Author Topic: SSL 4000G 611 module(channel strip) Test Jig needed.  (Read 15479 times)

jwhmca

SSL 4000G 611 module(channel strip) Test Jig needed.
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:10:46 AM »
Hello,

I have been wanting to for a while to build one of the SL613 Test Jig. Now, it's not the channel extender. It's the thing that allowed you to power and run audio and other things through the channel strip while you were at your workbench or whatever...

Does anyone have one they would sell?

And, if anyone does have one would they being willing to post some good photos of it? I have the schematic for and could build one if I had some more information. Being that they are NLA from SSL I don't think they will care...
"It's all about being a servant."

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL test jig info
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:36 AM »
I know of the test jig you mentioned. I have some of the 23 way and blue Elma switches that were used in that black box along with other wiring parts. From memory (after working at SSL for 7 years) there was one PCB wired to the switches and connectors (possibly 6220080E1 or maybe 82E1). I think the mono module test jig was 612 and the stereo one was 613. Looking at an old SSL spec (Marcus Music, a studio in London about March 1985), the SSL part number was 720612E1 for the complete test jig with cables.

I had a 612 unit but George Gilbert has it now. He would be a good person to communicate with but, like I say to other people, he needs to make a living as well so, please don't just pick his brains for free information. Ideally, get him to build one or buy some bits from him. For the record, he was one of the senior tech guys at SSL from the early days and is extremely experienced with most SSL matters especially relating to the older 4 and 6 K consoles. He can be contacted on ggatpumbro at aol.com and he is based in Oxfordshire, UK (I left out the @ in his email address in case of spammers!).

Alternatively, Keith at Recycled Audio would probably have a test jig or know about it. He was a test engineer at SSL and now deals with console sales and spare parts.

Hope this helps a bit. If you need any other SSL type parts (cable, panels, patchbays or other wiring bits), check out my website (www.profcon.co.uk).

Good luck with your test jig from Jim Lassen (based in Bucks, UK)

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
Re: SSL 4000G 611 module(channel strip) Test Jig needed.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
Whereabouts are you mate? I have the full test jig you could borrow if you're in Australia.

Stefan.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »
I agree,
it would be great if we could see some high res pictures of the box...I'll be more than happy try and draw something that can be replicated.

Mattia.

jwhmca

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
I'm in the states!

Some hi-rez photo's is all we need then we could clone it... I certainly have the schematics and I think we all have the ability...

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL 612 test jig clone
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
I could help do some wiring on it if it helps. I probably have some of the bits here anyway. If Stefan can unscrew his jig (if you excuse the expression as it sounds a bit strange!) and take a picture of the inside, it would refresh my memory regarding some of the bits used.

I'm assuming a mono channel 612 test jig is required as I am fairly sure the version for the stereo module was a 613. You mentioned 613 in your original post but I've looked up the mono channel version from an old SSL spec and it is a 612. Can you clarify this?

The ali box should have writing on it to show which type it is. From memory, it has at least 2 x 50 way ribbon connectors, one pcb with holes in to allow the big switches to be mounted within and wired to it plus, some other stuff. Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk).

jwhmca

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
Well, I just need to hook up the main 611 module... which is mono as I understand it. So which ever one is right for that.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:00:54 AM »
Hi guys,

A bit under the gun today, I will definitely open the jig up and take some pics later on and post.

Stef.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:54:06 AM »
Here are pics of the Jig.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 03:41:34 AM »
2 more.

S

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »
The main card looks totally passive, just like the standard bus cards, that could be done point to point. The daughter card I guess makes Logic and phantom voltages from I believe to be just a bipolar input. (+/-18V) Also a mix amp, to listen to the output of the selection.

I would be pretty confident in self-etching that daughter card, have a PCB etching station, purchased from an ex-SSL guy, and double side in my sleep.

The bit that connects to the 611upper and lower is exactly the same as the extender, better to just use that if you have one.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:48:07 AM by sintech »

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
Just looking at my extender, that comes over three ribbons and not two. Same, but less connections needed. It has to be the same, so you could DIY with an extender version.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »
I have a E series diagram I would like to see a G one and do comparison, I am up to draw a connection diagram of the point to point connections so we can compare it and make ti work at the first shot.

Andy I'd love to have a daughter board PCB, let me know if I can help you somehow..
perhaps we could drag Jim into this too, he has switches and probably ribbons, connectors etc...

maybe organize a "kind of kit" ?!

Mattia.

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
if anybody decides to etch some pcbs i'd definitely take a few!!

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »
Today I got message from a guy who's working in big broadcast company. He has found test jig somewhere in their warehouses and wanted to offer it for me. I recalled this thread immediatly and told him I'll take it as I know here's people who puts it in good use. So at monday I should have two of them and the other one is reserved for jwhmca (he made a first post) in case your still intrested. If not, who ever wants it gets it. Other one I keep in my bench obviously.

Pictures and price info at monday. I belive price is not gonna be bad at all.

-Paavo
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:12:39 AM by kilmister »
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook