Author Topic: Replacement Computer Monitor  (Read 12212 times)

michaeldtech

• 2Q
Re: Replacement Computer Monitor
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
The DVS 304.  I changed the typo in the earlier post.  If you see a good deal for a DVS 304A get it.  The only difference is that it adds audio switching.
They are loving the SSL/Mac display in the console!
Mike

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
Ok I'm going in.  I'll report back with my progress.  I'm feeling good about this one. 

James

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 06:25:24 AM »
Ok, unbelievably I found a fellow selling one the Extron boxes in my neighborhood, which I took as a decent omen.  I feel like I'm so close to getting this to work I can taste it, and I'm not giving up now.  Here's where I'm at:

1. Connected RGBS BNC cables coming from console computer to BNC to VGA adaptor that plugs into the 15 pin input 4 on the Extron box. (The adaptor has a gray and black wire for sync, tried both, not sure which is correct?)

2. Input 4 on Extron box detects RGBcvS signal, on Auto Detect.  That's exactly what it says on display.  I went into settings and tried other settings as well.  This seems right to me though?

3. Came out BNC output connectors via a BNC to VGA adaptor, plugged VGA cable into monitor. (Again, not sure where the gray or black sync plug should go, tried several configurations) 

4. Selected VGA input on monitor, shows No Signal no matter what I do.  Tried many different resolution outputs on the Extron box, no dice.

5. Should I be coming straight out of the 15 pin connector output on Extron straight to monitor?  Need to grab one of those cables if that's the case.

What other settings am I possibly jacking up here?  I feel like I've tried them all, but there's always one little demon lurking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I readily admit to not understanding some of the basics of what's happening here.  Thanks in advance.

James

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »
Holy hell I got it working, pics to come!!!!

James

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »
Here's some pics of the new monitor!  Phone camera photo doesn't do it justice.  Image is sharp and clear, much better than the previous CRT monitor.  In my case it looks the best with setting input to RGB Scaled, rather than the RGBcvS the unit auto detected.  Much sharper and less stretched.  I played around with some other settings as well to find optimum results for my situation.

Besides the nerve damage, blood, sweat and tears involved with trying to figure this out over the last several months, the cost was very minimal.  $100 for the Extron DVS 304, $99 for a new 20 inch Insignia monitor.  Who knows, I may grab a bigger monitor and wall mount it in the near future.

I feel like I've won a major battle, and could not have done it without the help of everyone on this forum.  What a great place.  Thanks so much to you all!

James       

michaeldtech

• 2Q
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »
Noice!

unitedreco

• chicago,Il
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
Step 1 go to ebay, type in Nec multisync....now pick a screen size and done. Worked for us and our ssl 6k, we grabbed a 46" nec multisync monitor with all sorts of inputs on it from the bnc's to the hdmi for $450 shipped. Make sure you get a remote as well and that it has the bnc connectors on it.

PS...some say scan converters will work ...some will but many wont unless they convert Pal(european) to NTSC(usa) thats the key...hence the multisync....2 cents worth
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:30:46 AM by unitedreco »
Rae Nimeh

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 05:03:49 AM »
I just installed an identical box and now have my automation on a 46" Toshiba.

The only problem I am having is when I go to total recall screen. The image is not as solid and when I turn any knobs the image gets cut off and then returns.

I will try with a smaller lcd monitor like the one you have and see what happens, in the meantime please let me know if you had a similar problem at some point or still have and if you know of a good working configuration/setup.

Many thanks.

unitedreco

• chicago,Il
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 03:43:11 AM »
NYC

check your setup menu, look for clock and clock phase, or h or v setting , also check your firmware version. That box died on me many years ago and its long since been retired but i know that box works as it does pal, thats the important thing, also the box is a scaler so you have to play around a bit, i gave up as the newer boxes were in the thousands of dollars and went with a 46"multisync screen off ebay. Play around with the settings itll get it you wont mess anything up and once it works save the setup dont touch it ever again, they can be very finicky and your toshiba can be tempermental as well depending on how your going into it. Also extron should have a manual on their site as well firmware updates. Just my 2cents worth
Rae Nimeh

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 05:44:25 AM »
Many thanks for the tips.

I will check their website for manual and firmware updates and will spend some time with the box. I will also try a smaller lcd computer monitor to see if there's an improvement.