Author Topic: 4032E Build  (Read 38961 times)

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: 4032E Build - Help!
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2020, 08:37:29 AM »
Hi all,

After a very successful day finalising and testing the computer, I have come across an error which I cannot find any reference to.
When generating SMPTE to tape, it stops after around 30sec to 1min with "Error: Code 23"
Prior to this, I have noticed that the SMPTE is generated clocking x1.37 faster than the tape machine counter. I had put down 62sec of SMPTE (by the tape machine counter), though it had generated 1min 25sec on the SSL computer. I suspect a clocking error here in the SMPTE generator, though cannot work out where its master clock comes from, other than pin 63 on the edge connector.

In addition, I have been getting the odd error on booting : "System timer is too slow to control Tape Machine" , and once or twice "System clock not working"

As there is no schematic for the processor board, I'm not sure where to start. Has anyone come across this before??
Any help is massively appreciated.

Anthony.

Error while generating SMPTE

Setup of Otari MTR90 II machine

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: 4032E Build
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2020, 10:12:11 AM »
Some good news on the TR computer. Seems to load up, save, and play back setups. Even got the screensaver!
All this without the TR Bus Driver card being installed, and hence, no multiplex cards. I have a few test multiplex cards arriving tomorrow, and the computer bypass unit finally arrived from Japan.

For the system timer issue, I'm feeling it's the 4x AA batteries on the Tape Machine card. I'll replace those with some known brand ones. Any suggestions otherwise?

Anthony.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2020, 04:50:21 AM »
Hi all,

TR system is now fully functional. I received two trial boards, and after a bit of debugging, got it all working perfectly. Now to acquire a truck-load more 03 boards.

Today was spent developing a virtual tape machine to allow the DAW computer to work with the SSL computer.
The core is an ATMEGA32, using an Arduino Uno.

Seems to go OK, but needs some tweaking on the tach rates and switching logic.

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2020, 03:53:37 PM »
I have been following this post intently and somewhat in awe! Amazing, especially in the time frame. But I am also a little jealous. I have to pay $1000 for a Konnector or Smart 2Tools and $4000 for a new modern power supply. I guess I should have paid more attention in school!

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2020, 03:37:41 AM »
I have been following this post intently and somewhat in awe! Amazing, especially in the time frame. But I am also a little jealous. I have to pay $1000 for a Konnector or Smart 2Tools and $4000 for a new modern power supply. I guess I should have paid more attention in school!

A lot of development had gone it to both the Konnector and Atomic, so I don't see any issues with them recouping their time and costs. I spent roughly 100 hours on research for my PSUs, even though there is less than US$500 worth of parts in it. The market is not huge for these items, so a fair mark-up is required per unit.

The official Konnector obviously has been well thought out and tested. My virtual tape machine has taken about 30 hours of development, and all it does is mimic the tach and direction of a tape machine, to allow the mix to locate and be ready for update. I'm looking to add in MMC soon so that once located, the SSL transport controls will start up the DAW. Maybe a nice MTC display as well, but that is not 100% necessary.

Anthony

WiktorTRS

• mazowieckie
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2020, 07:55:36 AM »
Great respect for this project!
I always wondered why the console automation needs two time information: SMPTE and pulses from MTR.
After all, SMPTE would be enough to locate an update punch-in place. In fact it works without pulses with only SMPTE connected. Is there any inaccuracy with no pulse reading?
Regards
Wiktor

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »
Hi Wiktor,

I believe the way it works, is to accurately “estimate” position when locating, by using the tach pulses. Exactly the same way a tape machine locates with tach pulses (eg: my Otari MTR90). When the tape machine goes in to play and with a track striped with SMPTE, the SMPTE takes over and provides the exact position the mix is referenced to. This can either be slaved off the SSL with a synchroniser controlling the tape machine capstan speed, or SMPTE provided to the SSL and the SSL will follow.
But, it needs the initial tach to get to the “start” position of the mix to be updated, before going in to READY state.
Anyone please jump in and correct me. All the above is assumed, based off the behaviour of the transport I have witnessed.

Anthony.

WiktorTRS

• mazowieckie
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
Yes, you may be right. Pulses may help SSL to catch up after winding tape or changing location in DAW so updating starts exactly when you PLAY on DAW or MTR with no delay. Probably reading pulses is easier and faster for SSL computer then translating SMPT. I'm just guessing... I am only locked with SMPTE and sometimes I have to wait 1 - 3 sec. for automation to catch actual levels after changing position. Anyway, fantastic job! Congratulations! :-)

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
And of course,  SMPTE cannot be read when the tape is spooling.
Midi Transport Control integration is nearly complete.
Will post some photos and videos in the coming days.

Anthony.

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2020, 03:21:15 AM »
The tach pulses are used when the machine is in wind, to give you the rough location. Then once SMPTE is being read, everything locks to it. Boxes like the Konnector simulate the tach pulses. I think from memory if you are locking to Protools, you can use MTC output from Protools when you play a bit.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
Here is a short video of the prototype board.
I'm short a midi din connector, and once that's sorted, can install it in to the console.

A few of the midi commands need to be fine tuned.

The fast wind speed of Cubase (OK admission here - I'm not a protools person), matches exactly the tach rate - 10x play rate, so it should move relatively in sync with the SSL timecode clock. When dropped in to play, the SMPTE generated in Cubase will drive the SSL computer.

Anthony.

https://youtu.be/ArdG4_2XE7k

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:22:23 AM by horizonsound »

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2020, 05:19:44 AM »
Hi all,

A couple of big days finalising this virtual tape machine.
Machine control complete. Added Midi Time Code returned from the computer.
3D printed a matching bezel, and installed it in the meter bridge.
Top line shows tape machine status, with frame rate on the far right. Timecode on second line.
The code still needs a bit of work as there are a few glitches in it, but overall it does the job.

https://youtu.be/XjrcJyvBRcg

Main Board

Display

Midi Breakout Board

Rear of Bezel

Front of Bezel

Audioplatinum Service

• Zagreb, CROATIA
    • Embrio Production Studio
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »
Really nice work Anthony!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

"A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind..."

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: HELP ! - 32E Build
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2020, 05:57:50 AM »
Hey everyone,

Is there any technical information that exists around the 4100 processor board?
I am working on using a SCSI2SD emulator, to hopefully emulate the Bernoulli drive. After setting it up with all the info I have, the computer is throwing up a "SASI Interface Not Responding" error.
In the service manual, this points to a processor error  :(

Surely some documentation would exist somewhere on the processor? Or, has anyone been successful (or not), in using a SCSI emulator for the Bernoulli drives?
There does not seem to be anything special regarding the setup of the drive. It's a direct connection via the 50 pin IDC to the processor board. The Bernoulli as I understand, was an OEM from Iomega.

Anthony.

Audioplatinum Service

• Zagreb, CROATIA
    • Embrio Production Studio
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2020, 07:32:47 AM »
Anthony,

maybe is problem in speed of interface,floppy emulators...

125/150/250Kbits/s (FM/SD floppies)
250/300Kbits/s (MFM/DD floppies)
500Kbits/s (HD floppies)

Cheers,
Damir

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

"A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind..."