Tech discussion > 5K Series console

Got a 5k ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Helterbelter:
Thanks guys !

I will explain more about the setup later on, but I'll do this in a seperate topic. Its setup is thoroughly thought thru, even the amount of channels (3 years back I had more channels and more auxes). There are a few minor things in the controllers that didn't turn out as what I had in mind , and I do have a few experimental additions for the console itself in mind, but other than that... this is the console I wished for. Or actually, the mix summingbox . It's really meant for partial OTB mixing/summing. And a luxurious summingbox it is, hahaha !
By the way, for tracking I mainly use a cutdown DDA and a bunch of 19"channelstrips (Focusrite, Neve, SPL). Even though the SSL works very well to track with, but doesn't have that enough channels for tracking drums.

matt:
Wow - that's a beauty.

Completely customized hybrid beast .... great work.

What exactly did you use for the upper row windows computers ?

Matts

Helterbelter:
Thanks Matthias !
These are used communication aid computers, based on ETX computers, and they're running on Windows XP. Can't really recall the price specs, but it's something like an 800mHz processor with 512 MB ram. Maybe 1024MB.... I took the computers out of the original enclosures and put them in a selfmade enclosure of aluminium.

Performancewise they're not very interesting, obviously, but they perform well enough for Pinguin (audioanalyzer software), and random Midi stuff. I used cheap Behringer stereo audiointerfaces on these for the AD converion, and the latency together with the Pinguin software is near-zero. They respond just as fast as the SL574 PPM LCD meters, maybe even faster. The Phase meter function is faster than the SSL SL575 phasemeter though.

The plus on these is that the processorcooling is fanless, and the C-drives are compactflashcards of 8 GB. So, they're already almost noiseless from the start. The only audible noise is from the backlight inverters, but on 2 of the three computers I replaced the TL backlight with with LED backlights, so I was able to remove the inverter. Also, because the LEDs are dimmable,  I used a normal LM317 type of regulator for it with a pot for the adjustment. I placed the pot externally, in the switchpanel next to the SL544 meterswitcher..

They're powered from the same 230v group as the audiointerfaces, dawcontrollers and the screens, which are automatically turned on when I turn on the DAW computer. In the windows startupfolder of these ETXes I placed a link to the Pinguin software, so I don't need to use a mouse with these. Pinguin starts automatically. And, because Pinguin doesn't need to remember any settings or makes any changes in Windows, you can simply power off the computer by shutting down the 230v, without doing harm to the software.

But Matt, when are you showing your 5k ?
I have a picture of yours on my computer, but it's not up-to-date. I suspect you have the very last Film console in the world by the way......

matt:
I have a hard time finding these ETX thingies used somewhere .... they match perfectly with the penthouse size of the console.
If you have a source for these - let me know.

About showing my console .... I am afraid you have the most current picture.
I was browsing through my files and the youngest one I found was from 2010.
It's at a very small size and I can't seem to find the original :-(.

Anyway, here it is :

Even if it might be the last 5k film console in the world ..... I am trying to modify it a little to support the audio needs as well.
Like : it doesn't have a master fader yet for stereo downmixes.

Current status is :
- 48 Mono channels with surround panning (was 56 but I needed space for the stereo channels)
-  4 Stereo channels (still to be completed - not to be seen on the pic)
- 7.1 surround capabilities
- G+ Ultimation (disabled at the moment until the final configuration is set up)
- 32 mono busses
- 2 Joysticks
- 6 x mono aux
- 2 x stereo aux

Modifications to come :
- Master fader
- better stereo monitoring/talkback functions (SL550 / SL555)
- 4 more stereo channels (maybe)
- 4 stereo subgroups
- 4 Independent main outputs
- Mono / Stereo compressors (patchable)
- different multitrack control
- improved stereo routing
- Total Recall computer SL590
- probably improved routing (about the hardest to come by)
- improved optical monitoring with TFTs in the centre section penthouse (like the ETXes :-) .. )
- DAW machine control at the fingertips

I love the integration of the DAW keyboard and trackball (you remember that one, Paul - still thankful you gave it to me).
But it chews up space for more modules.
So I was also thinking of expanding the centre section to the left (half bay maybe).

I guess we'll see a lot more pics in the first half of 2016.
The room is way to small but this is something I can't change at the moment.

If someone is interested, I can post some pics of the disassembly / assembly - maybe in an extra thread.

Matt

jamorstudio:
SSL SL5032M, 2013 installed in Jamor Studio, Prague, Czech Republic,
originally ordered 1987 for czech recording label Supraphone, later out of work somewhere int the corner. Now mostly working, but having some troubles with IR, duplex cards and multitrack routing buzz on a few channels. (sorry for silly photo)

greetz
Ondrej Jezek
www.jamor.org

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version