Author Topic: 4056 g computer keyboard stops giving commands to the CPU **SOLVED**  (Read 2523 times)

seedubs

So our latest bizarre problem appears to be the keyboard stops operating periodically which requires a restart and sweaty palms which seems to clear the problem up so far. I have been learning the reality of these old keyboards is that they are a key reason why these systems fail and become useless. Does anyone else have any knowlage as to why this happens and if there is anything that can be done to diagnose and repair the problem. Bruce is of the opinion that the keys get stuck in the on position thereby locking other valid commands out. This seems to make sense but it seems to fail when it is not being used. It is not like it works and suddenly stops mid command string like one would think. It just conks out mid session ? Scary and weird. Any ideas or words of hope?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:22:02 PM by Matt Sartori »

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: 4056 g computer keyboard stops giving commands to the CPU
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
Only had problems with sticking key's on the black E series keyboards.. and it's almost as you describe, but during entering a string.. and you have to exercise each key.. till you find the stuck key. :-)

If it's a G, you can transplant a remote keyboard in.. this is good as remote's are usually in good condition, and in the past I've had them almost unused.

The next is swapping out the Keyboard and VDU card.

Dan Korneff

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:47:51 PM »
Do you still see activity on your monitor from the SSL? How are you sure that the whole computer didn't lock up?

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »
I aswell start to check which key is stuck this time  :o

It also get stuck here sometimes after saving a mix for some reason

Anyway,  maybe try usual suspects first, clean keyboard, cabling...

seedubs

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 10:53:34 AM »
 I can't be sure it isn't the CPU locking up. The only way to tell might be the clock not counting down but I'm told that may not be a reliable way to tell if the CPU is hung . If there is any other way to tell what it is doing please advise and I will scrutinize its behavior.
  If anyone knows where I could find a remote keyboard to swap out please let me know. I have never seen one here in the us. Thanks!

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:53:56 AM »
Hi

See computer service manual page 2-47 regarding status led's on the back of the buss driver pcb. Open the computer back lid and look on the top row slot closest to the big cpu pcb. In short if LED "Run A" is off the computer has stalled.

Also have you tried reseating the cpu pcbs? If you do make sure visually that you get them all the way back into the edge connector. It has very high friction and therefore need a firm push to get the pcbs all the way in.

Regards,
Uffe

seedubs

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:05:56 AM »
Ok I'll give that a shot . Now it has started beeping at me every 5 min or so then randomly fixes it self and returns to normal. Cancel will also return the CPU to normal unless the keyboard stops inputting commands . The cards in the comp do slide home but with very little effort. No click or feeling of the, seating like with other cpu's I have worked with. This problem is unlike other CPU hangs I have experienced in that it responds to commands like "end" or "cancel" . Usually once a CPU hangs it requires a restart but not in this instance. Thanks for the input guys. I hope the comp isn't fried but there is a sinking suspicion that we are hosed and in need of a replacement CPU like the ssl mixed comp(any updates on that project) or the tangerine system which doesn't work for Ultimation yet or maybe never. I thought I could somehow keep it all working but these new developments are spelling doom for this venture. This sux... I could almost taste it.

Clip6

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 04:36:24 AM »
So it passed all the keyboard test. Service manual 1-50

seedubs

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 06:49:28 AM »
Yes I ran the keyboard test and got beeps and dots for all keys except the "print key".

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »
 Regarding reseating the cards it sounds excatly like our g cpu. We thought we did reseat them all the way in but by taking the mainframe out of the rack and have the top lid with the fans off we could see they were not reseated all the way in. By giving the pcbs a very firm push while wiggeling up and down they slided in a further approx 5mm. Before this the computer would run but once in a while hang and need a hard boot.

Sorry for going on about this reseating. Just want to help :)

seedubs

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 09:50:18 PM »
Headed up into the machine room as we speak to check on this. We had Bruce Millet in here a month ago and things were ok but maybe they came unseated somehow. The big difference in this case is it only stays hung for a few minutes then starts working again. Thanks for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:01:22 PM by seedubs »

seedubs

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 10:30:43 PM »
This thread is closed due to the keyboard problem cleared up after swapping the computer input cards ( see post VCA thread here). The fault in the computer i/o cards was also interfering with the computer in some way. I have also discovered from reputable sources that the "G" computer keyboards are more robust over the long term than "E" . I Hope they are correct.