectsnd

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 05:14:05 AM »
They split my desk in two to bring it into my room. The most time consuming part was attaching all the bic connectors on the back of the montherboards, but other than that, everything we smooth.

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
Just saw this thread. Sorry for the late reply. The youtube video in the link is my video. Just ask if you still have questions.

Our biggest part of the console is approx 2.6m (the left side with patchbay+3 buckets+centersection) but have at look at this beautiful document for calculating the exact length: http://www.recycledaudio.co.uk/images/consoles/pdfs/48_channel_console.pdf

The bigger (4048-with-patch frames and above?) consoles have a splitpoint meaning that the two heavy steel profiles which the buckets rest on can be unscrewed at a point (in our case just right of the centersection). All the bicc 6pin audio connectors and 50pin idc fader connectors and barograph cables (if not a VU console) should be removed from this part of the console and can be place in a emptied (channels taken out) bucket just left of the center section.

Cheers,
Uffe - Frostbox

RoyMixer

• NYC
    • Roy Hendrickson, Mixer/Engineer/Producer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »
Moved my console up a fight of stairs one bucket at a time :-) So nothings impossible!

If you remove modules, then divide into manageable segments, you'll have no problem at all.

Did you install your ssl in your apartment?

best

Roy