Author Topic: VIDEO: SSL Repair vs Bruce Millet!  (Read 3354 times)

James Lugo

• SSL Mixing Online
VIDEO: SSL Repair vs Bruce Millet!
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:15:53 AM »
So we had some major lightning strikes and power outages while I was working overseas and the console went down. After a bit of shipping power supplies and parts around we ended up having Bruce come out from LA and get the desk back in biz. Warning this video contains some moments of severe bummed outness but there’s a happy ending!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHbNGISpctM

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
Re: VIDEO: SSL Repair vs Bruce Millet!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »
I would suggest that you now have a GOOD electrician versed in plant protection come in and evaluate your service entrance and make recommendations and then implement them for the protection of your studio. You can't protect against all lightning strikes, but almost all problem can be averted with proper design.

Do not follow internet lore about grounding, do not use auxiliary grounds, do not run your equipment with equipment grounds lifted. All the problems that those sorts of things are supposed to "cure" leave you exposed to damage like this. The money you spent on curing the problem is better spent BEFORE the fact to make it NOT happen. Short of a direct hit on your service entrance, you should be able to survive the incident.

I worked for 25+ years as a chief engineer of major market radio stations and have dealt with this kind of installation. Its not as bad as you may think (cost wise) and will save you time and damage. You just use the industrial design products, not the ones made by virgins on moonless nights.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

James Lugo

• SSL Mixing Online
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »
Thanks so much for the tips. :)

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »
Nice watch! Seems everything worked out great in the end, Bruce seems to be a really great guy, hope you didnt suffer to much from the downtime.

I´ve blown 2 PSU´s myself, both time it happened was after coming back from vacation when the console had been shut off for 2 weeks, I had a local radio store fix them so have no clue what rectifiers was used, maybe something to look into one day.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 12:30:01 AM »
Had 2 rectifiers go in 2 of my 3 PSUs.

They've both been replaced with 50amp rectifiers. I think the spec is 25amp.

So far so good. I power up and down most days.

TOUCH WOOD!!!

Stef.

James Lugo

• SSL Mixing Online
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
Here's a great story for you guys. I called my insurance company the other day to see if I could split my yearly payment into 2 payments. While they were working it out for me on the phone I told them I was kind of tapped out cuz lightning had struck my house and blew some gear and I had to get it fixed, the lady then asks me if I made a claim. I said no, she said my gear insurance pays for it. So I call the adjuster, nicest guy, he tells me to fax him all the receipts; parts, labor, electricians, all shipping costs and Bruce's plane ticket. I do, they sent me a check for the entire cost minus a $100 deductible. I am stunned! Unbelievable! Everything covered. Yeah Music Pro Insurance. Happy ending... ;D ;D ;D

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »
Nice! Not something ya hear everyday. Definitely going to look into Music Pro.

James