Author Topic: Future SSL owner, a few questions  (Read 5139 times)

Syntho

Future SSL owner, a few questions
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:06:13 AM »
Later this year I'm going to shop for my first SSL. I know little about them. I looked for a website with a timeline of SSL models and an explanation of the differences between them but I didn't have much luck. I'll try here instead.

1) Were VU meters standard on all 4ks and the LED-type meters an option? I think I've seen more Es with the LED meters and more Gs with VU meters. I wonder how hard it would be to find a G with LED meters, or find a meterbridge by itself that I could swap.

2) Dumb question maybe, but where do you connect your XLR, TRS/TS cables? I haven't found many pics of the back of an SSL but I do remember seeing one where the entire back was plastic. Does that mean everything goes to the underside of the patchbay?

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: Future SSL owner, a few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:36:28 AM »
Hi (your name),

Welcome to the forum in the first place.

We all have somehow gone through the same process you're going now. The most important advice I can give you is for you to inform as best as possible so you don't have surprises... And even so you should expect some surprises, the kind that which will cost you money. Save some budget for these ones.

Regarding your questions,

Those meters you refer as "LED-type", they aren't LED but rather Plasma meters. SSL used this technology and in later 5000/8000 consoles you could also find some LCD meters (not so common).

VU meters and Plasma meters were an optional at purchase time, so you choose either one setup when you were buying it from SSL. One consideration is that Plasma meters increase greatly the power consumption (extra 250v power rail), dissipation requirements and maintenance cost. Plasma meters replacements don't exist anymore and you need to resort to used/2nd hand units which nowadays can cost between 150-250 euros each (tendency to go upper). Plasmas will die eventually with age. Whatever is your choice of metering, you need to find the console you want with this metering already installed, don't even think of changing it afterwards as this would be super expensive (parts + work).

The SSLs don't have any XLR or TRS/TS cables, instead all connections are done via DL connectors under the patchbay (there is a connectors panel underneath it). The high density of the inputs/outputs wouldn't allow for use of such connectors in such a small space. DL connectors are more reliable (aviation standard) and compact, each connector can handle up to 32 balanced channels IIRC, although typically each DL is wired with 24 channels, where 2 x DL connectors covering completely a 48 point patchbay.

I hope this helps you,

Cheers,

Artur
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:40:58 AM by Artur D'Assumpção »

Syntho

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2150/2536486658_c656c200fb_b.jpg

These are plasma? Didn't realize that. I found a document http://www.recycledaudio.co.uk/images/consoles/pdfs/metering.pdf which says there are VU meters, PPM meters and Plasma meters. I guess the PPM vertical meters are Plasma, but there's also an additional Bargraph (Plasma) that lets you look at the stereo spectrum or something. Right?

I'm looking for a picture of the DL connectors. Those are basically ELCO/EDAC connectors right? I'm wondering how most get around this. I imagine people either just have a bunch of new snakes made where it goes from a DL connector directly to the gear... or maybe people build somewhat of a DL patchbay thing where the TS/TRS/XLRs are all plugged into it, then just run DL to DL into the SSL patchbay.

My other question was about maintenance. Is it common for new SSL owners to pay for a tech to fly out to where the console is and get them recommissioned? I can't see any one person doing it all himself.

I'm only used to standard 32ch semi-pro mixers as you can see so that explains my ignorance  ;D I saved and saved for an SSL though, so it's gonna happen this year hopefully.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 04:10:24 PM »
Yes those are plasmas meters (which have PPM ballistics). Regarding VU meters the yellow background ones are standard VU ballistics, while is also common to find on the console center section also a pair of VU quasi-PPM ballistics, with black background.

Some SSL consoles (G and G+ consoles) came equipped with a phase scope on the center section. You can find two versions,

- being one and older version by NTP - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/vhIAAOSwNSxVCdGO/$_1.JPG
- the other later version by DK Audio - http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/201488734715_/Solid-State-Logic-SSL-Console-Phase-Scope-MSD.jpg

Yes the DL connectors are ELCO/EDAC. Depending on what you are connecting, usually you have these on big snakes connecting directly to outboard gear and break out panels in the studio/live room to connect gear.

Where are you located?

Cheers,

Artur
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:41:32 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

Syntho

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
My domicile is in Texas, USA but I'm away for work at the moment. I'll actually be relocating to the northern part of the USA soon but not sure where yet.

I'm probably going to have to get a freight company ship it when I buy it. I was thinking that I'll either have a tech recommission it before having it shipped or just work something out with one after it's in my possession. Not sure what you guys do but I've read in the past that some people fly someone out when necessary.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »
Yes that's right, you can always fly a tech either do decommission, recommission or both! ;)

What I would do in my personal opinion is to find a suitable tech which can assist you in both places: - inspect the console before you purchase it; do the decommission and the recommission on the destination. Inform yourself of prices and it's important to know beforehand (preferably before purchasing it) exactly what the console will be needing to put it up to spec and working on the target studio. Sometimes the amount of work it needs can result in a very expensive bill, specially if you're hiring a tech to do all the work.

Go to the technician directory, you might find there a good reference: http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php/board,7.0.html

good luck!

Cheers,

Artur

Syntho

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:37 PM »
Decommission? I guess that's taking everything apart and testing  :)

I've got a while so in the meantime I'll exhaust the forum and start getting some additional pieces I'll need for it. DL snakes and so on.

Thanks for the help!

BN1studio

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:43:22 PM »
The white-on-black meters are usually BBC-spec PPMs. They are, IMHO, a better option that either VUs or plasmas but I'll admit they're an acquired taste

PPM 4 = 0 VU and each increment is 4 dB. PPMs are driven to peaks via an amplifier card and have a very fast attack and slow decay so they are easily readable

All three meter types were available but most, I think, had VUs

I've never seen two identical consoles. Frame sizes vary, some had one producer table, some two and some none. Patchbays were normally in the console but remote patch was an option

I liked remote patch bays - a 48-channel 4000E with remote patchbay and no tables was nice & compact

Nick Froome

xmax

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »
DL and Edac/Elco are 2 completely different types of connectors and do NOT mate.
Every SSL I have worked with (probably 20 or so) used DL style connectors.
In almost all cases the desk will come with a internal or external patch bay.
The patch bay "half-normals" the DL's to the inputs and outputs.
So all outboard gear and recorders need XLR or DB25 to DL snakes.

Lots of things need to be disconnected and reconnected, larger desks often
need to be split in 2 pieces to be moved. So generally it is a good idea to
have a tech commission the desk. N
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:32:12 PM by xmax »

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
+1 on what Norm just said re connectors.

also SSL's can come with either DL or ELCO, as usual "it depends".
Personally I prefer ELCO, but that is a personal preference, both work well.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »
SSL consoles always defaulted to 96 way DL connectors (which I supply if you need any...see advert in the sell/buy menu).
Anyway, some clients such as the BBC or Danish radio specified other connectors, mostly 24 (or 30?) way Tuchel's which took up loads of room on a connector panel.
DL's are great as they have 32 balanced circuits in the same footprint on the panel as a 90 way Edac (which can only house 30 circuits!).
DL's are much more expensive but use non friction mating between the pins, unlike Edacs (or Elco's). As a result, they can be used as multiway patchcords unlike Edacs, due to their ability to connect many times. With Edacs, using friction mating, there is a danger of the pins going out of shape or pushing back into the connector.
Thus, DL's are more reliable with being connected many times but more expensive and delicate. Edac's are cheaper, good for a one off connection and are arguably more robust.