Author Topic: Console Setup for Mixing  (Read 5515 times)

perfectsnd

Console Setup for Mixing
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:38:56 AM »
How do you guys setup your console for mixing? Do you use mix mode and then use the small faders for extra aux sends or additional input channels?  One thing I am trying to grasp is that if you float a large fader in mix mode you disconnect the small fader. I can from a Neotek and you could send the small fader to the L/R mix buss while using the large faders to send to groups. This was great for parallel compression.  If you use Replay mode on the SSL, the small fader will go to the L/R buss but you have to assign all your large faders to Maxtrix. So how do you guys setup for parallel compression? Can you status of the desk on an individual channel basis? How do you usually do subgrouping.

Thanks.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: Console Setup for Mixing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
Have been doing this a few different ways of late, but.. I’m small footprint, so you have to think of space saving with parallels and the like.

This is how I’m doing drums on 8 channels! In Mix Mode.

Bring my sources up on the small faders, routed to a pair of channels acting as subgroups/Drum Bus

SF 1: Kick in/out mixed (balanced and phased in PT)

SF 2: snare top/bot mixed (balanced and phased in PT)

SF 3: Rack

SF 4: Floor

SF 5: Overhead L

SF 6: Overhead R

LF 5: Hat (not in subgroup)

LF 6: Ride (not in subgroup)

LF 7&8 Drum Group with Neve 33609 across that.

As the sources are on small faders, they can be routed to the matrix:

Feed the kick to Group 1, DBX160/Pultec chain, that then returns on Large fader 1

Feed the snare to Group 2, Distressor  returning  Large fader 2

Group 3-4 is the TG1 returning  Large Fader 3-4.

All Large Faders 1-8 are grouped to VCA1 so all sources and parallels will solo together.

You have to love these consoles.. whatever you can think up is possible!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:43:06 AM by sintech »

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
I think it's awesome how you can bring a signal from DAW to the console with the small fader, then send it (via Routing Matrix or Patch) to some Outboard, but end up bringing it back to the VCA Fader on the exact same channel.
I have set up a bank of compressors on my small faders Channel 33-40, and send to them from the small faders of Channels 1-32.

For example, on my drums (which I have spread from Channel 5-16), the small fader is for the amount of parallel compression.

Try to set up a pair of SSL Channel Compressors with Short Attack (Pull the release button), Ratio 12 o'clock, Threshold 3 o'clock, Short Release. Then send different amounts of Drums with the Small Fader to this Parallel Compressor. Does really enhance my drums.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

perfectsnd

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:41:04 AM »
Any others?

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:23:41 AM »
With a 48 Ch. G-Series, I don't see myself running out of inputs. Things are a bit more tricky with 32 or less, but still manageable.

In reply to your questions:
- I'm running mix mode, using the small faders to send to several parallel compression chains that return on my bucket 33-40 (small faders)
- You can not change the status on an individual channel basis. There is a "Right Hand Side VCA to Monitors Inhibit" though that allows a split mode separating the status of channels left and right from the centre section.

BTW, can anybody elaborate on the difference between RECORD and REPLAY?

How do you guys setup your console for mixing? Do you use mix mode and then use the small faders for extra aux sends or additional input channels?  One thing I am trying to grasp is that if you float a large fader in mix mode you disconnect the small fader. I can from a Neotek and you could send the small fader to the L/R mix buss while using the large faders to send to groups. This was great for parallel compression.  If you use Replay mode on the SSL, the small fader will go to the L/R buss but you have to assign all your large faders to Maxtrix. So how do you guys setup for parallel compression? Can you status of the desk on an individual channel basis? How do you usually do subgrouping.

Thanks.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »
Replay was a fancy way that SSL developed so you could quickly change from a RECORD status to a status where you could quickly monitor your mix (the tape outputs) without having to deselect READY GROUP + READY TAPE buttons on all channels and mess with the routing matrix. With only 1 button press (REPLAY) you would have your console configured to pick up from multitrack/monitor inputs and send it via the master bus. When you click RECORD again it would recover the old console state.

Cheers,

Artur

With a 48 Ch. G-Series, I don't see myself running out of inputs. Things are a bit more tricky with 32 or less, but still manageable.

In reply to your questions:
- I'm running mix mode, using the small faders to send to several parallel compression chains that return on my bucket 33-40 (small faders)
- You can not change the status on an individual channel basis. There is a "Right Hand Side VCA to Monitors Inhibit" though that allows a split mode separating the status of channels left and right from the centre section.

BTW, can anybody elaborate on the difference between RECORD and REPLAY?

Thanks.