Author Topic: CLA routing question on SSL  (Read 1513 times)

madmuso

CLA routing question on SSL
« on: August 06, 2022, 03:16:42 AM »
Hello everyone,

Its been a very long time since I last visited here. Nice to see its still all happening in here. Im not sure which area to post this so if its not correct can the moderator kindly move it to where they like. Thankyou.

I have left this question im about to post here on the related youtube vids but no one can seem to answer it, so I figured someone here might be able to shed some light and clear up my confusion.

Waves did a vid series with CLA called mixing with depth, on the 2nd episode at the 7 minute mark, CLA explains the routing/matrixing of his FX setup.
Going by the video, it seems every send on every instrument/vocal channel is active and sending to the FX units. In episode 3, He then demonstrates that he will change the balance and automate the FX return faders throughout the song. If you watch the video, he solos the vocals, then brings up any FX return faders and sure enough the vocals become effected, again ANY fx return fader he brings up reacts to the vocal, confirming that the vocals are going to every fx unit not just dedicated vocal FX units.
Then he solos the drums, same thing, ANY fx return he brings up effects the drums. The part I dont understand is, if all channels and going to all fx units, then how can you balance the fx returns for the vocals without it disrupting the fx returns balance for the drums, or any other instrument for that matter. I just dont get it. His sends are set and forget too. I'm missing something and the penny just isn't dropping for me. Its doing my head in!
Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Below is a link to the 2nd episode, at 7 minutes is where he discusses the FX routing etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpu0iYekrJY

Episode 3 here, where he actually demonstrates it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc0xm7pyTKw

Regards,

madmuso

Clip6

Re: CLA routing question on SSL
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 04:07:17 AM »
Hey.
All efx faders are outputs. He has lots of efx so he can spread it out. The automation does the magic.
If you have a chance watch mix with the masters and all your questions will be answered.

madmuso

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 10:59:00 PM »
Really? Did you watch the 2nd episode at the 7 minute mark? It seems like the 1st bucket of large faders are definitely FX returns not outputs.

Clip6

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 11:21:43 PM »
Right you are correct. He has many effects amounts controled by the outout of the efx.
It's hard to explain everything in a forum post. I'm a console owner myself.

Ask one of your friends to borrow there mix with the master account. He tells all.