Author Topic: SSL 4000G 611 module(channel strip) Test Jig needed.  (Read 15478 times)

jwhmca

Re: SSL 4000G 611 module(channel strip) Test Jig needed.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »
Yes, I would love first offer. Let me know how much you need for it.
Today I got message from a guy who's working in big broadcast company. He has found test jig somewhere in their warehouses and wanted to offer it for me. I recalled this thread immediatly and told him I'll take it as I know here's people who puts it in good use. So at monday I should have two of them and the other one is reserved for jwhmca (he made a first post) in case your still intrested. If not, who ever wants it gets it. Other one I keep in my bench obviously.

Pictures and price info at monday. I belive price is not gonna be bad at all.

-Paavo
"It's all about being a servant."

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Sure thing. I'll get back at monday.

-Paavo
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL 612 mono channel test jig parts
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »
Ah, memories from way back. These pictures confirm that the test jig shown is a 612 mono version (stereo channel jig was a 613). The daughter card is an 82E80 (SSL part number 622080E1 or 2 or 3 depending on the revision if 2 or 3 even existed?). Pcb version E/F 1082 which stands for October 1982.

I recognise all the bits there, discrete components (makes a change these days!). 23 way double pole and Elma blue 12 way (or 6 x 2 way) switches (both expensive), kynar wires to switches, RS toggle switch, 3M grey ribbon connectors plus BNC's and a 5 pin din. I have most of these but Andy may have some of the 23 way switches when I gave him most of my old wiring test stuff.

If you need my help on this, let me know. It seems like there may be the know how and bits available to produce a few of these. Good luck and get back to me if you need any help chaps (www.profcon.co.uk). Jim Lassen based in Bucks, UK.

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
My belive is I'm getting 613 version and I have allready 612 in my workshop. Can 613 be used for mono channels?

-Paavo
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:30:03 PM by kilmister »

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

Subhumanrecords

• Keeping Analog Alive 2 Inches @ A Time !!
    • Nashville, TN USA
    • Subhumanaudiopro
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 05:11:12 PM »
I'd be in for one if he doesn't take it...
Myke
Keeping Analog Alive 2 Inches @ A Time !!(Plus PTHD)

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »
Ok, here we go.

What I got today opened my eyes wide open. The jig is sl613e and it looks it's never used. Edge connector has even orginal SSL tag still hanging!

Here's some pictures: (click for high rez)

So I'm gonna keep this one my self  8)
But the good news is I don't need two so I'm letting SL612E go.

And the pictures:

To be honest I don't have any clue what might be fair price for this. It's full functional but lacks power cord which is simple 4mm bananas to din5 connector.
I got the sl613e in very nice price and I like to continue good will way. Let me say shipping plus 100€? Fair enought?

I have schematics for SL613E which shows there's also a daughter card (don't remember model number) which is used to test Ultimation vca board. Does anyone have any more info about it? Picture would be great.

All the best,
Paavo

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

jwhmca

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »
Sounds good to me... I'll contact my studio owner and have him take it from there.

Thanks a ton!

Subhumanrecords

• Nashville, TN USA
    • Subhumanaudiopro
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »
I'll take it off your hands if no one jwhmca doesn't..
Thanks
Myke

jwhmca

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »
Paavo,

PM sent.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »
So is this dropping off?
I thought we were going to join forces and make a few.

anybody interested to join/help?

Mattia.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »
My vote would be to remake this, but different:

Make it compatible with top of an extender, via three ribbons, rather than two.

Can fabricate the 'mother and daughter' cards with my PCB prototype station. (maybe five or six sets)

Build a small onboard supply, giving the four voltages that way, so it's quite self-contained.

Subhumanrecords

• Nashville, TN USA
    • Subhumanaudiopro
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
I'm into helping out all I can..
Myke

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »
Quite willing to send mine over if it helps!

I would think there's someone in the UK thought already?

Stef.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL 612 test jig manufacture
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
As I stated before, I can help on this as well with any wiring if required. We all need to cover our time and bits of course. I'm not sure how the practicalities would work considering it probably involves a few people doing different tasks. If a sample was sent to someone, are they the product manager in some way and distribute various tasks to others?

A sample is needed which may need some redesign work as Sintech mentioned. It gets broken down into various tasks, PCB's are redone and loaded, metalwork needs machining, painted and labelling, bits bought, wiring done and all back to someone for testing. Then it needs to be sold bearing in mind the time and parts involved. This sounds like a suitable project headed by Andy (Sintech), once he has finished his custom SSL console!

For my part, I could see the original jig, work out the wiring, buy the bits and wire various things and do the final assembly as I have lots of fittings here as well. If 10 were constructed, they could all be sent to someone for final testing.

It can be done but these are some of the practical implications involved and it may mean quite a few deliveries between people. Also, at the end, the individual costs involved need to be incorporated so a realistic selling price can be reached. Is there a market for 5, 10 etc even at a price lower than the original SSL one. Does anyone who has one, know what they paid for it?

I've just seen a post above which mentions selling one for 100 Euros. That is extremely cheap and it will not be worth doing for that price in my view as it probably won't even cover the cost of the parts! I have a feeling that the original SSL versions were about £1,000. After seeing the pictures and having a quick rough guess, I reckon a rebuild would have to be something in the region of £300 or more to stand a chance of making it worthwhile but I may be wrong.

For this to happen, I think it needs to be lead by the demand. Find the market, see what people are prepared to pay, work out the various costs and see if it is viable. If yes, people need to pay up front so work can start. If not, walk away!

Also, bear in mind lead times on various components, most of which are old and may even not be made anymore. Also minimum order quantities may affect the viability of building new jigs. If 10 are made which use a one off of part A but the minimum order is 25, there are 15 left which need accounting for. Who takes the financial responsibility for that?

From my 7 years experience at SSL and running my own business for 25 years, these issues need to be thought about especially as any build project may be split between various people in different places. Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:11:11 PM by jimlfixit »

jwhmca

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 04:53:47 AM »
Paavo,

We sent the money for the jig. Have you sent it yet?