Author Topic: Upgraded PSU similar to Atomic S1+... any interest?  (Read 12514 times)

xmax

Re: Upgraded PSU similar to Atomic S1+... any interest?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:06 PM »
The GRS unit is NOT half the cost and in fact does LESS, look at the specs.
Atomic is coming out with a new lower cost version and a silent
model. Cheers. N  8)

PelleG

• Stockholm, Sweden
    • Automan
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 10:54:22 PM »
My heart bleeds when you're fighting like this. Let's wish for a peaceful Christmas of love and understanding.

Cheers!

analogstudio7

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2015, 03:17:25 AM »
Well thats good news. They seem to be way over priced anyway.   And I did check the specs between both systems and yes the GRS does have more protection, both AC & DC ramp up voltages and is computer controlled.

Look...I bought what I needed. I you don't like it, don;t buy it. To each his own. I went with the best choice for ME...best bang for the buck and I;m very happy about it. Again, your sour grapes attitude is really a put off man. Man up. So I didn't buy the system that YOU like. Big deal.

Can we all move on now with more important things in life. Jeeze. What a laugh.

LOL,

Movin on...

Cheers!

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
Hi guys,

I must agree with Pelle, please lets bury the hatchet on this subject. If there's is any issue regarding Atomic vs GRS, specifically regarding intellectual property copyright this should be eventually dealt on the proper channels and not the forum.

Overall I personally feel it's good to see more businesses committed in supporting the SSL, since this is our entire goal here, to support the community and having these consoles working for years to come.

I wouldn't want to see the forum members fighting each other, after all we are all here a family. As I see it,no harm or misconduct was done by any member. You're all welcome with your experiences, advises, questions, debates, discussions, differences and honesty! Please don't take me wrong...  and lets move forward.  8) ;D

¸.*‘.¸¸ . ✶*¨*. ¸ .✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨‘*✶¸.*‘.¸¸ . ✶*¨*. ¸ .✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨‘*✶
  .✫ . .★☀ Lots and lots of love sprinkles to all of you ;)! ☀★¸¸.☆
‘.¸¸ . ✶*¨*. ¸ .✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨‘*✫‘.¸¸ . ✶*¨*. ¸ .✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨‘*✫

;)

Cheers,

Artur

xmax

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
I turn sour grapes into wine. I have zero problem with GRS making psu's to help the studio
owner and add diversity to the market. What I do have a problem with is false claims people
can not stand by with proof. All prices /specs/dates I have stated are widely recognized and
have been published for years. Moving on.  8) 

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 07:58:03 PM »
I am interested in looking at the GRS psu but their website has been down for quite some time.

http://www.grssystems.com/

Although the Atomic PSU seems like a good unit, the price is just unrealistic for today's analog recording scenario.

I own an SSL 4040 E/G and a Neve 81 series, which I have been servicing for many clients for nearly 20 years, so I can definitely benefit from having a newer PSU that I know will improve the entire system and will allow me to power up/power down my board without any problems, thus keeping me away from the tech bench. The problem is that with the price tag of $5K plus for one PSU, there is a chance that we will never be able to recoup the investment as it appears that the demand for analog mixing/tracking will be non-existent in a very short period of time, at least in the NY market where my studio is based at.

Selling the consoles with the new PSU will probably add nothing to the sale value, so I think that it would be less expensive to rebuild the existing units and whenever possible buy a spare or two of the old ones, as I have with the neve, and keep them around in case of emergency.

In my opinion, New PSU's will need to be at least in the $2K range or less with all the bells and whistles in order to motivate existing console owners to invest, in return, sales numbers will drive up and the cost per unit will go down. Popularity of the company will drive up as well, thus creating an opportunity for newer product development.

In reality, before developing such systems, one should need to do a market research and see how many owners would be willing to invest money on a new PSU that will be seating in a closet doing pretty much the same as the original system and at what price point.

I developed all kinds of needed components for Neve 81/82 series such as a new cpu card for the routing system, which was outdated and could no longer be repaired. I sold quite a few of those at a price that I thought was a bit high, but people had no choice. It was either my card or the console would not be useful in tracking mode, so I was clearly alone. Did I make my money back? nah, but I made the re-sale value of the actual consoles go up, as I bought a bunch of them for almost nothing and was able to refurbish and sell them quick and easy, so my profit at the end was at the resale of the actual console and not on the components that I created.

I really wish that Atomic or other companies could figure out a way to bring their prices down to at least half of what they are at right now and if that happens, I will definitely be a client for both consoles as I no longer wish to be a tech, until then I will have to make sure that my psu's run smoothly.

My $002

xmax

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 10:31:24 PM »
We wish we could bring the price down with our current models, but there would be not enough profit
to stay in business. That said we plan on coming out with a unit for around $3k for up to 56 inputs
depending on type of modules and metering. (There can be as much as a 10 amp difference between a
E and a G+ with plasmas, after all the plasma LED's are driven from the audio rails).

