Author Topic: New Automation system for the SSL 4k/6k/8k  (Read 4331 times)

THD-Labs

• Montreal
    • www.thd-labs.com
New Automation system for the SSL 4k/6k/8k
« on: January 19, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »
THD Labs has designed a new automation system for your SSL 4k/6k/8k, the Tangerine Automation Interface (TAI). The Tangerine Automation Interface gives you the ability to use popular DAWs with a MAC/PC to replace the old SSL automation computer. The Tangerine Automation Interface bi-directionally links your SSL 4k/6k/8k faders, mutes, automation status switches and the SSL VCAs to your MAC/PC computer. The connection is done on the SSL side with the 50pins "faders" flat cables and with a USB2 connection on the computer side. You can now remove your old SSL computer and start to use the Tangerine Automation Interface !

The ''TAI'' has been designed and optimized to work with ProTools. Our system gives you the ability to do up to 96 tracks of automation in Protools by using bank slide. Alternately, mix engineers can use our "customized for automation" version of REAPER (the licence is included in the package). It replaces the SSL automation software, working in sync with Protools (or any audio source) via midi timecode.  This solution still offers the best of a DAW work flow, in a graphical "volume envelope" mode that can be easily edited, or in a "mouse less" workflow, where everything is done from the console. We would call this our "legacy mode..."

The main advantages of using the Tangerine Automation Interface are the following:
•   Simplified File/project management, as it uses your computer and DAW file format and storage.
•   The potential savings you will make by reducing the power consumption, as our power supply draws only 34 watts instead of the 600+ watts used by the old computer, this might end up in considerable savings on your electricity bill !
•   Minimized/easy learning curve.  The TAI can easily be used by either experiences or less experienced engineers. 
•   Easy project migration from Protools ITB (if the client comes in with a "premix") to OTB/SSL mixes, as mixes made in Protools can directly be played back in the SSL as the volumes match are exact.

THD Labs has also designed two options that can be added to the system in order to optimize your workflow :
- Recall-IT Option: offers the same functions has SSL's Total Recall but with the added benefits of "intranet/web" access on any devices on your local cat5/WIFI network
- Touch screen LCD Option: gives centralized remote access to the DAW transport, automation modes, session management, Recall-it, and configuration modes.

Because customer satisfaction is the main priority of THD Labs, we give a full warranty of 5 years. THD Labs will also give you free upgrades in order to ensure that you always benefit from our latest technology !

We want to ear from you and will respond to inquires regarding any information that we can give, including: Pricing, features, models, options and configuration of the system.

You can also visit our website www.thd-labs.com in you want to get additional information about our products. We will update the website with news, tutorial videos and technical support information.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about this new product.

Simon Desjardins
THD Labs
1-866-344-0880
info@thd-labs.com
The Tangerine Team
Automating SSLs since 2016.
Website • Shop • Youtube • Facebook

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
Re: New Automation system for the SSL 4k/6k/8k
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:03:58 PM »
Looks cool! It would be nice to see or hear from someone using this in an actual mixing session in order to check out the workflow.  Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm strangely addicted to the simple workings of the original system, although it could burst into flames at any moment. Would also be nice to see a vid of the recall and touchscreen in a working situation. Can't live without it…

James

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »
+1 for workflow.. the original system is so simple it's a million times faster than automation in Pro Tools.

Personally I move the DAW out of sight and work from the Cue List and transport/Keyboard, and can typically automate the track in two passes, with a few roll backs to punch sections.

THD-Labs

• Montreal
    • www.thd-labs.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:14:40 PM »
Looks cool! It would be nice to see or hear from someone using this in an actual mixing session in order to check out the workflow.  Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm strangely addicted to the simple workings of the original system, although it could burst into flames at any moment. Would also be nice to see a vid of the recall and touchscreen in a working situation. Can't live without it…

James

Hello James,

we are currently working on a video that will demonstrate how to use our Automation Interface in a live mixing session.

We will post the video on this thread as soon as it we be ready.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions.

Thank you and best regards,

Simon Desjardins
THD Labs
info@thd-labs.com
1-866-344-0880
The Tangerine Team

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:32:26 AM »
Cool. I look forward to seeing indepth vids.

THD-Labs

• Montreal
    • www.thd-labs.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:52 PM »
Cool. I look forward to seeing indepth vids.

Hello Guys,

please check our new promotional video on youtube to have more info on our product !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOGUsJqPVI

The Tangerine Automation Interface is available all across North America & Europe, do not hesitate to contact us to get a quote !

Cheers !
The Tangerine Automation Interface team
1-866-344-0880
The Tangerine Team

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »

James

Hello James,

we are currently working on a video that will demonstrate how to use our Automation Interface in a live mixing session.

We will post the video on this thread as soon as it we be ready.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions.

Thank you and best regards,

Simon Desjardins
THD Labs
info@thd-labs.com
1-866-344-0880

How much for 56 channels?

Best Regards / Mattias

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:04:06 PM »
Are there functions such as preview and auto-takeover?

Dan Korneff

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
How much for 56 channels?

I think its somewhere in the $6K range

THD-Labs

• Montreal
    • www.thd-labs.com
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 06:41:22 PM »
Hi guys,

THD Labs is glad to announce that they will be an exhibitor at the AES 141st convention in Los Angeles from September 29th to October 1st.

Come to see us at booth #826 to see live demos of the Tangerine Automation Interface and the Recall-IT option.

During the week, THD Labs will also do live demos in a private studio of Los Angeles, do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to get a private demo.

You will find hereunder a link to get your free exhibits-plus badge. Just enter the Promo code : 174
http://www.aes.org/events/141/registration/?vip=141AES174

Hope to see you guys at the show !

Simon Desjardins
The Tangerine Automation Interface team
The Tangerine Team

RoyMixer

• NYC
    • Roy Hendrickson, Mixer/Engineer/Producer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 03:32:12 AM »
+1 for workflow.. the original system is so simple it's a million times faster than automation in Pro Tools.

Personally I move the DAW out of sight and work from the Cue List and transport/Keyboard, and can typically automate the track in two passes, with a few roll backs to punch sections.

Agreed , Me too

I'm looking for options for a console that didn't come with a computer
cheers
R
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:34:25 AM by RoyMixer »

PelleG

• Stockholm, Sweden
    • Automan
New Automation system for the SSL 4k/6k/8k
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 11:22:38 PM »
Hmm... I believe you can use any of the current systems with any of the 4/6/8K consoles.

Regardless of how they came.

Both THD and Automan .. or the original computer for that matter.

..so. With the love of the ancient workflow in mind. Did the Dramastic system ever see the light?

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 09:44:05 PM »
I dont know anything about building these things and what difficulties it might be, but simply a replacement? 1:1   I guess its hard?

PelleG

• Stockholm, Sweden
    • Automan
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 01:09:44 AM »
If you know electronics and coding it's not really that hard. But, it takes an awful lot of time.

I think most developers start a thing like this from an idea seen from his/her own viewpoint. Not by demand.

Clip6

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »
What's up Pelle. 8) What's going on with your system? I've not seen any new videos on your YouTube channel? Did you finish the LCD screen?