You are also forgetting the energy saved can be dramatic in cities like NYC, where the units generally
will pay for themselves in less than 5 years (as little as 3 in Hawaii and the U.K.).

Last but not least If your desk goes down during a major session with a top dollar client you could lose
$5K in a hurry. That's why we recommend clients keeping their old supplies if the Atomic is destroyed
by a act of God or a plumbing malfunction (who know what could happen!) and you won't even be down
for the day until your replacement unit arrives. 

So far we have had a few $45K months so some people must find them worth while! Cheers. N

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 04:41:25 AM »
Maybe if you structure the price point by separating the E from the G+ and also with and without plasmas on either configuration you should be able to bring the prices down even more.

I have a 4040 with vu meters, so it shouldn't be that difficult.

The Neve 8108 has plasmas as most Neve 81 series so that's not an option.

I am not forgetting the electric costs because here in my studio when I run the SSL, which is not all the time, the electric bill is almost never affected.

That shows that the client demand for analog setup is almost non-existent and will probably not last 5 years in order to justify the investment.

Regarding the board going down, I have 2 spare psu's that I paid $800 each in top shape ready to be swapped at a moment's notice. Way cheaper than spending almost $6K for a psu, regardless of how great it is.

Imagine if the the prices were lower, how much more than $45K a month you would have and the lower cost per unit as a result?

Regards.

xmax

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 05:31:00 AM »
Some people think the sound quality alone is worth the price, some people are really interested in saving energy. Different strokes for different folks. Rock on.

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
Since sound quality is subjective, I prefer to keep my feet on the ground and my cash invested where I will get the most return.

An SSL running with one psu or another will generate the same income regardless if it sounds better or not.

Power supply alone can't change the sound of a board that drastically to justify a $5-6k investment specially this day and age where people are cutting songs from mp3 files from youtube and uploading on soundcloud.

To each their own.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »
and that will be why your client base will never change and be crappy.

If your heart can't supply the blood to your heart, you have crappy health, its the same with a console and it's power supply, except its audio quality that suffers.

Yes, it cost to produce good audio, get over it.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

xmax

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
I have many many emails like this...
Norman,
Well, its been about a year since I got your power supply…
During that time I have built a new studio.
Since May I have been powering up & powering down my console daily without a single problem!
Your power supply is amazing.
So far it seems bullet proof.
I have noticed a very welcome bump in the bottom end of my console and wanted to thank you guys for building this great power supply!
Also, the power consumption is WAY DOWN! I’ve estimated it cost me less than $1.00 (ONE DOLLAR)  an hour to power my console!!!
Many Thanks,
Tom Lord-Alge.

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »
You have no idea of who my clientele is and what they do or the type of operation I run.

Regardless, my clients are recording hits daily mostly without using either my SSL or Neve consoles, so for me as much as I love analog consoles and believe me I don't want to sell the two I have and also have owned more than 20 over the years, all shapes and sizes and have been powering them on and off as needed without any problems, I still watch where and how I invest my money and no matter what anybody says, shelling out $6K for one psu for a format that is pretty much on life support it's just not my idea of spending my money wisely, after all I am running a business.

If the bottom end of a console wasn't present with the original psu, then it was time to rebuild it anyway and for way less than $6K.

In addition, there are other options out there for way less money and from what I have heard from actual users, those units are either doing the same job or better.

By the way I know a thing of two about electronics as I have been a tech for over 20 years.

Most A rate engineers today are either chopping SSL consoles and using 16 channels + the center section as side cars to run stems or simply mixing in the box, that should tell a thing or two about how the market is going and how much money one should invest in this format.

I believe that a great PSU should cost at least half of what the Atomic is going for and if and when that happens, if I still have my boards and haven't bought another unit, I will be a client.

and that will be why your client base will never change and be crappy.

If your heart can't supply the blood to your heart, you have crappy health, its the same with a console and it's power supply, except its audio quality that suffers.

Yes, it cost to produce good audio, get over it.

Alan
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:36:56 PM by nycsudio1 »

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 10:34:38 PM »
I find a bit hard to believe that you have "many many" email from users as I am not aware of more than a few people who have bought your PSU.

Even your website doesn't have a list of more than a few names, so "many many emails" can be a stretch.

Nevertheless good luck with your product and if you figure out a way to bring the prices down to a reasonably acceptable number for me, I will consider it.

xmax

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 11:14:51 PM »
Please share what you "have heard from actual users" that another replacement psu is
As good or better. I'm in NY at the moment I would be happy to meet with you and share with you
What Tom at Electric, the guys at Avatar or the countless other NY clients have to say. Cheers.